Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: Oklahoma Historical Society
Newspaper Page Text
fw'''pyw'rvwwinrvrr':y f"tuft ywn
THE INDIAN ADVOCATE.
tlie Right Rev. Bishop and the driver
found themselves in the soft mud. For
tunately no bones were broken; only
the top of the buggy was gone, and in
stead the travelers had received a new
coat: ''of mud." The Bishop took it
with his usual jovial humor; this was
the crowning incident of his six long
weeks traveling through a rough territory.
DEDICATION OF A NEW CHURCH.
For over a year many busy hands
have been at work at Sacred Heart on
the building of a new church, as tho
former chapel was entirely too small
for the great numbers that Hocked to it.,
especially on great festivals. It caused
great pain to the heart of the good Su
perior of the Benedictine Fathers to see
so many people, some coming from a
distance of twenty or twenty-live miles,
not able to enter the church for want
of room, but obliged to remain outside
during the services. Therefore it has
been his' greatest desire for several
years past, to have a church erected
where the poor Indians as well as the
white settlers of tho vicinity might con
veniently assist at tho divine services.
Forty miles from any railroad, in the
midst of poor Indians, it seemed almost
absurd to think of erecting a church.
The Indians and their Missionaries
were too poor to commence such a work,
but God never deserts those who work
for his honor and glory. The Fathers
sent petitions for aid all over the United
States, and one of their number under
took the diflicult task of collecting for
this laudable object. The charity that
Our Lord left to His true followers as
their inheritance, 1 must say, was
shown by many on this occasion; and
with the help received the nliurch was
begun, and with the aid of occasional
donations the work was carried on.
Lt is not built on sand, but on a good
rock foundation, which is in some
places seven foot high; so 1 think that
"tho rain may fall, and the Hoods come,
and the winds blow, and may beat upon
that church, and it will not fall."
Our now Bishop blessed the corner
stone on his first pastoral visit to
Sacred Heart in October 1S01. Under
such an auspicious commencement the
church went up steadily, till at last
"Heu Citoss-CiiowxKD Spire"
towered far above the surrounding hills.
The day of its dedication was looked
forward to as one of general rejoicing
for the nation. People were expected
from the country and towns twenty and
twenty-five miles distant.
The Bishop, after six weeks of travel
over the twin territories by rail and
coach on his second pastoral visit, ar
rived here on the Sunday previous, and
passed the week in visiting Tecumseh,
Burnettc, and Oberlin, and came back
again on Thursday. During the week
many of our Missionary Fathers ar
rived, which added more joy and splen
dor to the feast, as most of them had
not seen their dear home of Sacred
Heart for over a year.
Sunday at last arrived. The weather
was unfavorable to the great disappoint
ment of many, as it had been rainy for
some days previous. On this account
tho great number expected did not
come; many, however, came regardless
of the weather.
The bells of the monastery rung
wildly over the hills and through the
woods, their sweet sound entering the
quiet cottages of the poor Indians, in
viting them to come to the great solem
nity. At 10 o'clock tho last signal for
the services was given, and the pro
cession of the clergy and religious, fol
lowed by the oflicers and Bishop, pro
ceeded from tho old church and stoppod
in front of the new edifice, where the
Bishop began the prayers of dedication.
Soon tho procession was again in mo
tion, going around the church, tho
Bishop performing the blessing, the
clergy and religious singing psalms..