Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: Oklahoma Historical Society
Newspaper Page Text
THE INDIAN ADVOCATE
Our Rt. Rev. Bishop Thcophile Meerschaert will admini
ster the Sacrament of Confirmation at Krebs and McAlester
on Sundev Feb. 13. At the same time he will make the re
gular visitation of the Catholic churches of those places.
Mr. Aiex. Crayn of Wewoka was a welcome guest at Sacred
Heart Abbey on Feb. 8. Mr. Crayn was one of the first friends
of the Benedictines in Oklahoma over thirty years ago. He
a:companied the late Abbot Robot on his first visit to the
present site of Sacred Heart.
The Feast of St. Scholastica, sister of Our Holy Father
St. Benedict, was celebrated with the usual solemnity at Sa
cred Heart Abbey, on Feb 10. The feast was signalized, this
year, by the religious profession mentioned above.
Mr. Joseph Nona and Miss Tilda Curley were united in the holy
bonds of Matrimony on Feb. 8. in the parish church at Sacred
Heart, Rev. Fr. Maurus, the pastor, officiating. The students'
band gave the young couple a delightful serenade in the after
noon. Mr. Nona was a pupil at Sacred Heart College two
yjarsago. His early studies were made at Cornwells, Ps.
where he was a pupil of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament.
He has lately been engaged in professional base-ball and has
won considerable distinction in this line of Athletics. The
Advocate wishes the young couple many years of happiness.
Rev. Father Blaise, O. S. B. pastor of St. Benedict's Church,
Shawree, has oiganized a Catechism Class for the Catholic
pupils of Shawnee Indian School. Instruction is given every
Sunday to a large number of young Catholic Indians. Rev.
Fr. Blaise is highly pleased with the courtesy and fairness dis
played by the faculty of the Shawnee School.