Newspaper Page Text
DrrAnrMKNT ok Finam-k, 1
Honolulu, October 25, 1MI2. (
By virtue of authority clven hy nn Art
of the IiOglslntlvo Assembly, untitled mi
" Act to Prevent the Infection of Cholcrn
In tho Hawaiintt Islands,'1 approved on f ho
27th tiny of September, ISO-', upon recom
mendation of tho Hoard of Hcnlth, 1 do
horoby declare all Ports of Fntry In tho
Kingdom, now opon to connncrce.
K. C. MACFAULANF,,
Minister of Flimneo.
Honolulu, Oct. 25, 18'J'2. 657-tf
Owing to the drought and scarcity of
water, tho residents iimuka of Judd street
aro rciiuestcd to collect what uatcr they
mny reiulre for household purposes before
8 o'clock A. M.
JOHN C. WH1TK,
Supt. Honolulu Water Works.
Honolulu, Sept. U, lb').!. C15-tf
Dr.rAUTMi:T ok Fin mt, )
Honolulu, Xovumbcr 153, 18U2. J
Mr. F. S. Pratt having been commis
sioned as Hnwaiian Consul-General to San
Francisco, the vacancy in tho oillco as
Registrar of Public Accounts has been
filled by the appointment of George K.
Smithies whose commission dates ftoin
to-day. P. I'. .TONUS,
Minister of Finance.
585 -Jt-tS It
THE BAIL! BULLETIN.
Pledged to neither Sect nor Party,
But Established for the Benefit of All.
TUESDAY, NOV. 29, 1S92.
Bishop Husoum Catalogue.
"A Preliminary Catalogue of tho
Bernico Pauabi Bishop Museum of
Polynesian Ethnology and Natural
History," has been issued by Prof.
AVm. T. Brigham, A. M., Curator.
Tho catalogue is divided into two
parts: "I. Kahilis, Feather orna
ments, Mats and Kapas;" l,II.
Household Implements, Tools,
Amusements, War, Worship, Orna
ments, Medicine, Fisheries and
Canoes, Relics of Chiefs."
In a brief introduction tho Cu
rator says: "Although so recontly
established, this Museum may al
ready claim tho first rank in certain
departments, as kahilis, calabashes,
kapas, mats, and Polynesian stone
implements. It is hoped that eventu
ally (when sufficient room can bo
provided) not only the Ethnology of
Polynesia will bo fully represented,
but the Natural History as 'well, by
authontically named specimens, so
that tho means may bo piovided for
a study of the natural productions
of a largo part of tho Pacific Ocean
and its Islands. At present the
energies of tho Museum are concen
trated in securing a comploto series
of Hawaiian Natural History, Pro
ducts, and Antiquities.
Tho catalogue's notes on tho ex
hibits are often of much interest, in
tho light thoy throw on tho life of
the ancient Hawaiians. A visit to
tho Museum with this catalogue in
hand will give vastly more pleasure
and information than one paid be
fore tho appearance of such a neces
sary help. Although Prof. Brigham
has always been cheerfully ready to
answer questions, and to volunteer
information when ho found visitors
"wanting to know, you know," it is
impossible for one man to wait on
a dozen or a score of peoplo scattered
all over the building.
Tho Museum has been described
on different occasions in this paper,
whore also a clear picture of it has
been given. Its contents consist of
the Hawaiian collection of Mrs.
Bishop tho founder, tho collection
bequeathed by Queen Emma, the
collection of Mr. Joseph S. Emerson,
stone implements collected by Mr.
Goo. H. Dole, a collection made in
Now Guinea, ono made by Mr. Eric
Craig of Auckland, tho collection
formerly known as tho Government
Museum, and many articles given by
friends. Tho Musoum is at present
open free to tho public on Fridays
from 9 a. m, until 12 in., and on
Saturdays from 2 until 5 p, m.
This evening (Tuesday) being
ovo ol bt. Aimrow s Day, there
bo full Choral Evensong in tho Ca
thedral at 7 p. in. Magnificat,
double chant; Nuno Dimittis, dou
ble chant; Hymns 215, -103 and 139;
Processional Hymn, 391.
On Wednesday morning thoro will
bo a celebration of tho Holy Com
munion at 0:30, and Ma'tins at 9.
It will bo tho annivorsary of tho
death of Liholiho (Kamohamoha
IV.), and tho twenty-fifth anniver
sary of tho laying of the corner
stone of tho cathedral by Kamoha
For tho Season.
Tho Pacific Hardware Co, are dis
playing Dinner, Breakfast, OJiambor
and Tea Sots in Doulton Ware and
Copolaud; examples suitable for
presents in Haviland, Copoland.
Royal Worcester, Royal Dovon aim
Bisquo; Bisque Figures; Rochester
Lamps; a fow Fancy Clocks, and
many other articles.
Iiughain Buckets, plain and paint
ed, in nests. Every housekeeper
should have a supply of those.
Rofrigerators and Ice Chosts of
tho most improved patterns.
Pictures and Picture Frames.
Picture Framing in all its branches
fi. visit to tho art rooms is invited,
FAREWELL TO A OHUROH.
Control Union Congregation Tako
Loavo of Old Fort Stroot Church.
Last Sunday was a momorablo
day for tho members of Central
Union Church, This body was
formed by a union of tho old Fori
Street Church and the Bethel Union
Church congregations, after the
Bet hoi was doslrood in the great
liro of ISM. The Central Union
Church congregation, having erected
a noble stone edifice at Borotania
and Hiclmrds streets, bade farewell
with appropriate exercises to tho old
wooden Fort Street Church on the
l?o. 13. G. Beckwith, D.D., pastor,
preached a farewell discourse at tho
morning service, from Psalm 20:8
"Lord, I have loved the habitation
of thy house, and tho place where
thino honor dwolloth." After an in
troduction bearing on tho reasons
why thoy should love tho old church,
the preacher went into tho history
of the congregation and building.
"Tho Second Foreign Church in
Honolulu" was organized Juno 2,
1852, under tho pastorate of Rev. T.
E. Taylor. It lield weekly prayer
meetings in a littlo session room, and
worshipped Sundays, first, in tho
old Kauinaknpili grass church, and,
next bj permission of tho Govern
ment, in tho now courthouso on
ijueon street, uu oopiomuor zo,
1853, tho Board of Trustees O. H.
Gulick, Win. H. Johnson, Jacob
Hardy, E. O. Hall and E. G. Beck
with (the present pastor) bought
tho site of tho church, now about to
bo abandoned, of S. N. Castle for
$2100. Mr. Castle had bought the
land of Chief Justice Win. L.'Loo.
Tho name of tho church was chang
ed January 28, 1850, to "Tho Fort
After tho purchaso of tho site tho
ono great purpose of tho congrega
tion was to orect a building. About
tho first of Maj', 1854, at a meeting
of tho church and congregation, pro
sided over bj- Judge Lorrin An
drews, S. N. Castlo, chairman of a
committee on plans and estimates,
reported. Tho report was accoptect
and a building committee consisting
of A. S. Cooke, O. H. Gulick, A. B.
Bates, G. P. Judd, Henry Dimond
and Warren Goodalo was instructed
to tako preliminary stops toward the
election of a brick edilico to cost
SIS.OOO. Tho plans wore frustrated
by tho necessity of tho pastor's leav
ing for tho benefit of his health. In
the spring of 1850 tho matter was re
vived. Tho Board of Trustees, con
sisting of G. P. Judd, Warren Good
alo, E. O. Hall, C. R. Bishop, R. A.
S. Wood, J. II. Wood, D. A. Weston,
A. B. Bates and Ichabod Bartlott,
mot at 10 o'clock every morning and
spent ono hour in canvassing tho
town for subscriptions to tho build
ing fund. July 22, 1850, it was de
cided to accept tho tender of C. H.
Lowers for tho building of a church
according to plans prepared by
Mr. Houck and perfected by R.
A. S. Wood, at tho prico of
S!)300, changed finally to $10,575.
G. P. Judd, J. H. Wood and It. A. S.
Wood wore appointed a building
committee and tho work of con
struction began. A spiro was not in
tho calculations, but tho ladies, who
had staited the building fund with
a subscription of $1500, and paid a
deficit oi $217.50 on tho site, came
together and resolved to raiso $300
for a spiro. Tho lottor convoying
their resolution was signed by Ann
Maria Dimond. It was decided not
to havo tho church dedicated till it
was paid for. Tho church was dedi
cated December 28, 1850, with pra'er
by Rev. Mr. Turner of tho Metho
dist Episcopal Church and a sormon
by tho pastor, Rov. J. D. Strong. In
1808 the choir loft was added under
tho superintendence of a committee
consisting of G. P. Judd, W. W.
Hall, W. C. Parke and A. F. Judd.
Tho building was expanded on tho
two sides in 1879, by a building com
mittee composed of P. C. Jones, W.
F. Allen and W. W. Hall, at a cost
of $5002.01. Tho speaker concluded
by recalling tho memories of pastors
and pooplo identified with tho old
Tho church was crowded for tho
farowoll exercises of tho evening,
numbers of late-comers being unable
to got seats. After devotional oxer
cises, in which tho pastor was aided
by Roy. Dr. Hyde, tho exorcises wore
given in charge of a committee, of
which Chief Justico Judd was chair
man. Rov. F. W. Damon spoke feelingly
of tho associations of unity con
nected with tho superannuated
edifice, montiouing especially tho
happy union of tho Bothol, of which
ho was a member and son of tho
pastor, with tho Fort street congre
gation. Miss Chamberlain gave an address
full of rominibcouces of the mission
ary fathers and mothers, and notable
members of tho church in its early
days. Sho drew a vivid word picturo
of a Sabbath thoro spout in those
times, bringing in a long list of tho
worthies ol whom but fow survive
Mr. W. W. Hall gave n history of
tho choir, of which he was a monir
bor when a small boy. It had always
bean mainly filled by niombors of tho
church, most of them pupils of tho
Puuahou schools. Probably not loss
than 100 or 500 porsons had boon in
tho choir nt different times. Before
tho choir loft was built tho choir
occupied tho gallory, and at tho
singing tho congregation turned
round and faced it. Tho present
Chief Justico was leader of tho choir
in 1808 when tho rood organ was re
placed by the pipe organ now in use.
Other leaders woro Miss Mary Mon
tague Cooko, Rov. Mr. Bissoll, Mr.
Richards and Prof. Yurndloy,
rgunists had boon Miss Nelho
Judd, Mrs. A. F. Judd, Mr. Myron
Jones, Mr. Wray Taylor and Miss
Dale, tho present organist as well as
choir leader. Of tho present mem
bers Hon. J. T. Watorhouso, Jr., and
thospoakor woro tho sole rolics of
tho original choir.
Hon. A. F. Judd gave- recollections
of tho contemporaneous conditions
existing in tho early years of tho
church. Whon it was built Kaineha
inoha V. was reigning, thoro woro
two Houses of tho Legislature, tho
annual exports woro less than half a
million, and Bishop Staloy, who
founded tho Anglican Church) had
not been thought of. Taro patches
extended to tho sito of tho building,
nnd there was hardly a house east of
Thomas Square. It was tho first
wooden church of any sizo in tho
islands, and tho wood eamo from tho
Sound instead of fiom Boston. Tho
church was lighted with sperm oil,
causing sensations other than pleas
ant to nose and eves. It received a
boll, the same as now transferred to
tho now church, which was the loud
est and clearest in tho group, giving
tho natives a name for tho church,
which they still use, denoting n
sense of awe. Tho first minister or
dained in tho church was tho pres
ent pastor. Though only 30 years
old the building survived others of
its day, such as tho old palace, post
otlico, Sailor's Home, etc. This cli
mate, with its insect pests, made
wooden buildings shot' -lived.
Tho Chiof Justico road a lottor
from Mr. II. W. Severance, United
States Consul-Gonoral, who did not
wish to make an address, and from
Hon. C. R. Bishop, absent in San
Mr. C. J. Lyons delivered an elo
quent address on tho religious as
sociations of tho old church.
Hon. J. I J. Athorton, treasurer, in
a brief addross on tho financial man
agement, adduced interesting facts
from tho earliest records found in a
loiiK-noglocted box. Rovonuo used
to bo derived chioily from tho annual
sale of slips, but after tho union
with tho Bothol tho system of
pledges had been substituted. This
had proved so successful that thoy
should begin tho now year in tho
handsome now church free of debt.
Rov. S. E. Bishop offered tho clos
While tho offertory was being
taken Miss Halstead and Mr.
Rouvsky sang a beautiful duet. Tho
musical services of tho evening woro
inspiring, tho choir being out in full
strength. A farowoll hymn com
posed 1)3 Mrs. Emma Dillingham to
the tune of Hamburg was the clos
ing oxorciso boforo tho benediction.
Probably tho last sorvico to bo
hold in tho old church will bo tho
weekly prayor meeting to-morrow
Housohold Guards Roviow.
Tho Housohold Guards assembled
at tho Barracks yesterday afternoon
at 3 o'clock and, headed by tho
Royal Hawaiian band, marched
through tho town. Tho guards
finally bonded for tho Makiki Re
creation grounds, whore thoy woro
reviewed by Her Majost3 tho Queen.
Present on tho ground to witness
tho roviow woro: Governor A. S.
Cleghorn, Major J. H. Wodehouso,
British Minister Resident, T. It.
Walker, British Vice-Consul, Major
J. W. Robertson, Her Majesty's
Chamberlain, Their Excellencies G.
N. Wilcox, M. P. Robinson, P. C.
.Tones and Cecil Brown, Ministers;
T. H. Davios and other prominent
pooplo. Tho guards woro divided
into two companies, A being in com
mand of Lieutenant Kaaha and B
under Lieutenant Charles Warren.
Tho different oxoicises of tho com
panies woro much admired, espe
cially tho field evolutions and tho
bayouot practice, which won groat
applauso. Nearly an hour was spent
on the plains whero tho roviow was
given, and tho guards started for
homo. Captain S. Nowloin was in
command of tho forces, assisted by
First Lieutenant Jerome. Tho tac
tics of tho guards woro tho subject
of enthusiastic praiso by all tho
Pacific Wheolmcj.'f Farado.
Ono of tho prettiest spectacles
ovor soon on Honolulu's streets was
tho parade of tho Pacific Wheelmen
on tho evening of Independence
Day. About thirty bicycles illumin
ated with Chinese lanterns woro in
lino. Thoy woro preceded by min
strels in a wagonette. Tho proces
sion entered tho Palaco yard and,
on drawing up in front of the main
entrance, it was roviowod b' tho
Quoon. Ruby Doxtor, captain, ad
dressed a short speech of congratu
lation to Hor Majesty, on tho occa
sion of tho day's celebration, to
which sho replied in a gracious man
ner. After giving threo rousing
cheors for tho Quoon, the Wheelmen
loft tho grounds. Tho procession
then wound through tho principal
streets, eliciting hearty admiration
from crowds all along tho way. Hor
Majesty presontod tho corps with a
choquo for $50 for tho erection of a
fence around thoir now track at
Pearl City. Tho track is situated
opposite Mr. John F. Colbum's
place on ground as lovol as a billiard
Indepondenco Say Exorcisos.
Tho usual patriotic gathering of
Hawaiians, in honor of Indepond
enco Day, was hold in Knwaiahao
Church. Hor Majesty attended, ac
companied by Governor Cleghorn,
Chamberlain Robertson and Prince
Knlaniannolo. Mombors of tho Dip
lomatic and Consular Corps, Captain
Wiltso and ollicors of tho U. S. S.
Boston woro present. After prayor
by Rov. H. H. Parkor tho oration of
the day was delivered by Hon. E. K.
Lilikalani. A short addross was
also made by Hon. J. K. Iosopa.
Patriotic luaiis woro hold in various
places. Ono at Koau's placo at Kn
feaako, largely attended, extended
into a spell of speech-making lasting
till aftor 10 o'clock. Mr. J. Nahora
Hipa and others spoke, making
special reference to noxt year's being
tho jubilee anniversary of independ
ence. By unanimous vote tho editor
of tho Bulletin, who looked in whilo
on his way homo, was invited to
make a fow remarks.
A friond is
ono who understands
Bon-Ton Dressmaking Parlors,
Corner Fort & lloretonla ats.
Experienced Dressmakers Just from tbe Coast
W Ladles giving ns a call ure assured
of perfect satisfaction, f)8C-'J
The Daily Bulletin is delivered by
carriers for 50 cent per month.
NEW STEEL VESSEL.
Noblo Addition to tho Hawaiian
Tho Hawaiian stool bark R. P.
Rithot, in coinniand of Captain P.
H. M. Morrison, well-known in this
city, arrived yesterday morning,
Nov. 28, 32 days from Nanaimo, H.
C, having loft that port on Oct. 25.
Sho brings 1070 tons of coal from
tho Wellington mines consigned to
tho Intor-lslnnd Steam Navigation
Co.j and is berthed near tho Pacific
Mail dock. Tho bark experienced
niodorato and calm weather and
light winds up to Thursday last,
Nov. 2lth, whon sho experienced
very heavy westerly gales in 21 N.,
118 W. 'This continued for threo
days, during which the vessel be
haved splendidly. Tho wind was
shifting during tho storm, tho first
hnlf being from N. W. and then
suddenly to S, W. Howovert tho
bark camo out without sustaining
any damage. Sho will load sugar
for San Francisco.
Tho It. P. Rithot was built in
Glasgow by Cameron & McConnoll,
and was launched on Dec. 31, 1891,
consequently sho will bo ono j-ear in
tho water tho last day of this year.
Sailed from Glasgow for Cardiff
Fob. 23 and arrived on tho 20th.
Loft for Cliilo with 1050 tons of
patont fuol March 12, and arrived
Juno l,i. LiOlt X'isagua, Liiiiio, in
ballast for Puget Sound and made
port Aug. 17. From thoro sho camo
hero, leaving Oct. 25. Tho vessol is
constructed of steel, hull and spars,
and is of 1033 tons register. Sho is
fitted with direct steam communica
tion and carries a patent screw
wheel. Everything on hor is of tho
most improved stylo. The decks aro
of Quebec pine. Sho has side and
stern ports for lumber loading. She
carries 1070 tons coal at presont on
17ft llin. kool, and is capable of
carrying 2000 tons of sugar. Tho
deck frame and stool house aro con
structed on a patont and guarantee
great strength. Tho steel nouses on
deck includo galloy, ongino houso
and a houso near tho main hatch for
second-class passengers. Tho cabin
is large, airy and nicely fitted out,
with trimmings of black ebony,
birdsoyo maple and mahogany. Tho
trimmings on deck aro of toak.
Tho R. P. Rithot is calculated to
draw 18i feet wator whon loaded.
When without ballast sho is able to
stand freo with everything sot aloft.
Thoro is a portable sloain firo-oiigino
between decks with tubes along tho
wholo length of tho vessol, so that it
is only necessary to use 30 foot of
hose to roach every part of tho ship.
Tho Captain behoves her to bo a
vorj- fast sailer if sho had tho chance.
Captain Morrison was formorly on
tho bark Andrew Welch and loft
her in San Francisco to bring tho
Rithot out. Tho R. P. Rithot was
built for C. Biowor & Co.
By Jas. F. Morgan.
Useful Christmas Goods
For the benefit of sill who believe that,
during tho nrc-ent Hard Times, money
should not bo thrown away on useless
,gee-gavs, hut should lie invested in ser-
viccanio and necessary artieie, i win iiom
n Series of Holiday Hales of Staple Goods.
The first of the jieries will be held at
On FRIDAY, Dec. 2d,
AT 10 O'CLOCK A. M
When will bo sold a consignment of
New Cooking Stoves
5 HOLE WOOD fc COAL STOVES,
6 Hole Wood & Coal Stoves
With Nickel Trimmings;
6 Hole7-in. Ranges with Hearths
4 HOLK IMPKOVi:i) WOOD STOVES,
Goods on viesv all day Thursday.
Jas. IP. Morgan,
Bell 41 1 TELEPHONES Mutual 114
At McKiuley Prices!
Departure Bay Coal
12 .A. T03ST!
Delivered to any part of Honolulu
HUSTAOE & CO.
King uj No. Ill on
Decorative Art Rooms
WILL HAVE ITS
Tuesday, Nov. 29th
103 Sort Street.
Hawaiian Harflware Go., L'fl
Saturday, Nov. 26, 1892.
There is no place on the
globe where people know bet
ter what good things are than
in Honolulu. And they know
where to come when they
are ready to buy.' The Fischer
Range has demonstrated its
superiority over all rivals just
as the Bradley & Hubbard
lamp has convinced the world
that no other lamp shines as
Every year you are offered
opportunities of getting lamps
cheap or, more correctly speak
ing, cheap lamps. Attractive
ness is the only thing in their
favor, usefulness is not be con
sidered because they are got
ten up to sell, The manufact
urers who put such things on
the market sometimes make a
better article but they are found
only in the establishment of
When you are buying a
lamp the main thing to be con
sidered is the burner. The
"Bradley & Hubbard" has
stood the test all over the
world and is without an equal.
Inferior lamps do not have the
B. & H. burner. This year
we securedf or our trade some
Banquet and Piano lamps with
the automatic attachment that
does away with taking off the
chimney when you want to
light the wick. That alone is
worth something and is not
found on the made-to-sell sort.
For a table lamp we have
lor a pedestal a very handsome
Onyx top table, antique pat
tern that looks as though Sy
pher of New York had had
something to do with it. Sy
pher is the boss dealer in art
furniture in the United States.
The hard wood Refrigera
tors with oxydized trimmings
have arrived and are at your
service. In addition .to orna
menting whatever part of your
house you put one of them you
will find them great economists
when it comes to ice.
The rat traps we made the
hit on are in such demand that
it is a hard matter to keep up
with the call. We have order
ed more of them and until they
arrive we suggest your using
the Delusion mouse trap for
juvenile rodents. The effect
on the mouse is startling.
We have paid a great deal
of attention this year to the
shades for lamps, with the most
satisfactory results. It makes
very little difference how good
or how elaborate a lamp is, if
the shade is not in keeping
with it the lamp shows to a
poor advantage just as a lady
going out in a handsome suit
and a back number bonnet.
It is doubtful if there ever has
been such an assemblage of
fine lamp bonnets in this King
dom as we show you this year.
The pretty little night lamps
we called your attention to
two weeks ago have taken well
with people whose taste leans
toward really beautiful things.
We have two of them left, not
many in a community like this.
A half dozen hand painted
lamps with shades to match are
worth double what we offer
them to you for ; they sell at
that in other shops but we are
up with the times when it
comes to selling things cheap
good things too. These
lamps are suited in the parlors,
library and bed room an ex
cellent reading lamp with
genuine B. & H. burners.
Schultze Powder Cartridges
arrived by the "Albert" this
Hawaiian Hardware Co., L'd
Oppo. Bpreekuls' Block,
Nainsook, Ginghams, Persian Mulls, Etc., Etc.
"Will "be Closed. Out This "Week at Prices Not to he
fiST" Ladies Take Advantage
PACIFIC HARDWARE CO., Ltd.
Cummins' Slock., Fort Street.
M. & D. Wrought Steel Ranges !
THEO. H. DA VIES & CO.
Have Opened Their New
China, Glass and Furniture.
Salesroom on Kaalmmanu St., Ground Floor,
LARGE ASSORTMENT OF NEW GOODS 1-
BPKOIAL DISPLAY OF
Royal Worcester, Crown Derby, Wedgewood and Other
3STe-w Rugs and Carpets,
Fine Show of Glassware, Ivoryware, Bohemian Vases, Wine Glasses,
Tumblers, Cut Salads, Etc,
of This Special Sale! &
Temple of Fasliion.
i,xi x j..iiB A4U3& JifciiMJ".iS6ji!' -i. .