Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1925 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Telegraf. (Chicago, Ill.) 1892-19??
Chicago, Ill. (1892-19??)
- Telegraf. : (Chicago, Ill.) 1892-19??
- Place of publication:
- Chicago, Ill.
- Geographic coverage:
- C.F. Pettkoske
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1892.
- Chicago (Ill.)--Newspapers.
- Polish Americans--Illinois--Chicago--Newspapers.
- Polish Americans.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01068870
- Polish people--Illinois--Chicago--Newspapers.
- Polish people.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01715992
- Description based on: Rok. 2, no. 1 (6 stycz., 1898).
- In Polish.
- Latest issue consulted: Rok. 71, no. 52 (Dec. 28, 1917).
- Preservation microfilmed in cooperation with the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library as part of the United States Newspaper Program; the years 1892-1917 (on 8 microfilm reels) are available for purchase from OCLC Preservation Service Centers.
- Publisher: The Polish Daily Telegraf Publishing Company, <May 31-November 7, 1892>.
- Suspended 1894-1896.
- Various incorrect numbering; various erroneous chronological designations.
- sn 00062200
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Chicago Polish-language weekly the Telegraf began on June 1, 1892, as a personal organ of its editor Henryk Nagiel, who only stayed with the paper through October 1892. He was succeeded by J. Rybakowski, who assumed the position of editor and remained with the Telegraf until 1894. With his departure, the paper ceased publishing for two years. M.J. Szameit took over as publisher and editor and resumed printing until the turn of the century when C.F. Pettkoske assumed the position of editor. Pettkoske remained with the Telegraf for nearly 20 years, and in 1903, changed the paper’s political affiliation from Democratic to Republican. In 1918, Edward L. Kolakowski bought the paper from Pettkoske, and in 1924 his wife, S.H. Kolakowski served as editor. Kolakowski returned the paper to its Democratic roots and remained with the Telegraf until its demise in 1939.
The changes in personnel brought changes in the frequency of publication, as well as political affiliation. The Telegraf appeared daily from 1892 to 1905 and weekly after 1906. During its first Democratic period, the Telegraf was affiliated with the Polish-American fraternal organization, the Polish Roman Catholic Union of America.