The Library of Congress

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Pages Available: 9,865,634

The Frankfort Weekly Roundabout was one of many newspapers covering Kentucky's state capital and the surrounding area during the early 20th century. Established by Claude Buckley in September 1877, the paper claimed to be "Devoted to Local and Society News." The Weekly Roundabout was popular from its start and by July 1880 boasted the "Largest Circulation in City and County."

Buckley was a resourceful businessman, and his careful handling of the Roundabout was a major factor in the paper's success. The initial funding for the publication came solely from advertisements. As a result, the first volume, containing 11 issues, was offered free of charge to the public, assuring a loyal, paying readership for subsequent volumes. After the first volume, 25 cents would secure a subscription, which offered readers four to eight pages of news every Saturday.

The Roundabout's devotion to the citizens of the Franklin County area was evident. In addition to the agricultural reports, personal news, and serial literature often published in turn-of-the- century newspapers, the Weekly Roundabout included news about daily occurrences as well, such as correspondence from neighborhoods and surrounding towns. The paper even detailed monthly statistical reports of Sunday school attendance at area churches, as well as their tithe amounts and visitors.

The Weekly Roundabout published an array of unique and specialized material, too. In 1881, Campbell Edmonson James' "A Short History of Franklin County, Kentucky"--a historical and statistical report of the county--appeared in the paper. Editor Buckley also composed historical content of note. In October 1877, he began a series on the schools of Frankfort, covering the histories of institutions such as the City School and Greenwood Female Seminary.

Buckley served as the editor of the Weekly Roundabout for the entirety of the paper’s existence. In June 1878, he was joined by George A. Lewis, former reporter for the Kentucky Yeoman, another Frankfort paper. Two years later, in 1880, Lewis bought Buckley's share of the paper. He then changed the name of the publication to theFrankfort Roundabout, a paper that would continue for three decades to promote the same local and community values that the Weekly Roundabout had advocated during the four years of its existence.

Provided by: University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY