Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The philanthropist [microform]. (Mt. Pleasant, Ohio) 1817-1822
Mt. Pleasant, Ohio (1817-1822)
The philanthropist [microform]. : (Mt. Pleasant, Ohio) 1817-1822
- Place of publication:
- Mt. Pleasant, Ohio
- Geographic coverage:
| View more titles from this:
- Charles Osborn
- Dates of publication:
-v. 1, no. 16 (Dec. 26, 1817); [new ser.] v. 1, no. 1 (Twelfth Mo. 11, 1818)-v. 7, no. 26 (May 15, 1822).
Began with: V. 1, no. 1 (Aug. 29, 1817).
- Jefferson County (Ohio)--Newspapers.
- Mount Pleasant (Jefferson County, Ohio)--Newspapers.
- Ohio--Jefferson County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217675
- Ohio--Mount Pleasant (Jefferson County)--fast--(OCoLC)fst01319185
- Description based on: V. 1, no. 13 (Twelfth month 5th 1817).
- Edited by Elisha Bates, the Philanthropist was an antislavery paper which was chiefly notable for Benjamin Lundy's antislavery writings. Agriculture and mechanics were given some attention, and the proceedings of the state and national legislatures, brief news items, and poetry were also published. Cf. American periodicals, 1741-1900.
- Established Aug. 29, 1817 by Charles Osborn and purchased by Elisha Bates on Oct. 8, 1818. Bates adopted a new series volume numbering. Cf. Brigham. History and bibliography of American newspapers 1690-1820.
- Imperfect copy: scattered pages, issues lacking. Many pages have faded print. Film lacks: Vol. 1, no. 1-6, 8-12.
- Imprint varies: published Dec. 11, 1818-May 15, 1822, by Elisha Bates.
- sf 88093250
View complete holdings information