The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Salt River journal.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Pages Available: 8,148,101

Title:
Salt River journal. : (Bowling Green, Mo.) 1833-1841
Place of publication:
Bowling Green, Mo.
Geographic coverage:
  • Bowling Green, Pike, Missouri  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
A.B. Chambers
Dates of publication:
1833-1841
Description:
  • -v. 9, no. 3 (Oct. 30, 1841) = -whole no. 459.
  • Began with Oct. 16, 1833 issue.
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Bowling Green (Mo.)--Newspapers.
  • Pike County (Mo.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 8 (Dec. 4, 1833).
LCCN:
sn 83016924
OCLC:
10205680
ISSN:
2326-7801
Succeeding Titles:
Related Links:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

Salt River journal. November 23, 1839, Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Bowling Green Salt River Journal

The Bowling Green Salt River Journal commenced publication on Saturday, October 9, 1833, as a four-page sheet in Bowling Green, Missouri.  The Journal was originally published by Adam Black Chambers, but by 1839, it was being issued by M. J. (Michael J.) Noyes, and in 1840, the paper lists S. A. Yager as publisher and Aylett. H. Buckner and F. H. Jones as editors and proprietors.

On November 6, 1841, the Journal was renamed the Radical under the new management of G. W. (George W.)  Buckner and his brother, A. H. Buckner.  However, the Buckners claimed that the paper would maintain the same principles, advocating a strict interpretation of the Constitution and opposition to a national bank.

On March 7, 1842, A. H. Buckner sold the paper to James H. D. Henderson who decreed that party politics were to be eliminated entirely from the paper; his motto was “peace on earth and good will towards all men.”  Determined to maintain neutrality, the Journal  on April 2, 1842 announced: “we thankfully receive the patronage of all those disposed to encourage us; and to those disposed to censure and find fault we say, withdraw your patronage—we don’t care a fig; we intend to do the thing we believe to be right, regardless of consequences.” This course of action drew criticism: many clamored for a more openly political paper, and some withdrew their support, but the publishers defended their stance in the April 23, 1842 issue, “believing that a press which utters the voice of the people, uninfluenced by the spirit of Faction, is entitled to, and will receive, the favor and patronage of that people” This issue also announced that I. Adams had become a co-partner and stressed that with its “increased circulation,” the Radical  is “one of the most interesting and important country newspapers west of the Mississippi.”

On September 7, 1844, the Radical dropped its independent affiliation by officially endorsing the Democratic candidate for president, James K. Polk. The Radical changed hands again on January 29, 1845, becoming the Democratic Banner. Samuel F. Murray and A. J. Pickens became the proprietors, and N. P. (Nicholas Peter) Minor assumed the chief editorial control, supporting the policies of the Polk administration: the independent treasury, the occupation of Oregon, and the annexation of Texas. Minor withdrew on October 18, 1845, and in April 1846, the paper was transferred to Louisiana, Missouri. The Journal retained its original name and also continued under the same leadership until December 3, 1849, when Murray, editor and proprietor for five years, sold out to Pickens and S. P. (Simon P.) Robinson.  The last available issue was published on July 9, 1851.

Provided by: State Historical Society of Missouri; Columbia, MO