Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The American farmer [microform]. (Baltimore) 1849-1871
The American farmer [microform]. : (Baltimore) 1849-1871
- Alternative Titles:
American farmer, and spirit of the agricultural journals of the day
- Place of publication:
- Geographic coverage:
| View more titles from this:
- [Samuel Sands
- Dates of publication:
Ceased with: 7th ser., [v. 2 (Dec. 1871?)].
[4th ser.] v. 5, no. 1 (July 1849)-v. 14 ([June] 1859); 5th ser., v. 1 (July 1859)-v. 3 (Dec. 1861); 6th ser., v. 1 (July 1866)-v. 4 (Dec. 1869); 7th ser., v. 1, no. 1 (Jan. 1870)-
- Baltimore (Md.)--Newspapers.
- Imprint varies: published later by Frank Lewis.
- Pagination is irregular. Some pages are stained. Ser. 4, vols. 9-10, 13: many pages are tightly bound. Ser. 5, vol. 3: contains six issues only rather than the usual twelve. A discrepancy between the Union List of Serials and our microfilm edition arises in Series 6 and 7. Series 6 contains only four volumes rather than five, dated July 1866-Dec. 1869. Series 7 contains one volume as reported, but the volume is dated Jan.-Dec. 1870. No 1871 issues were located.
- Proceedings of the 2nd-11th (1849-1858) annual meetings of the Maryland State Agricultural Society are included in [4th ser.] v. 5-14.
- Publication suspended from [Jan.?] 1862 to June 1866, inclusive.
- The American Farmer was one of the most successful of the early farm papers and had the endorsement of such men as Jefferson, Madison, and Pickering. Founded by John S. Skinner, a postmaster at Baltimore, this partly eclectic magazine began as an eight-page quarto devoted to "rural economy, internal improvements, news, prices current," and ran through a dozen series to its end in 1897. It was illustrated throughout its long life, and contained news on agriculture, horticulture, and livestock, market prices, and activities of agricultural societies. Cf. American periodicals, 1741-1900.
- Title from caption.
- sf 89090732
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
View complete holdings information