Search America's historic newspapers pages from - or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
title: 'The Daily bulletin. (Honolulu [Hawaii]) 1882-1895, August 16, 1883, SUPPLEMENT, Image 5',
meta: 'News about Chronicling America - RSS Feed',
Image provided by: University of Hawaii at Manoa; Honolulu, HI
All ways to connect
Inspector General |
External Link Disclaimer |
SUPPLEMENT TO THE DAILY BULLETIN.
' HONOLULU, II. I., THURSDAY, AUGUST 10, 1883.
A. A. W10NTAN0,
Corner Fort & King Sts.
Desire3 to inform his numerous friends
and the public generally that ho has
Reduced the Prices
of Photographs, which for Style, Quality
and Finish cannot be excelled,
From Locket to Life Size
In every Style.
A splendid assortment of
NEW PHOTO FRAMES
in Silk, Satin, Plush, Leather, &c, &c.,
of the latest styles. Also, a very large
Including the Volcano, Lava Flows
Sugar Mills and Plantations,
Groups of Hawaiians, in ancient
and modern costumes.
No. 78 Fort Street,
453 ly Opposite E. 0. Hall & Son's
FOB SALE, a No. 2
Warehouse Feed Mill
Grinds from 5 to 10 tons, per day.
Also, pulleys, bolts, etc., all in good
order; can be run by steam or horse
power, just the article for a plantation.
HAY, OATS, CORN,
Wheat, Bran, Barley, Whole and
Ground, Mixed Feed, etc.
AS CHEAP AS THE CHEAPEST
59 LAINE Co., 34 Fort st.
Tin, Copper and Sheet Iron Worker,
Plumber, Gas Fitter, &c.
Stoves and Eanges
of all kinds.
Plumbers' stock and metals,
House Furnishing Goods,
7? Chandeliers, Lamps, &c.
INSTRUCTIONS in Gymnastics will
r he given to Ladies and-Childrcn
Every Satux-clay Morning1
From 0 to 11 o'clock, in addition to the
Evening Classes. S. B. DOLE,
886 President Athletic Association
A NEW DEPARTURE !
No. 03 Hotel street,
Opposite International Hotel,
Between Nuuanu and Fort streets.
A CARD TO THE PUBLIC.
KOHM & KTTPPREOHT
Beg to intimate to their friends and the
public generally, Unit they arc now pre
pared to execute orders for
Plain and Decorative
Painting & Paperhanging
in the best and newest styles.
Orders may bo left at his residence,
No 99 Hotel street, or by letter at P. 0
Box, No. 411. 401 ly
IN GENUINE BTYTLK.
the thorough experienc
ed korse breakcr.wishcs
-3.'v. tne puunc io Know inai
ne is iuuy prepared io
take charge of stock, and guarantees
to break them thoroughly on his Ranch,
and attend carefully to feeding and
doctoring horses. He has now in his
charge such celebrated steeds as Black
Thorn and other thoroughbreds, and has
the exclusive charge of all of Mr. James
Orders left at the Pantheon Stables,
or at the mommoth stables on Mr. James
Campbell's property at Kapiolani Park,
will meet with promptness. 295 ly
Horso Shoeing a specialty
A first-class man bejng specially engaged
for that work.
Ship and "Wagon work faithfully
Shop on the Esplanade, op. Hoppcr's.204
A. Nov Jjot ol
Has arrived, wwliich o sell at the lowest
price, in quantities to suit purchasers.
545 A. S. Cleghoiii & Co.
From this point to the extreme
cast of New Guinea the coast, as far
as his knowledge and judgment went,
was suitable for white settlement.
Three large islands-Hoy tcr, Basilisk,
and Moresby which lie off the east
end of New Guinea were, he thought,
suitable for the habitation of white
men, especially Moresby, which
obtained an elevation of 1500 feet,
and was larger and more fertile than
the others. The sago palm was par-
ticularly prolific in this island, and
its harbours were numerous. The
north-eastern shores of New Guinea
were apparently more tropically
luxuriant than the south-eastern, and
their lofty mountains, where a cool
atmosphere was obtainable, appeared
more accessible. It must, however,
be remembered, he gave warning,
that after passing Cape Vogel, the
natives appeared to be a treacherous
and savage race. Mr. Oetavius C.
Stone, F. R. G. S., who spent some
months travelling in the south-eastern
portion of New Guinea, wrote an
interesting account of his experiences,
and forwarded it to the president of
the Royal Geographical Society. In
that account he gave some descrip
tion of Port Moresby. He stated
that three villages Anuapata, Taua
pata, and Elivara containing a
population of nearly 700, were
situated on the beach east of Moresby
Harbour, at a distance of about two
miles from its opening, and that
behind them extended a valley of
the same length, while Mount Tapo
harti, rising like the keel of a boat
750 feet high, closed it in.
The sides of the hills were of a barren
nature partially covered by open
forests of gum trees (eucalypti), the
intervening space berween the trees
being covered with coarse grass six
or eight feet high. This' grass was
annually burnt down in the month
of September, when it had become
dried like hay through the effects of
excessive droughts and solar heat.
Patches of dark-foliaged scrub or
jungle usually clothed each moun
tain gully and ravine at rare inter
vals, the lower portion of the hill
sides being similarly adorned.
These trees were alive with the
songs of birds, among which parrots
and doves were the most common.
The whole of the country was bro
ken up into hills, mountains, and
valleys, the mountain chains usually
running paralled with tho coast, but
becoming less regular and not so
numerous as they approached it.
Hence for the first 20 miles fairly
fertile valleys and plains were not
infrequently met, though tho moun
tain heights, which might be said
to occupy three-fourths of the entire
area, still retained their barren and
rocky nature. The land neverthe
less became gradually more fertile
as tho interior was approached, and
after passing the River Laroki, 10
miles distant, numerous mountain
streams an I watercourses cut it up
in various directions. At the 20th
mile a total change in the character
of the country was observable, and
with it the bird of paradise ap
peared. Tho gum trees and open
country then gave way to dense
forests of tall trees and under
growth, which completely covered
tho northern ranges, except the up
per part of Mount Owen Stanley,
with one impenetrable mass of
foliage. The summits of the ranges
became rounder, less undulated,
and their heights increased to 4000
feet as they neared "the great
central backbone of the peninsula,"
when Mount Owen Stanley rose in
a double peak to a height of over
Between the two peaks of this
mountain there was a narrow gap,
according to Mr. Stone, was the only
one discernible in the range, the
height of which was said to average
8000 feet. It was considered proba
ble by Mr. Stone that through this
opening the easiest way of crossing
the peninsula would be found. Na
tive tracks were numerous in the
open country and penetrating the
forests. Brick-red and green rocks
were conspicuous, and white quartz
was common in some places. This
traveller found that in the interior
the soil was very life-giving and nu
tritious in consequence of the fre
quent rains, and that it possessed
all tho qualifications for successful
cultivation. The result of a voyage
up the Fly River, which was made
by the Rev. S. M'Farlano in 1875,
proved that there was a navigable
stream extending far into the interior
of the country. But though the pai
ty who made the voyage went 160
miles along the course of the river
they did not see any high land. The
whole country through which they
passed was low and swampy, and
quite unfit for the residence of
Europeans. It was evident that
more than 200 miles of the river
would have to be traversed before
mountainous country could be reach
ed, and this was afterwards proved
to be correct by M. D'Albertis, who,
in the following year, made a voyage
up the Fly to a point 70 or 80 miles
beyond that reached by Mr. M'Far
lanc, and at that distance in the
interior found hilly country, though
generally the land was covered by
swamp grass, and lagoons, and
scanty vegetation. The highest hill
ascended by D'Albertis during his
voyage was about 225 feet, and it
was covered with beautiful vegetation.