The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The Hood River sun.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Pages Available: 11,272,136

Title:
The Hood River sun. volume : (None) 1899-19??
Geographic coverage:
  • Hood River, Hood River County, Oregon  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Dates of publication:
1899-19??
Description:
  • Began with Vol. 1, No. 1 (September 28, 1899).
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Hood River (Or.)--Newspapers.
  • Hood River County (Or.)--Newspapers.
  • Oregon--Hood River County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214055
  • Oregon--Hood River.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01221354
  • Oregon--Wasco County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01210249
  • Wasco County (Or.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Description based on: Vol. 1, No. 1 (September 28, 1899); title from masthead.
  • Latest issue consulted: Vol. 1, No. 20 (February 8, 1900).
LCCN:
2015260100
OCLC:
902680973
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

The Hood River sun. volume September 28, 1899, Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

The Hood River Sun

In the heart of the Columbia River Gorge lies the historic town of Hood River, Oregon. Stumbled upon by the Lewis and Clark Expedition in 1805 and settled shortly thereafter, Hood River was incorporated in 1895. Originally, Hood River was named Dog River. However, Mary Coe, an early pioneer, objected to the name and worked to change it. The town developed into a major fruit producer. It later became home to other industries, including software engineering and technology, timber, and health care.

Sloan P. Shutt arrived in Hood River in the 1890s. Shutt was known for establishing newspapers throughout Oregon. Once in Hood River, he declared the town's need for a second newspaper to rival the Hood River Glacier. Thus, the Hood River Sun was born. The first issue was published on September 28, 1899. The last was printed a few months later, on February 8, 1900. There were only 20 issues.

In its first few weeks, the Sun was delivered to homes without charge in order to attract interest. Eventually, a yearlong subscription went for $1.50; a six-month subscription, $1; and a three-month subscription, $0.75. The newspaper was published weekly, coming out on Thursdays, and it featured a seven-column, four-page spread.

A Republican paper, the Sun focused on topics ranging from news to food prices. Its weekly sections were "Local and General," "Correspondence: Live local news from the surrounding country," "The News of the Week," and "Pacific Coast News, Commercial and Financial Happenings of Interest in the Growing Western States." Each issue had a classifieds section and featured advertisements for groceries, merchandise, services, rent, and lumber.

Just four weeks after publishing the first issue, Sloan left the newspaper because of mining interests in Sumter, Oregon. He leased the Sun to Eber R. Bradley. The first issue under Bradley was published on October 26, 1899. Yet, Bradley was unable to keep the paper going. He closed up shop in February 1900, which was when Shutt moved the presses to Granite, Oregon, where Shutt founded the Granite Gem newspaper.

Even in its short life, the Sun was not devoid of drama. In the November 2, 1899 issue, Shutt responded to a Glacier article by Samuel F. Blythe, who had accused Shutt of advertising for stores outside Hood River and abandoning the Sun because of a lack of revenue. Shutt's defense ended with: "So, Mr. Glacier, try to brush aside this mossback hostility towards new comers and enterprises that are here or may come for the purpose of assisting in the advancement and upbuilding of Hood River Valley. No good can come from such a selfish course. Live and let live is a grand and noble motto."

Provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR