About The St. Landry Whig. (Opelousas, Parish of St. Landry, La.) 1844-1855
Opelousas, Parish of St. Landry, La. (1844-1855)
- The St. Landry Whig. : (Opelousas, Parish of St. Landry, La.) 1844-1855
- Alternative Titles:
- Saint Landry Whig
- Whig de St. Landry
- Place of publication:
- Opelousas, Parish of St. Landry, La.
- Geographic coverage:
- Joseph Etter
- Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1855?
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Sept. 5, 1844)-
- Opelousas (La.)--Newspapers.
- In English and French.
- Published with an additional masthead in French: Le Whig de St. Landry, <Sept. 12, 1844>-
- Title varies slightly: The Saint Landry Whig, <July 18, 1846>
- sn 83016702
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The St. Landry Whig
The St. Landry Whig was founded as a campaign paper in support of Whig Party presidential candidate Henry Clay of Kentucky and his running mate Theodore Frelinghuysen of New Jersey. It was published in Opelousas, Louisiana, a small but historically significant town founded in 1720 as a French trading post. Over the next 100 years, Opelousas developed into an important regional center of the cattle and cotton trades and has been the seat of government of St. Landry Parish since 1805.
Joseph Etter was the St. Landry Whig's founder and first editor. Its early issues relate chiefly to the Presidential election of 1844, state politics, and tensions between the United States and Mexico over Texas, the annexation of which Etter, like many Louisiana Whigs, supported, despite Henry Clay's opposition.
The Whig was published weekly in four pages, with two pages in English and two in French. Some articles were printed in both languages, but the French section often contains substantially different content than the English. In addition to foreign news ("nouvelles etrangères") and miscellaneous domestic news ("faits divers"), the paper carried campaign songs, poetry, and fiction. For several months in 1844-45, the French section reprinted Le loup blanc (The White Wolf), a historical romance about a masked albino swashbuckler by the French author Paul Féval, better known as a writer of vampire novels and detective stories.
At present, no issues of the St. Landry Whig are known to survive from after 1846. Other sources indicate that in 1849 it was being edited by André Meynier, who went on to establish, in 1852, the Opelousas Courier with Joel Henri Sandoz, a Swiss immigrant. The Whig is thought to have been published until 1855 and merged with the Opelousas Patriot.
Provided by: Louisiana State University; Baton Rouge, LA