Newspaper Page Text
desire to announce to our valued patrons on the "Garden Island" that we have opened the
doors of our commodious new store, on the corner of Fort and Merchant streets in the very
heart of the Gity of Honolulu.
We look forward with pleasure to greeting our many thousands of regular customers, and to meeting new friends who
seek the highest ideals in men's wearing apparel.
In equipment, accessibility and shopping facilities we believe we have the most modern and conveniently located men s
and boys' clothing and haberdashery establishment in Honolulu.
As always, we shall specialize on Clothing and continue to adhere to those excellent standards which have enabled us
to expand and enjoy constant growth ever since the business was founded in 1 862.
Fifty-Four years ago when we opened our doors to tin public our store was consider
ably out of the city's active business zone, but the new policy, good materials and up-to-date
styles, linked with honest prices introduced by the founder ofthe business, Mr.
M. M. Melnerny, proved a new idea and the public was quick to appreciate anil take ad
vantage of the uniform price system and dependable quality of our wares. .
Though old in experience, with a reputation for fair-dealing, wo arc young in method.
Youth and vigor arc paramount factors in our present organization, and furnish the
nucleus for continued progress and in keeping u fully abreast of the times. So, while
Honolulu has grown steadily, wc, too, have been kindled with the spirit of progress and
advancement which has prompted Honolulu to push forward for n bigger and greater city.
And now after fifty-four years of steady achievement, we announce the opening of our new store, Merchant and Fort streets -right in the heart
of the city's busiest center.
We shall continue to concentrate our individual efforts upon the production of men's, young men's and boys' clothing and furnishings, hats,
trunks and bags, etc., all ol the highest character.
Added sevrice features are: spacious selling aisles a Hording ample room and comfort
for selection of goods and a safe and sjM-cdy elevator connecting the second Hoor or the
A telephone booth has been installed for the convenience of our lady patrons, and
there is also a writing desk at their disposal in the rest room, which is quiet, comfortable
and for their exclusive use.
We have been content to achieve growth and prosperity by degrees, on the merit of goods and the intrinsic values we have always given
policy we shall observe as rigidly in the future as we have in the past.
Fort and Merchants Streets, Honolulu.
in exceptional variety.
Jewelry of all kinds, including special items in Norwegian
Spoons, Necklaces, Pendants and other specialties.
Stationery Books and Fancy Paper.
Choice Candies and Perfumery
mM Wt p n tefM? 1
-v'? M. sTKJl - . mm, mm , , A(A
THE HUI KAWA1HAU
There were several unusually in
teresting papers read at the last
meeting of the Kauai Historical
Society. Among them was one by
Judge Chas. S. Dole on the above
subject which was as follows:
In the years from 1877 to 1881
the Ilui Kawaihau, an organization
of certain prominent Hawaiians
and their friends, was one of the
leading communities of the eastern
side of the island of Kauai.
They were a body of men most
of whom came from Honolulu,
with their families, where many of
them were high officers in the Gov
ernment who went to Kapaa un
der the patronage pf King Kala
kaua, whose reign nad then lasted
for several years, for the purpose
of establishing an association of
congenial and intelligent farmers
on the fertile cane lands at Kapahi,
above Kapaa, in the year 1877.
The Hui Kawaihau was original
ly a choral society, of fifteen mem
bers, with social rather than busi
ness aims, and was first organized
by Prince Leleiohoku, the Heir
Apparent to the throne, in the year
187(5 just before King Kalakaua's
coronation day, which was Febru
ary 12th of that year.
The name "Kawaihau" (mean
ing "ice-water") was originally de
rived as the nick-name of a lady
residing in Honolulu at that time,
a white woman, who was a friend
of the King, but-who did not court
some of his royal favors and in
the matter of liquid refreshment
would drink only pure ice-water, in
preference to the fiery gin which
was usually dispensed from His
Majesty's sideboard. This choice
of the lady was not understood by
certain members of the royal court,
and in derision they gave her the
title "Ka Wahine o Kawaihau"
("The Laify of the Icewater"), and
she became commonly known by
the shorter appellation of "Ka
waihau." Prince Leleiohoku died, however,
in April of the following year,
1877, at Iolani Palace, and the cho
ral society would doubtless have
disbanded but that King Kalakaua
decided that it might be a good
opportunity to establish some of his
royal retainers upon whom the
dissipating court life was beginning
to pall, or rather, perhaps, was be
ginning to produce disastrous re
sults in the beautiful climate airirf
fertile lands of the district above
the village of Kapaa, on the eastern
coast oi Kauai.
Another reason for the rov.il
stratagem' was said to be that, al
though many of the prospective
iarmcrs were intelligent and in
dustrious men, there were quite a
number of them who were courtiers
and hangers-on at Kalakaua's
palace, whom the King was glad to
estauiisn on another island dis
tant from Honolulu and the charms
and temptations of court life.
So the Hui was reorganized, in
the month of June, 1877, and
among the twelve men who were
its charter members are the well
known names of King Kalakaua,
Governor Dominis, the King's
brother-in-law; Colonel George W.
Macfarlane, one of the leaders in
the court circles of that day ; Cap
tain James Makce, who had often
entertained the members of the
Royal family at his beautiful resi
dence at Ulupalakua, on the island
of Maui; Governor John M. Ka
pena, of the island of Oahu; J.'S.
Walker and C. H. Judd, two men
prominent in the court and govern
ment communities of Honolulu;
and Koakanu, a high chief of Ko
loa, on Kauai.
These twelve organizers were
the ones who set in motion the
wheels of business of the Hui o
Kawaihau, in the year 1877, their
first important official act being to
sign a contract with the resident
members of the Ilui, thirty-two in
number, for the cultivation of the
lands of Kapaa, on Kauai, to sugar
Of the thirty-two original resi
dent members of the Hui there arc
but seven living, so far as is known,
these being: Judge James H. K.
Kaiwi, of Lihue, who is with us
tonight, a member of this Society,
and is the sole member of the Jitii
Kawaihau left on the island of
Kauai; Edward K. Lilikalani, of
Honolulu; Frank K. Archer (also
known as Keliinohopono), of Pearl
City, Oahu; Ekela Mahuka, of Ho
nolulu; John Wallace, of Hono
lulu; James Ilauola Makekau. of
Lahaina, Maui; and the Reverend
Isaac Iaea, of Kahiaaha, on the
island of Molokai. Resides these
there are four widows of original
members of the Hui, viz.: Mrs. Pi
pili Pakaua Pol an i, of Waipouli
Mrs. Kaupena Uka, of Hanalci :
Mrs. Hana Kaiwi. of Honolulu:
(Continued on Pajie 7),