Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1924 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: Oklahoma Historical Society
Newspaper Page Text
THE INDIAN ADVOCATE
can found on the grounds, and scoured, was converted into a
Father Felix DeGrasse, O. S. B. (afterward Abbot of Sa
cred Heart,) and Father Savinian Louismet, O. S. B., were
the missionaries for the Osage Reservation at the time; they,
too, were very poor; then beds were made of horse blankets.
In the chapel the altar was made up of doors and flour barrels,
while nail kegs, with boards stretched across, served for ben
ches. School opened December i, 1887, the Government having
granted a contract for seventy-five girls.
The Sisters were indefatigable in their efforts to promote
tho spiritual and temporal welfare of their young charges.
After two years of up-hill work pupils came in in such num
bers that a larger building became necessary. One was pur
chased and completely furnished, but it was destroyed by fire
during night the work of an incendiary. The inmatos had a
narrow escape. Fortunately no one wat injured.
The present building is a magnificent four-story stone struc
ture, erected by the munificence of Mother M. Katherine Dre
xel, of Philadelphia, and speaks volumes for her ieal in be
half of the noble red man.
It is delightfully located west of Pawhuska, just outside the
city limits, on a tract of one hundred and sixty acres of land,
donated by the Indians. The environment is picturesque and
The school is in a flourishing condition and no effort is spa
red by the Sisters of St. Francis, under the wise direction of
their Superior-General, to imbue the pupils with a deep love
for religion and morality, to develop them intellectually, to
safeguard their health, and to familiarize them with the do
mestic arts. Much credit is due Father Edward Van Waes
berghe for his strict attention to the religious and moral in
struction of the pupils throughout the scholastic course. Thus
the Osage girls who attend St. Louis,' under the careful tute
lage of the Sisters and the wise guidance of the missionary,
grow up equipped for the'battle of life with faith, good prin
ciples, and a practical education.