Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: Oklahoma Historical Society
Newspaper Page Text
410 THE INDIAN ADVOCATE
homa; it was founded toward the close of the year 1886, fy
by the Rt. Rev. Isidore Robot. He built a small frame
church and a parish school which he entrusted to the care
of Sisters of mercy from Sacred Heart. The parish of
Krebs has grown remarkably: at present it contains about
two thousand members, most of whom are engaged in the ,
numerous coal mines in the vicinity. The parish has a
handsome church edifice, a large convent and a parish
school, taught by seven Sisters of Mercy. The parish was
in Father Robot's own charge until the time of his death
in 1887, when it passed into the hands of his coadjutor,
the present Abbot of Sacred Heart who governed it until
his election as Abbot. At present two Benedictine Fathers
have charge of the congregation.
The parish of McAlester was established in 1890 by the
present Abbot of Sacred Heart, then pastor of Krebs. ,
However, the congregation was very small and poor
and jt was not until 1895 that a church was begun.
There were many difficulties in the way of its completion,
but the work was accomplished, and today McAlester pos-
sesses a fine stone church.
The Indian mission of Anadarko was established about
1890 by the Benedictine Fathers. The mission is equipped
with a beautiful chapel and several large buildings which
accommodate over one hundred Indian children of the Kio
wa, Commanche, Apache and other tribes who are taught
by seven Sisters. A number of children of the famous
Geronimo band have been educated at the mission . The
Benedictine Fathers who are in charge of the mission also
attend the parish church in the city of Anadarko.
There is also a Branch-house of Sacred Heart Abbey
at Monte - Bello in the diocese of Los Angeles, Cali-
The Fathers residing at this house are engaged in giv
ing missions particularly to the immigrants from the South
of France who have settled in great numbers in California-
, (To be Continued).