Search America's historic newspapers pages from - or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
title: 'The Washington critic. (Washington City, D.C.) 1890-1890, May 03, 1890, Image 3',
meta: 'News about Chronicling America - RSS Feed',
Image provided by: Library of Congress, Washington, DC
All ways to connect
Inspector General |
External Link Disclaimer |
THE WASHINGTON OHJTIO, SATURDAY EVENING, MAY 3, 1SJ0.
IBB VISITORS' GDE.
THE GOVERNMENT BDILDINOS.
I'liTlMf Squnrofli Stntucfl, (lardon, nnil
Other I'uliits or Attrnctloln
TOE WAY TO lllUmi TIIE3I,
Washington Is fast boeomlnB tlio most at
tractive city of tho country. As tho Cnpllnl of
tbo Nation Itprosontsmoro objeots of lntcront
to the visiter than any otlior on tbocontlnont,
and nbrlof directory of Its prominent points
will bo of Bcrvlco to tho vast numbor of por
eons who annually resort to tho polltloal
metropolis. Tor It Is estimated thatovor thrco
hundred thousand utruneers pay a visit ovory
vtar tu this city to behold tlio varied obleotB
of Interest which so thickly stud tho bislorlo
'Ten Miles Suuaro."
The System of Numbering Houses.
Numbers are displayed over tho entrances
to all housi-s, and tho deolmal Byslom. as
adopted In Philadelphia. Is usod onolmndrod
'numbers bcliiK allotted to each square or
phioK comnicnolns at First street west, run
nine west. First street cast, running oast, A
street north ruttnlnj? north, and A street south
runnlna south. Tho odd numbors nro nlways
on tho rlsht-hnndsldo going from tho Capitol,
and the even numbors on tho left-hand side.
Tho city Is divided Into four quarters or sec
tions, northeast and northwest, southeast and
southwest) tho Btrcets being designated ac
cordlncly; tboso running north and south nu
merically, and thosorunnlnff cast and wcit by
the letters of tho alphabet, tho dividing linos
bclnp North and SouthCapltol streets, running
on a lino duo north and south from tho Capitol
and East Capitol Btreot, ond tho continuation
on tho sarao west of tho Capitol, running duo
cast and west.
This Kreat bnlldlngls tho central point of
tho original District, and Is tbo largest odlfioo
In tho country. Its centre marks tho Mo
redlan of Wnrhlngton. The mlddlo portion,
Immediately under tho domo, Is tho part first
built. It was partially destroyod by tbo
liritlsli In 181-1, but was completely rostorod
by lb'.27. It Incloses tho "crypt" whero tho
romalns of Washington wero lntonded to bo
placed, tho Library, tbo Rotunda, tho old
icopresentatlves' Hall, now tho ilallcry of
Statuary, and tho old Scnato Chamber, now
thoSupiemo Court-room. Tho old Supremo
Conn-room, In tho first story, Is now occupied
by tho Law Branch of tho Library. Tho
corncr-stono of tho Capitol oxtonsion tho
north and south wings was laid July 4,
1851,l)an!crWobstcr delivering tho oration
of tho occasion from tho balcony of tho
Library The south wing oontalns tho Houso
of Iteprcsentatlvcs nnd tho north wing tho
Bennto Chamber. Tho Rotunda Is dlstln
Bulshed for Its hlstorlo paintings, for tho
lamous bronzo doors, with their alto rollers,
and for Brumldl's fresooings In tho Hall of
Statuary are the natural pictures In Potomao
marble, representing faes of certain Ameri
can statesmen a plctnresquo freak of nature.
From tho llttlo rotunda, Immediately north of
the great rotunda, thostnlrcaso to tho top of
tho domo bogins Its winding way. From tho
top of tho dome, or as far as tho visitor can
ascend, tho viowof tho surrounding country
13 magnificent. Tho Capitol grounds, which
formerly wero homely and formal In appear
anco, havo been transformed Into a beautiful
park and arc now most oxqulsltoly beautiful.
Tho east base of tho Capitol Is 80H feet
abovo ordinary low tido In tho Fotomao. The
otal height from east base to the top of tho
temple covering tho domo Is 1!88 foet; tho
statute of thoGoddessof Liberty, lOJfi foot,
making tho total height to tho crest of tho
Btntuo 307HS feet. This crest Is 300 feot
hiirhrr than tlio west gato of tho grounds, nnd
8117 leet aboA o low tido In tho Potomac, or 1! 18
fpt lower than thonpoxof tho Washington
Monument, which Is Immediately west. Tho
building Is 7C1 feot long by 321 wldo, and
cover 3W acres. It Is tho finest and largest
publlu building In tho world, and In manv re
spiote the costliest and handsomest. It Is
nioiMivc-r tbo growth of loss than a century
a fact which adds to Its beauty and Intorost.
The original Capitol, or centre bul ding. Is nn
Imitation, though no not a slavish ono, of the
Mulfon C'nnout Nlsmos. Thevlew fromtho
wtst rortlco at night, when tho lamps are lit
In tho public grounds and tho lights of the
city llluminato the darkness, is ono of the
most beautiful and plcturesquo In tho
world nnd Is well worth a Jonrney of a thou
land miles to see
Tlie White House.
From tho west baloony of tho Capitol, look
ing down Pennsylvania avenue, tho Whito
Bouse Is Been rearing Its enowy-hued walls
abovo tbo dense mass of foliage that em
bowers It. like a glgantlo calla lily springing
tip amid Its enfolding green blades. Were it
not for tbo partly Intervening Treasury
building the view of tho Whl to Ilouso from tho
Capitol would bo full and complete. Tho
White Ilouso Is tho center of "tip-town," as
the Capttol Is tho center of "Down-town."
It Is beautifully loeated, tho view from tho
south windows covering tho whole southern
front of tho city, as tho view from tho north
up Sixteenth street west exhibits tho best
part of the Northwest section to tho gaze.
The White Ilouso Is a copy of tho palaoo of
the Dnko of Leinstcr at Dublin, with the
addition of a largo porch on tho north front,
which was added during Andrew Jackson's
administration. The reservation In which It
stands embraces nearly 81 acres. The main
entrance Is on the north, reached by the
Pennsylvania avenuo oars. It U two stories
high on the north, Is built of whlto froo stono
170 feet Ion gbr 80 wide. It contains on tho
first floor tho famous Green, lied, Bluo and
East rooms, the State Dining Itoom and the
real conservatories. Tho Bluo Itoom Is tho
President's official recnllon room and tho
drawing room of the ladles of his family. Tho
Eubt Itoom, originally designed for a banquet
hall, and so used as lato as 1837, and In tho
1 attcr part of tho century nsed as a drying
room for clothos by Mrs. Prosldent Adams, Is
the largest and most noted room In tho
building. It Is 22 feot high, 80 feet long and
40 feet wide. It Is open to visitors ovor-'
day except Sundays. Up-stalrs aro their
Cabinet room, tho private offices, tho Presi
dent's ofllco, tho library and family apart
ments. All thoso rooms, except the latter,
are open to visitors, by speolal permission, at
Due north trom tbeWhlte House Is Lafayette
Square, tho first nublto reservation In Wash
ington thai was improved, it contains tno
equestrian statno of Andrew Jackson, by
Clark Mills. Many of Its trees aro old
forest monarchs, bundredsof years old. It Is
In part a specimen of the old formal landsca-po
gardening to fashlonablo In Knglnnd two
hundred years ago, a style that was Imported
Into this country. Lafayette Square was, one
hundred years ago, part of a graveyard that
enclosed the square north, on which St. John's
Church Is built, and the square east on wbloli
arc situated the Attorney-General's otBoe
(formerly the Freed man's Bank), the Surgeon!
Goneral's office and Itlrgs Bank (both In the
building formerly used us the United States
Bank), Commodore Decatur's house, cornor
Fifteen (hand a-half and II streets, and the old
Club Honso, near which Philip Barton Key
was killed by Daniel K. Sloklos, Momber of
Congress from New York. Tho last bodies
from this graveyard were not removed until
St. John's P. E. Church.
St, John's P. E. churob, which has often
been called tho Slate Church becauso moro
Presidents have worshipped thero than at
any other, stands at tho corner of u and
Sixteenth streets. It was built In 1810 and
enlarged in 1S20. In It havo worshipped
Presidents Madison, Monroo, John Quincy
Adams, (though the latter was a Congrega
1 1 on all st) Martin Van Ilurcn (though ho bo
longed to tho Dutch Itcformod Church) liar
rlson, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fllmoro (though
tbe latter was a Unitarian), Pierce, Buchanan
and Arthur. Presidents Lincoln. Johnson and
Grant havo also attended Divino berovloos,
althougu not steadily. Its Interior reminds
one very forcibly of the old, dim English
country Episcopal churches.
The Treasury Department.
Tho Treasury Department Is oast of tho
Wbltn House and extends tbo whole length of
le Iront between Pennsylvania and New
fork avenues. It Is 582 long by 300 lcetwldo.
The central cast portion Is built of froestone,
rebuilt In 183(1-41, while tho othor parts wero
commenced In lS5!i and built of granite. The
cash Itoom In this building Is a beau
tiful apartment in tho north wing,
tho entranco to which Is from tho north
porch. Tho vaults aro under tho Cash Itoom
ond can bo seen on a written permit given by
tho Treasurer of tho United States, whoso
office is In the northeast angle on tho first
lioor. This permit must bo shown tho cashier,
who will detail guldos to tako the visitor Into
thu great bullion chests ot tho country. Tho
old St ato Dopat tment used to bo on tho si to oc
cupied by tho noitheast corner of tbe Treas
ury, War, Navy and State Department.
This cdlflco, onto named by a Washington
Journalist tho 'Trltino Building," ocouplos
tho west sldo of tho Piosldent's reservation.
Immediately west of the Whlto House. Tho
btatfl Department occupies tho south part,
while tho War Department ocouples tho ontiro
northern half. It Is a nowandveryhundaumo
structure. Tho most beautiful loom In tho
wholo building is conceded to bo tho library
of tho btato Department, with south front,
from who-iu windows thneyo oan sweep mi
Interruptedly down tho Potomao to Mount
Vernon anil far over tho Virginia hills. Tlio
building la In Italian Renaissance. His 5(17
feet long nnd 313 feet wide. Its groatest
height Is 12U feet, and tho Aug. floating over
the contra) poitlon, Haunts in tho breeze
higher up than any other flag in tho city, not
excepting thoso abot e tho honate aud Ilouso
of Ilepresentatlvcs. Tho cost of tho building
was tlvo millions of dollars, about throe times
h tuueh us the Whlto Ilouso, and, wo think
in uchfts tho Capital.
Department of Justice.
Immodlatoly north of tho Treasury building
and lust ncross tho street is tho Department
of Justice. This building was originally
erected as tho Frccdman's Bank. Tho squaro
In which It Is erected Is n hlstorlo ono. On
tho samo street, at tho cast cornor, stands
lllggs' Bank, which wns built for tho accomo
dation of tho Washington branch of tho
old United Statos Bank, Just around tho oor
ntr Is tho resldeiico of Secretary of Stato
Blaino, who occupies tho house whloh
was formerly tho old Washington Cljb
House, In front ot which Philip Barton
Kpy wan shot by Slckcls. Tim tree, nndor
which tho dead man's body lny, la still stand
ing, although Its bark had boon completely
removed by rello hunters. At tho northwest
corner of tlio squaro, above tho Commissary
General's Office, 1s tho Ilouso mado famous
by tho ownership of Commodoro neoatur,
where "Dolly" Madison lived and rolgnod so
long a social Queen after hor husband's torin
as President expired.
The Washington Monument.
Immediately south of tho Whlto House
stands tho Washington Munumcnt, tho lofti
est, structure criotod bv man, and tho most
lmposlngobcllsk over constructed. It Is fr5
feet abovo Its base, whloh Is 42 feot abovo
tido-watcr. Its ooinor-stono wns l.ild July
4, 1848, and tho oapstone, forming tho npox,
was placed In position DccomborO, 1881. In
It aro 181 blocks of Insertod Btonos or copper,
gilts from various cotintrlos and soolotlos.
1 hetotal cost will bo ovor 81.300,000. It Is
situated in what will ultlmatoly bou boautl
The Natal Olscrtatory.
To tho west of tlio Washington Monument
on tho highest elevation that borders tho
north bank of tho river, botweon St. Eliza
both'a Heights nnd Georgetown Collogo,
stands tho Naval Obsorvatory. Tho hill oa
which It stands Is famous for having boon
the camping ground uf Washington Brad
dock and tho lattei's army, when on their
march to tho fatal field, whoro tho English
Gcnciol foil a victim to his self-conceit and
vanity. Tradition also points out this hill as
tho dcolslvo battlo-ground betweon tbo Dls
trlct Indians nnd tlio mysterious susquo
hannas. This obsorvatory contains tho largest
rofraotlng telescopo in tho world, noxt to tho
new cqnntorlal Jut built for tho Llok Ob
servatory. By Its aid that most Interesting
If not greatest, astronomical discovery of tho
country was made, tho moons of Mars. Tho
entranco tho Obscr vatory Is at E and
Twenty-third stroets northwest. Thollordio
cabs go to Twenty-second and G streets.
27ie Agricultural Department.
This building Is situated oast of tho Monu
ment. It Is Inclosed bv tho most beautiful
and gldwlng liowor garden in tho country,
and tho grounds contain tho most comploto
Alborotum probably In tho Unltod States.
Attached to this Department aro tho Exporl
mental Gardens, whoso offices aro immedi
ately wost of tho main building. Tho Belt
Lino cars go right past tho grounds.
The Smithsonian Institute and National
Tho visitor may obtain considerable onter
talnment nnd Instruction by spending sovoral
hours In tho hmlthsonian Institution nnd
National Museum. These aro two handsomo
big buildings, Bltuntcd In tho Immense park
lying south of B streot, between Sovonth nnd
1 vt elfth streets. There Is simply a mammoth
free museum, owned and operated by tho IT.
S. Government for tbo collection of every
thing In nature, science, lltoruturo, history
and art that Israro, Interesting and valuable
and tbo displaying of them to tbo public. As
ono enters tho hall of tho National Museum
tho first object of Interest Is u collection of
tho personal effects of Gcorgo Washington,
Including his clothing, family china and camp
utensils. Beyond this stroteh row aftor row
of glass show-cases, In which nro displayed
collections of almost ovory concoivnblo ar
ticles. Tho artist will find rare etchings,
specimens of tho engraver's art in Its perfec
tion. Tho surgeon will boo wholo casosfull
of keen and glistening Implements of his
calling from tho smallest and most complox
to tbe largest and simplest. Tho numismatist
may rovel In a collection of raro coins, from
tho freshly coined dollar of tho day to tho
copper cast that bears tho stamp of the
Casjrs. Tho geologist will find himself in a
maze of specimens dug from overy soctlon
of tho country. Tho othnologlst may poro
for hi urs over tho models of the Cliff houses
and tho homes of tho Aborigines. Tho lover
of antiquities In general will havo an un
bounded rango of subjects, from tho Egyp
tian mummies, a thousand years old. and
relics of Pompeii to tho arms and Implements
of the early dwollers In America. Tho lover
of bric-a-brno and flno china will discover a
paradlso of earthen productions. Tho dain
tiest wares from Limoges, Baccarat, Hungary
and Germany will plcaso tho oyo, and tho
process of manufaoturo Is displayed. In tho
Smithsonian Building tho student of tax
idermy will find case after caso of birds,
beasts, fish and reptiles stuffed and In Jars of
alcohol. Back of tbo Smithsonian Building
Is a "Zoo," whoro are a numbor of livo wild
animals. Several bears, a cougnr, a Jaguar
and groups of smaller animals and birds
compilso tho collection. Tho Smithsonian
Institution and National Museum buildings
aro open from 0 a. tn. to 4 p. m. to visitors,
and may bo reached by tho Sovonth streot,
Belt line and Ninth street line of street-card
Tfic Botanical Gardens.
Passing eastward trom the Museum, over
the railroad bridge that spans Mxth street,
and through tho pretty park lying betweon
Maine and Missouri avenues.tho vlsltorcomes
to tbe entrance on Third street. Just south of
Pennsylvania avenuo, of tho Botanloal Gar
dens. These Interesting grounds aro open
dally from 0 In tho morning to 0 In tho even
ing. They were established fifty years azo.
Tbe conservatories nro filled with tho
choicest and rarest foreign plants. Around
tho gardens aro oxtenslvo collections of trees
nnd shrubs. In tho centro of tbo lawn facing
tho centre conservatory Is tho famous Bar
tholdl Fountain that uttractod so much at
tention at tho Philadelphia Centennial.
27o Peace Monument.
Just half way across tho Avenuo from tbe
northeast anglo of tbo Botanical Gardon and
at tbo west foot of tbo Capitol Grounds Is tho
Peace Monument. This was designed by Ad
miral Porter In honor of tho dead soldiers and
Bailors of tho lato war. It Is of marblo and
cost, with pedestal and platform, 811,000. It
is proposed to romovo this monument to ono
of tbo squares on tho northwost section.
Retracing ours tops wo find
Tho Printing and Engraving Bureau.
Tho great money mill of the Government Is
located at the cornor ot Fourteenth and B
streets southwest, southeast from tho Monu
ment and southwest from tho Agricultural
Bureau. It is reaohed by tbo Beit Lino Cars
and is opened to visitors every day.
Daty Burns' Cottage.
One of tho curiosities of Washington Is old
Davy Burns' tottago, on Sovonteenth street,
near tho river. It may be reaohed by the
dilvo south of tbo President's Homo or by
tho Metropolitan or Avenue Uno of cars. Noit
door to it is General Van Ness' onco statoly
mansion, where bo brought bis bride, Marola
Burns, ono of tbo original heiresses ot Wash
ington. Corcoran Art Gallery.
Tho Corcoran Art Gallery Is at tho comerof
Pennsylvania avenue and Seventeenth street
opposlto the War.Navy and Stato Department.
It is open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Satur
days free; on other days (except Sundays) a
small admission foo Is charged. This gallery,
although not to bo compared with tho great
Old World galleries, Is nevertheless a very
creditable Institution for so now a oonntry
as tho United States. It contains among other
original objects Powers' great statuo of tbo
The Louise Dome.
Tho Louise Homo Is a beautiful building at
tho cornor of Massachusetts avenue and Fif
teenth atrcet, near bcott Circle. It has ex
tensive grounds, beautifully embellished, and
lsaunlquo establishment It Is a memorial
to tho wlfo and daugnwr of Mr. W. W,
Coicoran, and Is Interded as a homo for
ladles oficducatlon nnd birth and rotlnpraent,
who havo been reduced to poyorty from af
fluence Tlio Columbian University.
Coming down Fifteenth street from tho
Louise Homo, at tlio corner of Fifteenth and
II Btreets, tho visitor sees tho Columbian Uni
versity, which occupies tho of tho old
Grlswold Mansion. This unlvcrslf v was In
cornorated as Columbian Collei'.o In 1821,
and Is under tho spsolar-suporvljlon of CTri
Baptist Church, It Is an Institution famous
for tho discipline and thoroughness of Its
The Postoffce Department,
Tho General Postofflce Department Is on tho
squaro bounded by E, F, Seventh nnd Eighth
sticets. It is a handsomo building, nlchougb
Its proximity to Its larger and bolder brother,
the Patt-nt Office, komowhat obscures Its great
slzo and tends to lessen its beauty. It iliaor
cut bureaus possesses groat Interest to tho
visitor, but the Dead Letter Office is particu
larly tno ono to be observed, Tho collootloi
of omlaslttes taken from tho mails In transit,
as specimens of tbo usos to Which tlio Nation's
postal comojauces aro put. Is both varied
nnd unique. Everything uiimallahlo, from an
Indian tomahawk to a stuffed kungnrno. Is to
bo seen in this collection, and it Is still grow
ing. 27ie Interior Department,
or as It Is popularly termed, tho Patont Office.
occupies tho two squaios between Sevtmtlmnd
Ninth and F and (i streets. It is built In tho
Dorlo stylo, and Is uu admlrnblo speci
men of tho boldest and voidest of
tho Greek styles. It contrasts finely
with tho General Postofllco, whloh Is Corln,
thlan, the must ornitto of tho pure Greek
modes of architecture. Tho curiosities of tho
Patent Office aro tbo model rooms, whero
many thousands nf Ideas havo boon mat"
rlallzod and exhibit themselves to tho gazo in
overy etago of Invention. This building, llko
most of the Government offices, Is open to tlio
visitor from 0 a. m. to 2 p. m. Tho llbrnrlos
of tho Interior Department nro woll worthy
of n visit, Tho great Inauguration ball nt
Lincoln's second tcim took plaoo In tho
Marine Barracks Naty-Yard.
Tho Mnrlno Brrrnoks aro sltuatodJon Eighth
street southeast, between O and II. Soveral
sqnnrcs further south the walli ot tho Nnvy
Yard riso beforo tho gazo. This Navy-Yard
Wns In Its time tho most famous ono In tho
rountry, tho second largost ship of tho lino In
tho Navy-Ynrd having bocn built horo, as
woll us tho famous cruisers, tho Essox, tho
Wasp nnd others. It Is to bo converted Into
tho great ordnnnco factory of tho country,
and tho visitor will find hundreds of oblocts
herein to Interest him, especially tho making
of tho stcol rifled cannon.
Tho largo brick building on Tenth stroet.
between E and F streets, with a plastered
front, painted brown, was onco a Baptist
church. It was converted about tho begin
ning of tho war Into n theatre, known tho
country over as Fold's, and ltwasm a private
box thcro In April. 1805, that John Wilton
Booth killed Prcsklont Lincoln. Tholattor
was carried to a honso Just opposlto, whoro
bo died. A mnrblotablot in frontof tho house,
No. 510 Tenth streot, oommomorates this
fact. Tho thcatro was then sequestratod bv
tho Govornmcnt nnd turned into tho Modloal
Museum nttaohed to tlio Surgeon-General's
offlco. A largo and handsomo building has
slneo been erected in tho Smithsonian Park,
Just east of thu Nntlonal Museum, which ,ls
now used for tho Modloal Musoum. It Is full
of Interesting surgical relics of tho war.'and
has tho largest medical library In tho world.
Among tho curiosities within Its walls Is tho
articulated Bkcloton of Gultoau, tho assassin
of President Garfield. Coming down Tonth
street from tho former Modlcal Musoum tho
visitor will not fall to Inspect tho massive and
beautiful Post Building, In which Is situated
tho offlco of The CAriTAt.. This Is tho largost
newspaper establishment south of Philadel
phia and oast of tho Ohio and Mississippi
rivers. Three or the leading and most Influ
ential Journals in tho country ono morning,
ono evening nnd ono Independent Sun
day paper havo their homo In tblsj es
tablishment. 27 Geological Bureau.
The Geological Survoy is located on Fstreot,
near tho Ebbltt House. Tho Interior Depart
ment building, Immenso as it Is, Is entirely
too small for tho accommodation of Its bu
reaus, two of which, bcsldos the Educational
and Geological Bureaus.lAgrlculturo and Pen
sionVnro located In other auartrrs. Thoo
two last bureaus aro among tho largost undor
27(0 District Buildings.
Tho visitor, after leaving tho Centro Mar
ket, will proceed down tho Avenuo to First
street and northward up that streot two
squares will como to the District building,
whero aro tho offices of tho Commissioners
and other officials of tho District.
The City Wall.
Duo north of tho Avenuo and closing up
Fonr-ana-a-half streot at that point, Is tho
City Hall. This Is n largo and commodious
building, built for uRorathor than, show, and
now occupied by tho District Courts. Just in
front and to the south of tho City Hall Is n
column of white stono, surmounted by a mar
ble figure of Lincoln.
Tho City nail Btands on tho south front ol
Judiciary Square, ono of tho finest parks In
tho city. Tbo City Jail used to stand on the
northeast cornerof tho square, which runs
from Fifth to Fourth and from D street and
Louisiana avenuo to G stroot three long, full
The Pension Office.
Tho now Pension building extends nearly
tho entire width of Judiciary Squaio, Irom
Fourth to rifth streots and from U, nearly to
P street. It Is by far tho largest building In
tho world dovoted to tho examination and
settlement of claims for pensions. It is built
of red brick, nnd cost Hoveral hundred thou
sand dollars. In it was given President Cleve
land's Inauguration Ball. It can bo reached
bythoMetiopolltab and Belt Line cars.
The Centre Market.
Tho Centro Market occuplos squaros south
of tho Avenuo, bounded by Bst. on tho south,
Seventh street on tbo east and Ninth street on
west. It Is a very handsomo market building,
excelled In beauty, and pronably In slzo, by
nono In tho world. It is thu cleanost and
tho best, whllo also tho chcapojt market In
The Government Printing Office.
The Government Printing othoo Is la a
northeast direction from tho Pension Office,
at tho corner of II and North Capitol streets.
It Is by far tho largest printing establishment
In tho world, and Is full of Interestto visitors.
Tho cost of running It goes up tnto millions
annually, and tbo money Is well spent. It
would tako columns to merely outline tho
clgantlo establishment, which employes In Its
busiest season over 2,000 people. It Is reaohed
by tho Columbia line of stroot cars,
Howard University is tho first place In this
country to provldo for tho higher education
of tho colored people gonerally. It Is on
Seventh street oxtendod. Just abovo
Boundary, and occupies a high and pictures
que slto, overlooking tho wnofe city. It Is
built of large cream-colored brick, specially
manufactured for tho occasion.
27ifl Old Soldiers' Home.
The Old Soldiers' nome lies about a milo bo
yond Howard University, out Seventh street
oxtended, and is reached by tho samo con
veyances, namely, tho Ninth and Seventh
street car lines. Its main building is of
marble, 200 feet front with a very high tower.
Tho Tlow from Its tower surpasses any similar
view In tho neighborhood. A statuo ot
General Scott adorns tho grounds. There is
also a National Cemetery with several thou
sand Union dead burled thero.
The DeafMuU College.
Keturnlng from Mt. Olivet tho visitor will
pass near by and In full sight of tho Deaf
mute College, which lies on tlio north side of
Boundary street, at tho north end of Eighth
street northeast. It Is reached by cab or the
H street lino of cars. It Is tho most prominent
deaf mute collego lu tho world.
Across tho Anacosta Blvcr, duo south from
tho Navy-Yard, Is St. Elizabeth's, or tho Gov
ernment's Hospital for tho Insano. It llos on
tho top of a hill, having a beautiful view of
the surrounding country. Thero aro ovor ono
thousand patients In this asylum. It Is reached
by a pleasantcarrlago drlvo.
Outsldo of the original District aro soveral
E laces of great Interest to tbe tourist, notably
ladensburg. In Maryland.on tho B. & O. K. If.,
seven miles from Washington. It Is nn old
town, famous for being a hundred years ago
tho largest commercial city in Maryland; also
for Its Spa Springs, and for Its associations as
a favorite duelling ground In the days when
tho "codo of honor" was In force,
Across tho Totomao, opposite Georgetown,
and reached by cab across either tho Long
or tho Aqueduct Bridges, Is Arlington, once
tho homo of tho Lees, nnd now tho largost
national cemetery In tho country, Ovor 10,000
soldiers are burled hero. Tho place Is exceed
ingly beautiful and tho view of Washington
27ie Washington Barracks.
ThoWashlngton Barraoks or tho Arsenal, as
It is commonly called, aro located at tho toot
of Four and a-half street southwest, tho
grounds extending over what used to be tbo
penitentiary. It Is Interesting among other
reasons for being tho onolosuro In whloh Mrs.
Surratt and the Assassination prisoners wero
banged. Tho band which Is stationed horo
givo frequent concerts In tho summer that aro
largoly attended, lloachedby tho Metropoli
tan (Four-nnd-a-half-stroet branobi nrd tho
Seventh street lino, via thoAnacostla lino of
of pure Cod Liver OH with Ilypo
pliosphltoa of 'Llmo and Soda la
almost as palatable an nillK.
Children enjoy It rather Hum
otherwise. A MARVELLOUS FLESH
PRODUCCR It Is Indeed, nnd tlio
llttlo lads and lassies who tales cold
ooolly, may be fortified against n
cough that might prove serious, by
taklna Soott's Emulsion after their
meals during tho winter season.
Jieiinio osii(M(ltnt(oNJ and fmlfrtf Join.
Seven mllos from Washington down tho Po
tomac, reached by boat or by rail, Is tho old
city of Aloxandrln. It contains nmongothof
objects of lntrrost tho churcsh whoro Wash
ington worshipped, tho houso that Braddook
lived In beforo ho wont on his fntal campaign,
tho lodgo or Masons to which Washington was
nttnchcd.tho sloro whero tho famous General
Turner Asbby sold dry goods for many years
and mony other objects of interest.
Cabin John Bridge.
Cabin John Bridge, spanning tho chasm of
Cabin John Crook, about eight mllos fron
Hook Crcok Bridge, Is tlio largost slnglo stono
nroh brldgo In tho world. Flvo mllos abovo
Cabin John Brldgo nro tho Great Falls of tho
Potomac. Tho scoucry 1s magnificent. Itoachod
Fourteen miles below Washington down tl.o
river, reached by boat, Is Mount Voftion, tho
homo and gravo of Washington. Visitors oan
reach It by tho stcamor Corcoran, Captain
Blake, every day,
Georgetown Unlvorslty Is tho leading Catho
lic college In tho United Stntes. It Is located
on tho west Bldoof Piospeof stroot, George
town, on, pcihnps, tho most boautlful slto on
tho Potomao. Us buildings nnd grounds aro
very handsome. Beached by tho Metropolitan
The District Jail.
On tho reservation which lies Immodlatoly
north ot E streot southeast and fronts on tho
Anacostla Illverlsa hugo quadrangular pllo
of red brlok, known as tlio District Jail. This
building Is especially noticeable for being tho
ono wherein tho nssasln of a Prosldent was
hanged. Just south of Itls tho City Asylum.
Itlsroaohcd by cab or carriage or on foot
from the termination of tho railway and ber
Save Your Hair
BY a t Imoly uso of Aycr's Ilnlr Visor.
This preparation has no equal as a
dressing. It keeps tho scalp clean, cool,
and healthy, nnd presorves tho color,
fullness, and beauty of tho lialr.
" I wns rapidly boeomlnp; bald and
gray ; but after using two or thrco
bottles of Ayor's Ilnlr Vigor tuy luilr
grow thick nnd glossy and tlio original
color was restored." Mclvlu Altlrlch,
Canaan Contre, N. II.
" Somo tlmo ago I lost all my hair in
consequenco of measles. After duo
waiting, no now growth appealed. I
then used Ayer'a Hair Vigor nnd my
Thick and Strong.
It lias apparently como to stay. Thn
Vigor is evidently a great aid to nature."
J. B. Williams, Floiosville, Texas.
"I havo used Aycr's Hair Vigor for
tho past four or flvo years anil find it a
most satisfactory dressing for tho hair.
It is all I could desire, being harmless,
causing tho hair to retain its natural
color, and requiring hut a small quantity
to render the hair easy to arrange "
Mrs. M. A. Bailoy, 9 Charles street,
" I havo boon using Ayor's ITnlr Vigor
for several years, and hellovo that it has
caused my hair to retain its natural
color." Mrs. H. J. King, Dealer in
Dry Goods, &c, Blsuopville, Md.
Dr. J. C. Aycr & Co., Lowell, Mass.
Bold by Druggists and Tcrfumers.
WAN Tl! D II IS LP.
Advertisements miter IMt head, four lines or
est, 25 cents for one insertion; GO cents for three.
WANTED BTAGOOD COLORED L AUN
dress, washing and Ironing to do at
borne; references given. Apply 1819 N II ay.
ANTED A WHITE GIRL FOR GEN
oral honsowork In a small family,
man, wlfo and boy 8 years old; German pre
ferred; to tbo right party a pleasant homo
and good wages assured. Apply at No. 1003
O st n w.
AN ABLE ADVERTISING, INSURANCE,
Safe, Lightning-rod- or Book Agent, or
lioportcr, of great savolr falro, for literary
work. Largo salary. Wrlto London & nart
ford Pnb. Co.. N. Y.
room In the northeast part ot city
whero thoro will be no objection to light
housekeeping. Address D. P. U., this office.
FOB SAI.K MISCELLANEOUS.
AdiertUementi under this head, four Una or
lets, 25 cents for on insertion; 50 cents for thru.
IOR SALE 87,500 BATOPILAS 1ST MORTV
gago uouus aro ouerea ior saio ny
E. B COTTRELL,
No. 1143 N. Y. avo.
EOTt SALE-nORSE AND LANDAU-A
stylish Gray Horso, ovor 16 hands high;
) harness and not much used; Landau
mado by Joyce; nro offered at reasonable
rates on account of owner leaving tho city.
E. B. COTTRELL. 1418 N Y. avo.
TJIOIi 8ALE-875-SPECIAL STAR, 51-INCn,
Jj sllont rachot, I nickel, absolutely per
foot condition. Address or apply 33 A st s e.
FOR BALK AND HUNT,
REAL ESTATE BULLETIN
TIIOMA8 E. WAGGAMAN, 017 F street.
Changes mado Wednesdays and Saturdays.
3-STORY BRICK AND FRAME HOUSES FOR
Sth st, bet E and L stsn w $30,000
0181 Btnw, bh, m!,12rs 10,000
1013 10th st n w. b h. m 1. 10 rs 12.000
207 O Btnw, bh,ml,10rs 8.000
1128 6th stnw.bb, 9 rs 8.000
223 Indiana avo n w, bb, 9rs 7,500
1731 19th bt n w, b h. Ors 7,500
1229 Mass avo n w, t h,8rs 7,350
38lBtnw,bh, 11 rs .'. 0.500
6050th stn w. bh.8 rs 4.500
2-STORY BRICK AND FRAME HOUSES FOR
701 to709Farragutstnw. bh,5rs $0,000
1232Istnw, f h, 5is 8,0 M
338 to 344 Jackson Hall alley n w, b h.. 0,250
I to 0 alley bot 12th and 13th, M and N
Blsn w 6,000
1130 to 11511 23d st n w. f h.4rs 0.000
1123 20th st n w, f b, C rs, and 2 bouses
1311 D Bt n w, f h, Ors 5,000
405 to411Baar's alloy n w.bh, 4 rs 5,000
1247 and 1249 Madison st n w, f h, 4 rs,
and2bh rear 4.8O0
423 N et n w, f h, 5 rs, and 2 houses roar 4,000
UNIMPROVED PROPERTY FOR SALE.
G st, bet N Cap and 1st sts n w, 2 b h
In rear $1,000
Vauvo and Slth stnw 2,700
A st, bet 14th and 15th sts s o 1,350
19th st, bet K Cap and A sts s 0 1.005
N o cor Va avo and 22dstn w 75
G Bt, bet 2d and 3d n o CO
S w cor 3d and L sts n o 50
Mount Pleasant 40
1st st. bot O and P sts s w 10
HOUSES FOR RENT.
COOstnw, 12 rs $53 00
721 8th stnw, 14 rs 65 00
232 N Javonw, 9rs 5)00
1013 ictn st n w. 10rs...., 50 00
90121st stnw, 12 rs 40 oo
1110 Tst n w,7rs 35 00
SCSDstn w,0 rs .1150
1105 Nn avo n w, 9rs 35 00
Upper part 1408Pst n w,7 rs 30 00
163lVtnvon w. 8 la 27 50
1S11 Sift stnw, 6rs 20 00
142 0 stn 0,7 rs 20 00
007 N stn w. 7 rs 20 00
249Pomeroy tn w. 0 rs 12 00
II Corcoran Row, 4 rs 12 CO
III Chew's alloy n w, 4 rs 9 00
420O Bt alley n w,6rs 8 30
1315 1st st s w, 5 rj 8 00
1C8and llOBoucdnry stn w,2rs 3 00
Hear 65 list no, 2rs ,.,,, 3 oo
REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT.
Sato as U. S. bonds; 5 per oont,, payable
quarterly; in sums ot 81.000.
In snms to suit at 0 per cont.
Tho abovo Is only a portion of tho property
on my books. For full list call at ofllco for
bulletin, Issuod on the 1st and 15th.
Advertisements under tnlt tumi. fmirllnuor
lies, iiemtsfor one insertions; 50 cents for three.
-VTOW IS THE TIMErWE WILL PAY
X , "b!gmonoy"for gontV flrst-olass boo-ond-band
clothing. Address or call at
JUSTH'S OLD STAND. 619 D st, n. w.
COMMIHSIONKU OF DKUIH,
C8.BUHDY, COM'It OP DEEDS FOR ALl
. States and Territories, 458 1. ave., opp
city Uall '
Avers Hair Vigor,
KHp-OrFIOK 01' TI1K COMMISSIONERS,
TT". .District of Columbia, Washington,
May I, lsoo. To whom It may concern; Tlio
tominlnloners of tbo District of Columbia
,"!o received from Congress the following
hill, with request for their vlows na to tho
promlcty ot onaollng It. Beforo reporting
on this Mil tlio Commissioners doslro to know
what objections, If any, exist to snld pro
poscdligiilatloii. ord for that pnrpoowlll
!'.)!?.. ft rcolnl scs'lon nt 2 o'clock on
MONDAY, THE 5TH INST., to glvo hearing
to pnrtlcs Interested: A bill ill. K 7IM)
creating tho ofllro of Inspootor of hay, straw,
praln and feed In nnd for tho District of Co
ltirnbta. J. W. DOUGLASS, L. O IIINK, II.
M, HOllERT, C'ommUsloncrs 11. O. ml-lt
J3?T OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONERS
Y cf tl10 District of Columbia, Wash
ington, May 2, 1800. To whom It may con
ccrnjlho Couimlsloners of tho Dlstilotof
Columbli linvo received from Congress tho
following bill, with rcqiiost for tholr vlows
as to tho propriety ot onactlug It. Boforo
reporting on this bill tho Commissioners do
slro to know what objections, If any. oxlst to
fnld pioroscd legislation, and for that pur
posn will hold a special session nt 2 o'clock
on TUESDAY, THIS 6TH INSTANT, to give
hearing to parlies Interested; A bill (II. It.
7439) to cttabllsha unlvcrsilfitroet railroad
transfer system In tho cities of Washington
and Gcorcctown, In tho District of Columb'n.
' That eneb nnd nil tit tho street railroads
In tho cities of Washington nnd Georgetown,
shall establish, nt tholr Junction with, or In
tersection or Mossing of, any and all of tho
other tald street railroads, a universal trans
fer system whereby tho pnsongcrs of any ot
tho paid railroads may bo transferred, froo of
additional chargo, to tho linos of any othor
railroad, Tho provisions of this section
shall apply to tho branoh linos ot each and
every said rnllrond. as If such branch linos
vero Boparnto and distinct railroads." J. W.
DOUGLASS, L. D. 1IINE, II. M. ROBERT.
Commissioners I), O. m3 It
QSir-OFFICE OF THE COLLECTOR OF
- tnxes District of Columbia, Wash
ington, May 1, 1890. Tho attention of t axpaycrs
is colled to tho tax levied for tho yoar ondlng
Juno 30, 1890, on renl and personal property,
Tho teoond hnlf of such tax, whoro not pre
viously paid, will becomo duo nnd payable on
tbo fltBt day of May, and If not paid boforo tbo
first day of Juno, ensuing, Bbnll thoroupon
bo In arrears and delinquent, and a penalty
of two per centum upon tho amount thoroof
shall bo added, nnd tho samo, with othor
taxes duo and In arrears, will bo llstod for
ndvertlsoment and tax sale In tbo manner
prescribed by ox Istlng law. By order of t ho
Comrolsnloncrs of tho District of Colnmbla.
Attest: E. O. DAVIS, Collector of Taxo, Dis
trict of Colura bin. myl-d27t
55TELECnT0N OF DIRECTORS -NOTICE
-sy Is heroby given that an olootlon of
seven directors of tho Capitol, North O Streot
and South Washington Hallway Company, to
seivo for tho cnsulngyear, will bo hold nt tho
office of tho compinv In Washington, D C
on SATURDAY, MAY 10, 1890, botweon tho
hours of 4 nnd 5 o'olook p. m. Books for tho
tiansfor of stock will, closo on Saturdav,
Mav a, 18(0, at 4 o'clock p. m. W. J. COW
ING, President. inyl,5
"SUPERIOR WOOD-BURNr LUMP
For building purpoos for sale by
JAMES II. McGlLL.
Dealer In Building Supplies,
ap26-2w 908 to 014 O st. n. w.
B;? Formerly Washington Inn,
. Tennallytown Road,
Will open about MAY 1, 1890, for dallv and
monthly boarders; also for tho convenience
of those who nro driving.
Luncheon and suppers served on a mo
Driving parties must positively havo cards
of admission. Arply to
JAMES R. KEKNAN,
K55?-HOCHDALE CO OP. SOCIETY OF TnE
KK' D1ST. OF COL.
Mcmbors of this society aro lnformod that
tho new Trade Cards (and Lists), improvod
and oxtended. nro now roady for Issuo.
Mcmbors will return tho old (green) card,
with their address written across tbo faco,
to any of those named below aud obtain tbo
new on payment of tho proper feo. Thero
being over 4,C0O members who should obtain
tho new card beforo April SOth Instant
piomptnessls advisable. The old card Is of
no benefit after April 30.
J. W. HARsnA. Secretary.
905 n st, Cash Room, Treasury Dept, and
at 705 16th st, at noon nnd at 4 o'clock p, in.
A.T. Longley.prest.SOOA st n o, ARr'l Dept.
Smith Thompson, V. P., 1M9 F n w, A. G.
O., War Dept.
L. Vnndcrhoef, 931 French st, Bureau of
E. c. I'awcctt, C03 Mass avo n o, 1th Aud.
J. K. McCnbo, 223d st n o, P. O. Dept.
II. W. Smith. 716 B Bt s w, Q. M. G. O.
L. F. Hunt, 1310 S st n w, Oth Aud. Ofllco.
L. E. Grldloy, S00 L st nw, Reg. Offlco
John Morrison. 415 R st n w, Pen. Ofllco.
Dr. Jos Jouy. 2218 Pa avo n w. S. G. O.
John Finn, 618 23d st n w, A. G. O.
C. B. Snyer, f-urgeon General's Offlco.
Edward Saxton, 223 U st n o, Govt. Print
J. C. Brown, 7th st and R.I. avo (Drug
D. M, Davis, 1013 10th st n w, Bu. Eng. aud
Oliver Dufour, Cashier's Room, City Post
ofllco. John n. Jonos, 1526 6th st n w. Signal Office.
Dr.iE. L. Corbln, Second Auditor's Offlco.
J. M.Andrus, 1540 Columbia st, O. L. O.,
J. F. Pago, 1210 F st n w (Grocer).
F. J. Yonug, 340 Spruce st, Sty. DIv. Trcasy.
w. II. Womersloy, 1720 n st nw, Ofllco
Rev, Mar., Treas.
Frank Sibley. 705 15th st n w. Cigar Store.
By order of tho oxectlvo commltteo
apl7,lm J. W. IIARSHA. Secretary.
THE WASHINGTON LOAN AND
CAPITAL 81,000,000. TEMPORARY OFFICES.
1001 F Bt n w, provlons to tho erection of
tho company's building, corner Oth and F
sts n w.
MONEY LOANED ON COLLATERAL AND
ON REAL ESTATE. Woll scoured loans,
guaranteed by tho company, for sale. In
terest paid. Call on or correspond with us
W. B. HOBISON, Seo. B. H. WARNER, Pros.
Charles B. Bailey, George F. Schafor,
James L. Barbour, Thomas Somervillo,
George E. Bartol, John A. Swope,
Richard W. Clay, J. S. Swormstodt,
Horace S. Cummlngs, Hattcrsley W. Talbott
J. J. Darlington, George Truosdell,
John Joy Edson, B. II. Warner,
Charles J. Faulknor, A. A. Wilson,
Albert F. Fox, L. D. Wlno, .
O. C. Green, B. W. Woodward,
William B. Gurley, Chas.Benl Wilkinson,
John B. Lamer, A. S. Worthington.
3SLADIES1 LADIESI LADIESI
Bls' Mrs. McCafTerty Is the only hat and
bonnet-frame manufacturer In the city. Call
and see her now shapes. Bleaching and
firesslug. Straw and felt hats alterod to the
atest styles. Orders promptly attended to.
1009 Q street n. w.
jggpDR. WHITE, CHIROPODIST
1416 Penna. ave., opposlto Wlllard'a Hotel.
Thousands from far and near visit Dr. White
for relief from and avoldanco of corns, bun
Ions, diseased nails and all othor foot
troubles. Hours. 8 a. m. to 6 p. m.; Sun
days, 9 to 12. Established 1861. Feo. II.
'WHY NOT nAVE YOUR SniRTS
mado bv one of tho most colobratod
cutters In America? Prices samo as thoso
third-rate cutters charge. P. T. HALL, 908 P
FOK SALE HOUSES.
Advertisements under this head, four lines or
less, 25 cents for one insertion; 50 cents for three.
OR 8ALE-A BARGAIN IP SOLD AT
onco: 2-storv and basement brlok houso:
rooms and bath: all mod Imns: sltuatod at
No. 436 1 st n w; prlco 84.300; terms ono third
cash, balanco 1, 2 and 3 years. Apply
to FRANCIS HUFTY. 1301 F st u w. foi7-00
IOR SALE-1N ALEXANDRIA, 6ROOM
frame houso, Just fiulshtng; nydrantln
yard; lot 16x115; snug home; prlco, 8800. Ap
ply to ROBERT J. THOMAS, Room No. 2, 013
170R SALE FRAME HOUSE 900 IN 25
: foot alley, bet Oth and 10th and G and II
sts s w; 7 rooms; hall on both floors; closets
fronting tho Potomao; 15 per cent Invest
ment; lot 341 feot front by GJi deep, 49 foot
from Oth st. Apply within.
IriOR SALE-THREE OF THE CHEAPEST
' housos in Washington, 100, 103 and 110
11th st n e; two-story and basement, brown
stone trimmings; 7 rooms and bath; eloctrlo
bells and gas; price, $3,500 oaeb, S500 cash
balanco to suit or trado for good lots.
1415 F street. Ulemlier or Washington
(Stock Escliuue. All locul Htoclia
uml HocurltloN boiifrht "ml Hold.
co UNTivY m: a l es tate
OR SALE ABOUT 17 ACRES ON 3D ST
n e oxtendod. nn tho 1 no of thu Euklng-
ton and Soldiers' Homo Hallwav, being a part
or mo estate or tno lato unlet justice cuaso,
now called "Edgowood;" a good opportunity
for Investors. For particulars, prioo, oto.,
inquire of CUAPIN BROWN, 323 11 stn w.
tlltUl'OSALH Full 'IHB ((INSTRUCTION
J find ercctlurt of a Pollco Patrol Tolo
rahh nnd Telophono System. Oflieoottho
Ooniinlsslonois D C, May 3, 1H0O Sonlod pro
pornls will bo received ntthNofllno until 12
o'clock m, on THURSDAY, TIIK 15TII IN ST ,
for thn construction and erection ot aFolieo
patrol Telegraph and Tclephono System in
the City of ( eorgelown. District of Coluin
bin. Blank forms nf proposals nnd spcclfiea
tlons can bo obtained at tho ofllco of the Su
perintendent of tbo Telegraph and Toln
phono fenlco rorntr of Tilth and I) streets
northwest, Washington, D. O , uponnnpllov
1I( n therefor, togcthor with all necessary lu
foitnntlon, nnd bids upon thoso forms only
Will bo consldcrt d. Tbo right Isrosorvcd to
reject any or all bids or parts of bids. .1. W.
DOUGLASS, L. (). IIINIC, II. M. ROIIIIUT,
I Commissioners D. O. m3-3t
EHOPOSALS FOR MISCELLANEOUS SUP
PLIES. Postofllco Department, Wash
ton. U. O.. Atirlll7. 1S0O. Sealed iirnnnsnls
will ho received at this Department until
SATURDAY, THE 17TII DAY OF .MAY, 1890, at
12 o'clock roon, nt which tlmo and placa
Iheywlllbo oponod in tlioprosonco of bid
ders or their nutborlzcd agents or attorneys,
fordoing tho necessary painting In tho De
partment, for winding and keeping tho clocks
In repair nnd for furnishing suoh coal, wood,
Ice. cat rote, choirs, cotton cloth (for man-
rrountltig), loop, closet paper, matcbos. dust
ers, wbbk nnd corn brooms, dosk nnd waste
Snper bnskets nnd forage, nstnay bo ordoroj
urlng tho fiscal year beginning July 1,181),
and ending Juno 30, 1891. Bldsnio also In
vltcd for tho purohaso of tbo wnsto-paper
from tho Postofllco Dcparlmont, Mmiov
Order building and MarlnTs Hall and for
washing towels. Blanks for proposals,
with specifications giving detailed statement
of tho rcmilrorrcnts to bo mot In rcspoot to
cneh nrtlclo, and also tbo cstlmalod quan
tities probably to bo required ot each, and
plvlng full Instructions as to tho mannor of
bidding and conditions to bo observed by
bidders, will bo furnished on application to
tho Mipeilntcndcnt nnd ldsburslng Clerk,
Postofllco Department, Washington, D. C.
Tho Postmnsler-nonernl roserves tho right
torojectnny or all bids, to walvo technical
defects and to accept any pnrt of any bid
nnd reject tho other port. JOHN WANA
MAKElt, Postmaster General. npl0,26,m3,10
FOlt KENT HOUSES.
Advertisements tinder this head, four lines or
less, 25 cents for one insertion; 50 cents for thiee.
CMHl RENT-UNFURNISHED- '"
1701 R I avon vt.Ylrs 8200 00
1413 Moss avo, 17 rs and stablo 200 00
1411 Kstn w, 13 rs 200 00
1011 Conn avo, 15 rs 175 00
14th ft ex., 15 m 150 00
1228M stnw, 15 ra 150 00
lioo lcth st n w.ll rs .'.... 125 oo
lBOSHs' n w, 12 rs 115 00
1737 O st n w, 11 rs 100 00
1400 Chapln st n w, 13 rs 100 00
1742 Pstn w,12 rs 100 00
7614 21st n w.ll rs 100 00
2Lnfayct1oi-quaro, 15 rs
618 E st n w, 15 rs 81 3.1
EC2E stn w.llrs 7500
1402 Chapln st n w, 12 rs 75 00
2(22 Hlllyer Place, 10 rs ei 00
1513 o st n w. 11 rs 61 oo
942 N Y avo, 10 rs 65 00
915 N Yavo, Urs CO 00
1101 Nil ave, 10 rs 60 00
1404Moughtonst, Ors 55 00
1406 Moughton st, 9 rs 65 00
1760 P st n w, 10 rs MOO
1011 RIggs Place, 9 rs oi 50
Pst, ncar2Ist,7rs 50 00
1S01 21st stn w,8 rs 50 00
1140 17th stn w. 7rs 43 00
1504 S Bt n w, 9 rs 4- 00
lCC71Mhst n w, 9rs 40 00
SOMO stn w.10 rs 40 00
1019 Corcoran stnw. Ors 37 63
lCC9 7thstii w, strand dwg 35 00
11711 stnw,8rs 35 00
2900Qstn w.Brs 33 33
915 Est b w. Ors 21 SO
917 Ests w. 0 rs 21 60
1354 41 sts w. Ors 18 01
Tho abovo housos can bo examined by per
mit from our ofllco only.
THOMAS J. FISHER & CO.,
1321 Fst.n. w.
ITtOR RENT TWO BRAND NEW SIX
: room framo houses, high and dry loca
tion; near churches and publln sohool In
Uniontown. Inqnlro of A. BEUREND, 433 H
Adiertlstments unier this head, four lines or
less, 25 cents for one insertion; 60 cents for three.
HANDSOME FURNISHED ROOMS, EN
Bulte orBlnglo, at tho Buckingham, 920
15th st n w, overlooking MoPherson Squaro.
OR RENT-TWO FURNISHED ROOMS,
Huiiuuiu ior gentlemen. o. wh ai si n w.
OVER A MILLION DISTRIBUTED.
LOUISIANA STfllE LOTTERY CO.
Incorporated by tbo Legislature foroduca
tlonal and cbarltablo purposes, and Its fran
chise mado a part of tho present Stato Con
stitution, in 1879, by an oveiiwuelmino roru-
Its GRAND EXTRAORDINARY DRAW
INGS tako place semi annually (Juno and
December), nnd its GRAND SINGLE NUM
BER DRAWINGS tako placo In each ot tho
other ton moults In the yoar, and aro all
drawn In public, at tbo Academy of Music,
Now Orleans, La.
"We do hereby certify that we supervise
the arrangements for all tbo Monthly and
Seml-Annual Drawings of tho Louisiana State
Lottery Co., and in person manage and con
trol tbo drawings themselves, and that tbe
samo aro conduoted with honosty, fairness
and In good faith toward all parties, and we
authorlzo tbe Company to uso this certificate,
withfao-similesof our signatures attacbed,
In Its advertisements."
Wo the nndorslgned Banks and Bankers
will pay all prizes drawn In; tho Louisiana
State Lotteries which may bo presented at
IT. M. WAr.NSl.EY, Prcs. La. Nat. Bank.
p. IANAUX, PrcB. StatoNat. Bank.
A. BALDWIK, Prcs. N. O. Nat. Bank.
OAKI. KOBN, Tres. Union Nat. Bank.
GRAND MONTHKY DRAWING will tako
place at tho Academy of Muslo, Now Or
leans, TUESDAY, MAY 13, 1890.
CAPITAL PRIZE - - $1
100,000 Tickets at Twenty Dollars; nalvcs,
810; Quarters, 85; Tenths, 8-;
LIST OF TRIZES.
1TRIZE OF 8300,000 Is S300.000
1 PRIZE OF 100,0001s...., 100,000
1PRIZEOF EO.OOOls 50,000
1PR1ZEOF 25.r001s 25,000
2PRIZESOF 10,000 aro 20,000
5PR1ZESOF 6,000 aro 25,003
25PIUZBSOP l.COOare 25,000
100PHIZESOF MOaro 50,000
200 PHIZES OF 300 aro 60,000
5C0PR1ZESOF 200 are 100,000
lOOPrlzesot S500aro 50,000
100 Prizes of 300 aro 30,000
100 Prizes of 200 aro 20,000
999 Prizes of 8100 aro 99,900
9U9 Prizes of 100 aro 99,900
8,131 Prizes, amounting to 81,051,800
AGENTS WANTED EVERYWHERE.
KWFon Cum Rates or any furthor Infor
mation deslrod wrlto legibly to tho under
signed, clearly stating your rosldonoo, with
Stato, County, Street and Numbor, Moro
rapid return mall delivery will bo assured by
your Inclosing an onvolopo bearing your full
All ordinary letters containing Postal
Notes, Money Orders Issuod by all Express
Coropanlos or Now York Exobango.
M. A. DAUPHIN,
Now Orleans, La.
Address Rcglstorod Letters containing cur
flew Orleans National Bank
Now Orleans, La.
"REMEMBER that tho paymont of Prizes
Is GUARANTEED BY FOUR NATIONAL
BANKS of Now Orloans. and tho tickets aro
signed by tho president of an Institution
whoso obartcrod rights aro rooognlzod In tho
hlghost courts;tberoforo, bowaroot alllmlta
tlons or anonymous sobomes."
ONE DOLLAR is the prlco of tho smallest
part or fraotlon of a ticket ISSUED U V US In
any drawing. Anything in our name offered
for less than a Dollar Is a swindle.
MKS. 1HNES-"TIIB Et,SMGKE"-1408 II
st n w; now plumbing, now furniture;
20 additional rooms; personal attention to tho
table; location cential, near tho rllnston
and Wormloy's. feJ7-90
eniAT mm sale
NOW GOING ON, WILL CONTINUE FOR A SHORT TIME ONLY AT
924 SEVENTH STREET,
iii,tvi:i:n i ami u snti:irrN.
Tbo recent fntluro of tho largost clothing tlrm of Boston, Mass, has placed tholr stock
In Ihohnnds of tho creditors, who havo decided tn sncrlflco tho samo so as to convert It
Into tush within a short tlmo. They havo shipped tho entire flock to Washington and
linvo Instructed their ngents to tell tbo stock at retail at about 60 cents on tho dollar.
Bear In mind, this etock Is nt this pcasoi's manufacture and was made for tbe finest
Boston trade, nnd wo posll'volv guarantee oory garment to bo perfect In stylo, fit and
wotkinnnshlp. Au inspection of thnetook will convlnco you that tho abovo aro fasts
NOTE SOME OF THESE PRICES":
1740 pairs Men's Pants at Mo; former prlco. 81.
lam pairs Men's Pants at 73c; " 81.60.
760 pairs Men's Dress Pants, 81.60; formor prlco, 83 25.
7C0 pairs Men's Flno Dress Pants, Si'!; former prlco, 81 60.
1210 pairs Men's Extra Flno Dross Pants 1j worth 86 50.
Largu lot of Tallnr-Mado Pants at 81, 81 50 and 85, worth 810.
CfO Men s Evcrv Day Sult, 82 50; formor prlco, 85.
660 Men's Business Suits, 81! former prlco, 88.50.
lOtO yen's Better Quality Business Suits, SO.Mrformcr price, 811.
WO Men's Evening Suits, 88.E0; former prlco, 817.
500 Men's Dress Suits, 810 and 812, worth doublo.
Boys' Suits, Long Pants, at 81.60, worth S3.
' 2.60. " 85 50.
" " " ' I 00. ' B.00.
" " " " S5, $7, S8 and ?10, worth doublo.
Children' Suits at 75c, 81.25, 81.75, S'i.50, 3, S nnd i6, worth double.
Knco Pnnts, 25onnd upward.
Included in this stock Is a largo lot of Flno Pants, mado to order, for S9, SlOand S12;
also Fine Suits In Hacks, Cutaways and Prince Alberts, whloh wero mado to raeasnrn, at
S35, S40BndSI5,wh'chyou can buy at 10 per cont. of their real valuo. A full lino of Light
and Heavy Overcoats, which will bo sacrificed, Boar In mind overy garment must bo
as represented or wo rotund yonr monoy within three days.
This Great $200,000 Snlo will continue for a short tlmo only at
924 Seventh Street, between I and K Streets.
Storoopcn till 9 p.m.
715 MARKET SPACE.
In White and Black, at
Our Buyer lias just returnee from Now York, whero bo bought an
Importer's Entire Stock of LEOIIOKN HATS.
We offer tbeeo Hats to tbe public at greatly reduced flguros from
wbat tbey can bo purebnscd clEcwhtrc.
JUDGE FOR YOURSELF.
Leghorns at 93c, worth $1-75.
Leghorns at 93c, worth $2,
Leghorns, Best Manilla Braid,
At 93c, worth $1.75.
Lenox Hill Leghorns at $1 .75, worth $3.
OUTING JACKETS AND BLAZERS.
Received a Large Lino of OUTING JACKETS and BLAZERS.
Also LADIES' SHIRT WAISTS and WINDSOR TIES.
E. A. STIEBEL, Proprietor.
lm 1 UlnJMMiMiri
Main Store, 9 1 6 7th
Pa; Ave. and
GAS HOT PLATES AND BOILERS.
Gas Boilers, $1.15 and $1.50,
MAKE TEA OR COFFEE IN 10 OR IS MIHDTES.
GAS COOKING STOVES to cook for eight to
thirty people. Just ttie stove lor summer use, as the In
stant the cooking Is done you can extinguish the fire.
FOR SHLE BV THE
WftSHINfiTOH GASLIGHT GOMP'Y,
413 Tenth Street Northwest;
JtJfitiS tB& (hurt itI That trunk Bcame from Kneessi'sjMB
BUY YOUE TRUIKS AM IAME3S
425 BeventliSt. N. W
Saturdays, 11 p, m.
St. Branches, 1 22 1
411 7th St.
DIM to Odd-Fellows' Uall.