Newspaper Page Text
THE INDIAN ADVOCATE.
Plot brought greater hardships upon
the Catholics, and compelled many of
the priests to retire from England.
Among these was a certain Dom August
ine Bradshaw, an Englishman, who had
become a Benedictine monk in the great
abbey of St. Martin, at Compostella, in
Spain. In 1605 he conceived the idea
of establishing Benedictine communi
ties near to England, to be read' to
serve on the English mission.' He
therefore settled in the university town
of Douai, situated in what was then a
part of the Spanish Low Countries, and
gathered together a few of his religious
brethren, and accepted scholars for
education. This was the beginning of
St. Gregory's College.
By the blessing of God the house
flourished. It supplied many mission
aries to England; of its members four
shed their blood for the truth, while
many suffered imprisonment; it took
prominent part in the studies and
teaching of the University of Douai,
and it kept up a flourishing school for
the education of the sons of the Cath
olic gentry of England. The list of
Gregorian students of the seventeenth
and eighteenth. centuries, fragmentary
though it is, is filled with names illus
trious and staunch in Catholic annals;
Acton, Middleton, Sheldon, Selby,
Howard, Stourton, Smythe, Eyston,
Anderton, Riddell, Moore, Swinburne,
Canning, Errington, Lawson, Langdale,
and many others occur.
Progress was made in peace, till the
upheaval of the French Revolution in
1793 came, and undid the whole work.
Monasteries and schools ceased to exist,
and the English monks, after vicissi
tudes of imprisonment and danger, de
termined to seek their native land. On
March 2, 1795, the remnant of the
community of St. Gregory's landed at
Dover, and a new era commenced at
Acton Burnell, in the county of Salop.
Downside property was transferred by
purchase to them, and the community
and students readied their new abode
on May 1, 1814, and St. Gregory's
monastery and college commenced.
Downside is situated twelve miles
from the city of Bath, and on the an
cient Roman Foss Way. It stands on
the upper slopes of the wide-spreading
Mendip hills, in the county of Somer
set, and it- nearly six hundred feet
above the level of the sea. It is a pro
verbially healthy spot, and few there
are, even of most delicate constitution,
who have not thriven in its clear and
The numbers of students for past
years have varied between 80 and 100.
We do not aim at taking more than a
hundred. At the present time the
students in residence number 80.
The college is not particularly for
ecclesiastical students. It is a lay
college, instructing boys for careers in
the world; vocations to the priesthood,
and to religious orders are, however,
by no means rare, and the community
is recruited mainly from the school.
The full school course is seven years,
ending with the London matriculation
examination. Generally, however, we
have a few staying for their degreos
ST. AUGUSTINE'S, RAMSGATE.
Like Downside and Ampleforth is
St. Augustine's college, Ramsgate, a
splendid stone building, and has many
very handsome and characteristic ar
chitectural features. It receives from
60 to 100 students. The course of stud
ies is high class, and comprises all
that is necessary for university matri
culation. The monastery and college
are remarkable for being built in the
district, in which St. Augustine, the
Apostle of England, landed and first
preached, on being sent by Pope St.
Gregory the Great to evangelize the
The college and monastery date only
from the year 1856, when the Cassinese