Newspaper Page Text
tnense trade in ready-made clothing, making
nearly a half million per annum, they are
among the heavy manufacturers of the city.
They give constant employment to between
250 and 300 employes, and the produot of
their manufactures is soattered over a vast
region of country whioh 13 bounded on the
north only by the north pole. A3 is well
known, during the past two or three years
the wholesale ready made clothing trade has
been fearfally depressed. Although carry
ing an immense stock, the largest tnw
Hue of any house north of Ohioago, this
firm serenely awaited results and kept th
numerous employes at work, knowing that
their day would come. Gome it has, and the
present business boom finds them prepared
with an immense stock of seasonable goods,
both summer and winter, which they have
largely manufactured themselves, and whioh
they can sell to the trade far below any com-
petitors. Campbell, Bntbank & Oo. can
ride out any financial storm, and rank among
the foremost of the many solid business fiiras
of St. Paul.
Blrona, Hackett & Co.
This well-known firm, dealers in general
hardware, has a history whio extends back
over twenty years of honorable dealing. Th
house was established in 1859 by C. D.
Strong, the senior member of the present
firm, who bought out the interest of Mr. C|
L. Grant, who at that time was doing busi-
ness in a small fram a building upon the
spot where now stands the drug store of E.
H. Biggs. During the jear 1859 Mr. Slronp
done a business amounting to about $18,000.
In 1872 Mr. Strong sold an interest in the
business to Mr George A Chapin, and the
business was continued under the firm name
of C. D. Strong & Co. until 1873, when Mr.
O. W. Hackett was admitted, the firm -name
being Strong Hackett & Chapin. Since the
death of Mr Chapi the firm has been
known as Strong, Hackett & Co The firm
lemoved to its present quarters, No. 13 2
East Third street, in May 1870. Thei pres-
ent building has a front of 3 2 feet on Third
street, by loo feet deep, and has five floors.
Large as ttue space is, however, they have
found it inadequate to accommodate their
rapidly growing trade, and have therefore
entered into a contract with Dr. A. Wharton
for the erection of a budding expressly for
their own use, on Fourth street, between
Sibley and Wacouta, which Dr. Wharton is
under contract to have ready for occupancy
by the 1st of August, 1880. The new quar
ters will have a frontage of 68 feet by 125
feet deep, with live floors. W may aa well
state that another change in the firm will
take place January 1, 1880, by which Mr.
Freeman P. Strong will be admitted as a
member, the firm name remaining un-
changed, however. Like all other whole
sale houses, the trade of the house extends
generally over the Northwest, and has rapidly
increased from the $18,000 trade of 1859 to
nearly a half million in 1879. Connected
with their wholesale trade ia a tin shop, in
which all kinds of tin and sheet iron ware
is manufactured, of both of whioh the firm
sells immense quantities. They give con
stant employment to from 25 to 30 men, of
Whom Bix are constantly on the road- There
are few firms, in this or any other city, who
enjoy a more enviable reputation for business
probity and honorable dealing than the firm
of Strong, Haokett & Oo. They have cus
tomers in all portions of the Northwest, and
when a customer is once secured he remains
fluoh as long as he is in trade. St. Paul is
justly proud of such honorable business firms
aa Strong, Hackett & Co
Nicola & Dean.
One of the eldest, if not the oldest whole
Bale house in St. Paul is that now owned
by Messrs. Nicols & Dean. The house was
founded as early as 1853 by ex-Gov. Mar
shall, and since then has passed through
seveial hands until it finally settled down
under its present firm name. Several times
have they been compelled to remove in order
to obtain more space for the accommodation
of their business, their last removal being to
their present quarters, No. 141 East Third
street, on the corner of Sibley. This fine
building is 34 feet front on Third street by
135 on Sibley, and is three stories high,
with a basement. They deal exclusively in
iron, heavy hardware and railroad supplies.
They keep three men constantly on the
road, and employ from 15 to 20 in the store.
Iron is the foundation of all industries, and
this is emphatically an iron age. From a
email beginning, comparatively, their trade
has increased until it now reaches far up in
hundreds of thousands annually, and it ex
tends over the entire Northwest and into
the British Provinces. Messrs. Nicols &
Dean are universally recognized as high
minded, honorable business men
JWar/o .C Claris.
This well known wholesale hardware firm
was established Jan. 1,1854, under the firm
name of Charles E. Mayo & Oo. It is
undoubtedly the oldest exclusively hardware
house in Minnesota, and, with but very
few exceptions, is the oldest mercantile
house now doing business in St. Paul. A
few years ago the style of the firm was
ohanged to its present name, and removed
to their present quarters in the splendid
stone front building, No. 127 East Third
street. This building has a frontage of 85
feet on Third street, by 12 0 deep, and has
four floors, including the basement, all of
which are occupied with the firm's large
business. They employ 20 men, among
whom nre four traveling men, who cover
a territory including Minnesota, Wisconsin,
Iowa, Dakota and Manitoba, all of which
immense area is supplied with more or lees
goods from this firm. From a small begin
ning, 26 years ago, the trade of this house
has constantly and steadily increased, until
now it reaches up into the hundreds of
thousands of dollars annually.
Soyea Bros. & Cutler.
The firm of Noyes Bros. & Cutler (now
occupying the finest and most complete
drug warehouse in the West, if not indeed
in the "Darted States) was ormed in 1872,
succeeding Noyes Brothers in the whole
sale drug business.
As Noyes, Pett Co. in 1868-9, and Noyea
Brothers in 1869-70-71, this firm had been
successful and its business increasing, but
since it became Noyes Bros. & Cutler its
success (nid growth have been remarkable, a
credit to the city and the firm. From their
original Third street store in the old Union
block, their successive removals, first to
larger quarters in the Reeves block (now oc
cupied by Gordon & Ferguson), then to the
large double store 30 and 32 Kobert street,
and last March to the splendid building
erected nnder their supervision, and express
ly for them, by John Wann, Esq., corner of
Fifth and Sibley streets, show the
growth of their business and its
increased demands for room and
other facilities. From sales of a few thou
sand dollars per month in 1868, the increase
has been so great that th^r rank with the
very largest drug nouse of the country.
A million of sales in this business repre
sents an amount of business and labors al
most incredible, as sales do not count up in
it as in other lines of business.
The firm import largely, perhaps the most
largely of any bonse here, from France and
England, and also manufacture very largely.
They sell in Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska,
Montana, Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin,
Iowa and Illinois ship also to California and
the East, ginseng, senega, etc,etc.
They employ about fifty persons. Their
sheds and warehouses, for cheap heavy goods,
give them great facilities in handling acids
naval stores, etc, etc.
Their stock is very large and complete.
In staple drags, chemicals, dye stuffs, glass
and glassware, oils of every kind, patent
medicines, druggists sundries, instruments,
naval stores, paints and colors, fishing tack
les, cigars and smokers' articles, druggists1
stationery, etc, etc, it is remarkably large
A specialty in their business is the fitting
out of new drug stores. They fit up some
fifty or more stores every year. The largest
and finest stores here were many of them
fitted out with stock and ware from Noyes
Bros. & Outler.
Some 600 letters daily are received and
sent out by the firm, their "mail" being the
largest of any ^business firm in the North
W have not space to give in detail all the
features of their business, or even to describe
their remarkable store. Their new safety
appliances to lessen risk by fire are alone
worth a visit to the store to see and examine.
We have only, to add that in experience,
knowledge of business, in means, energy and
character, this firm stands second to none
in any portion of the country. It is a bouse
of which the city and State can well be
--PAPKR AND STATIONERY
Averill, Russell & Carpenter.
The origin of this firm was Cutter, Se
combe & 3o. and this was in 1864 I 1866,
Gen. Averill, who had just been mustered out
of the volunteer service, bought an interest
in the firm, adding his capital thereto, in
18G8 Mr. Cutter's interest was purchased,
and the firm became Averill, Seoombe & Co.-
Hon. Wm. A. Russell, present member of
Gongress from Massachusetts, and one of the
largest paper manufacturers in the United
tates, was induoed to buy [an interest in
Before the entranoe of Mr. Russell the firm
was Averill, Seoombe & Co., but in 1871 Mr.
Secombe'a interest was purchased, and the
firm became as it has remained ever since,
Averill, Eussell & Carpenter. Gen. Averill,
the senior, is well known. Carpen
tor has lived at St. Anthony since that place
was a mere village. His business career has
been a very successful one, and he now
stands a partner in the largest stationery
and paper house west of New Xork.
The business has grown from a small begin
ning until last year it amounted to $500,000.
The mills of the concern are at Minneapolis
and have a capacity of four tons daily. In
addition to the paper mill, they also have
one for making pulp, a commodity that en
ters largely into the paper of to-day.
'l'Leir trade extends over Minnesota, Iowa
and Wisconsin, and the company is well rep
resented this territory by competent trav
eling m9n. The building they occupy is an
extensive one, 60x135. In addition to the
basement, four stories are necessary to ac
commodate the large stook they are compell
ed to carry.
5*. Paul Booh and Stationery Company.
In 1860 Mr. D. D. Merrill started one of
the most pretentious book stores in the
young city of St Paul, and by energy and
strict attention to business soon made it the
headquarters for those in search of mental
pabulum. In 1875 Messrs. Wnite, Stone &
Co.,- comprising Messrs. T. S. White, Lane
K. and H.-W. Stone, began business in the
same line. These two houses continued to
be-rivals for something over three years, but
nearly a year ago they concluded that it
would be good polioy "to pool their issues."
O the 1st of Februar last a consolidation
was formed under the name of the St. Paul
Book and Stationery Oompany, and all con
nected at once set to work extending the
trade of the consolidated houses. The re
sults have demonstrated the wisdom of the
action taken, for the sales of the house dur
ing the year closed have amounted to $230,-
000, and the trade extends all over the States
of Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and Ne
braska, and reaches out Into the territories
of Dakota and Montana. Three salesmen
are kept constantly on the road. The busi
ness gives employment to about twenty-five
persons, and the stock comprises everything
imaginable in the book and stationery line.
Connected with, though independent of
the company, is the school-book business as
controlled by Mr. Merrill. During the year
he has furnished to the schools in all parts
of the State, no less than 250,000 books nn
der his contract with the State, and on these
the people have saved one-half the amount
heretofore expended by them for alike num
ber and quality of books. In both branches
of the business an increase of business is
confidently expeoted for 1880.
T. Ovpenheim & Co.
This firm embarked in the'wholesale mil
linery business in 1872 and by enterprise
and fair dealing have built up a large and
steadily increasing trade. They keep con
stantly on hand a large stock of the finest
goods in their line that the market contains,
employ four traveling salesmen and four
hon8e men, besides from 'twenty to twenty
five girls in their manufacturing department.
Occapying three stories of the building No.
101 Third street, they have facilities for
the transaction of a large business. The
sales during the year nave amonnted to about
$100,000rather less than usual, owing to
the inclement weather. The head of the
house, Hon. Joseph Oppenheim, was compli
mented in the fall of 1878 by an election to
the House of Representatives of the State,
and discharged his duties with rare fidelity
Schulce & Weisa.
One of the largest wholesale millinery
houses in St. Paul is that of Schulte & We-ss,
No. 102 Third street. Established in Feb
ruary, 1874, it rapidly accumulated a large
trade, which has been increasing with great
rapidity until the sales for 1879 reach the
very comfortable ium of 100,000. The
house has extensive Eastern connections, and
ts trade extendB all over the States of Min
nesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Dakota Terri
*ory. Their enterprising salesmen are found
in almost every village and hamlet in the
west. A capital of $30,000 is employed in
he business, which gives employment to
about twenty-five persons. The firm re
ports the future outlook as promising.
The wholesale milliner house of Wolf,
94 Third street, is an old-established and
prosperous one. Mr. Wolf does not cater
particularly for the city trade, but keeps on
hand a large Btock of the goods in his line
adapted to the wants of the surrounding
country. During the past year his trade has
largely inoreased, and the prospect for the
future is bright. Sales during the year have
amounted to about $55,000, nearly all made
by the traveling agents of the firm.
Pollock, Donaldson. Oaden.
This firm was organize in 1855 under
the present firm name, and has done busi
ness from that day until this (nearly a quar
ter of a century) under the same name, long
as it is. This is something remarkable for
a new country and we question if it finds a
parrallel in the Northwest. The firm re
moved to its present quarters, No. 36 East
Third street, in 1867. The store has a fine
iron front, is 25 by 100 feet, and has four
floors, all of whioh are needed to conduct
their large business. They are heavy im
porters and dealers In crockery, plain and
decorated ohina, glassware, looking glasses,
lamp good s, cutlery, etc, etc They give em-
ployment to fifteen persons and their trade.
which has reached the sum of $150,000 dur
ing the past year, extends to every part ol
the Northwest. In addition to their store
the firm occupies two warehouses for the
storage of their goods, whioh, as is well
known, are very bulky. This firm enjoys an
enviable business reputation for fair dealing
and solid financial backing.
Craiq & Larkin.
This house has, without ostentation,
grown into large proportions, at No. 66
East Third street. They have outgrown
their present quarters, and, though they
have not sought retail trade for some
time, it has remained with them until
they prepare to leave Third street and seek
an exclusively wholesale store on Sibley
street. Their history is the same as that
which has marked the generality of St. Paul
business menone continual career of busi
JFait hanks, jiZorse & Co.
Last July one year ago the firm head
ing thiq article established themselves in this
oity and located at No. 46 East Third street.
This firm is the agent for the Fairbanks'
Standard Scales, is in fact, a branch of the
firm which manufactures the scales which
have become world famed for their ac
curacy and reliability in all climates.
Formerly the Fairbanks located their agen-
cies in such cities as St Louis, Chicago and
Cincinnati for the west, and solicited trade
from these points. The growing importance
of the Northwest induced the company to
locate at the commercial center, St. Paul.
The house doing business in this city is one
of eight others distributed in the west,
southwest and northwest, and has exclusive
control of the famed Standard scales.
Each year they have grown in popular fa
or, until at the present time they are in uni
versal use. No one cares to buy by weight
unless "the Fairbanks" measures the article
Messrs. Fairbanks, Morse & Co., No. 46
East Third street, have these Standard scales
for sale, and the large stock on hand comes
direct from the manufacturers. Besides the
scales, which are made the speoial object anu
concern of the firm, they have on hand
grocers' fixtures of all kinds coffee, spice
and drug mills warehouse truoks and an
endless variety of like machines.
The firm occupy No. 46 East Third
street, a three story building
with basement, running from Third to Sec
ond street. The basement is used as a re
pair shop, and every part of the scales is
kept on hand, so that any scale can be quick
ly and properly adjusted.
The firm employs three traveling men,
who devote their entire attention to
the country contiguous to St.
Paulthe Northwest, Wisconsin and Iowa,
Mr. George B. Woodward, one of the firm,
is in Chicago, and besides the traveling men,
gives occupation to six others about the
It is gratifying to know that the growing
importance of St. Paul demanded that "the
Fairbanks" should establish here, and it is
satisfactory to know that our community
has responded with generous patronage.
WINES AND LIQUORS
It is only about ten days ago that the
GLOBE had occasion to refer at some length
to the old, large and well known wholesale
liquor establishment of George Benz, the
surviving partner of the old house of Benz
& Becht, and it is hardly necessary to repeat
what we then stated. Suffice it to say that
this bouse is not only among the largest
but is the best known in Minnesota. He
deals in all kinds of native and imported
wines and liquors, and occasionally Mr. Benz
pays a visit to the vine-clad hills of his Fader
land to personally make his purchases and
contracts for future supplies. His establish
ment is the most complete for his business
in the Northwest, and Mr. Benz himself is
widely known as an honorable upright busi
ness man whose word is as good as his bond.
He is a public spirited citizen, and uses his
wealth for the advancement of the adopted
eity of his choice, and his fellow-citizens
have again and again honored him with po
sitions of trust and responsibility.
Perkins, Lyons & Co.
This business was established by Mr.
George P. Peabody in the year 1859, and
was successfully carried on by him until the
year 1872. At that time Mr. George Pea
body, wishing, to retire from business, sold
half interest to W. L. Perkins, his brother
in-law, from California quarter interest to
his brother, E. P. Peabody, and quarter in
terest to Mr. Maurice Lyons, who had been
with Mr. George P. Peabody for some ten or
twelve years, and the business was continued
nnder the firm name ot Peabody, Lyons &
Co. until the 15th of March, 1879, at that
time being dissolved by the purchase of C.
P. Peabody's interest by Mr. W. L. Perkins
and Maurice Lyons, and since that time the
business has been continued on by them nn-
THE SAUSTT PAUL DAILY GLOBE, WEDNESDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 31, 1870.
der the firm name of Perkins, Lyons fc Co.,
as equal partners. The business of this
house, from its square dealing and well
known uniformity of goods, has constantly
inoreased from year to year, until it now
stands equal to any other house in the North-
west. Parties desiring liquor for the trade
or family use, would do well to call upon
this old house and look them over before
making their purchases, as their motto is
quick sales and small profits, and to give
-value received every time. This firm keeps
three, men constantly on the road, and their
sales annually amount to between $200,000
This firm was organized in 1877, and their
place of business is No. 173 West Third
street, near the Seven corners. They occupy
three floors and almost any amount of cellar
room, excavated out of the sand rock, run
ning nnder Third street for 153 feet at least.
They make a specialty of imported wipes and
brandies, and their trade extends all over the
Northwest. They have three traveling men
on the road all the time, and occasionally the
members of the firm take a spin over the
State, visiting some of their largest customers
at the leading business points. Although that
firm as been organize only a little over
two years, they are reaching out for the trade
all over the Northwest, and to-day thtir an
nual sales will rank even with, if they do not
exceed, those of any other wholesale liquor
house in Minnesota, contesting with some of
the oldest houses.
Capt. Adam Heck is the successor of the
old and well known firm of Kiefer & Heck,
which commenced business in 1870. On the
first of November last Capt. Heck bought
out the interest of Col. Kiefer, and since
then he has been going it alone. He oc
cupies the building No. 20 and 22 Jackson
street, with a frontage of 36 by 100 feet and
four floors. He has four traveling men on
the road, and his business will reach some
hing over $100,000 per annum.
P. J. Bowlin.
Mr. Bowlin is the successor to the old and
well known firm of Bowlin & McGeehan,
who for a number of years past have done
business on Sibley street. About a month
a go Mr. Bowlin removed to his present
quarters, No. 38 Sibley street, where he oc
cupies the whole four floors and basement.
He has four men on the road and his sales
reach all the way from $125,000 to $150,000
For eighteen years past Mr. William
Schmidt has been known in the wholesale
liquor business of the Northwest, a portion
of the time as the senior member of the old
firm of Schmidt & Richter. Upon the dis
solution of this firm Mr. Schmidt opened at
No. 25 Robert Street, where he now is, and
where he is managing a business which
reaches in amount from ^100,000 to $150,-
000 per year. He has a trade that sticks to
him, and Is doing a quiet but safe business.
Everybody St Panl knows ex-Alderman
Fred. Richter, who is doing business at No.
88 East Third street. Mr. Richter is one of
our modest merchants, yet his lolesale
trade figures up to about $100,000 annually.
Schmidt & Miller.
This wholesale saddlery hardware house
is the outgrowth of one that has seen as
many changes, probably, as any one in the
city. Ohas. Q. Schmidt, the senior, was in
1868 associated with r. Hammer, at pres
ent in business on Jackson street, under the
firm nasae of Schmidt & Hammer. This
was subjected to a change, and in 1869 Mr.
Schmidt concluded to "go it alone" for a
time, and the firm was simply Ohas. G.
Schmidt, but, becoming lonesome, he asso
ciated himself with one Enderlein in 1871,
and the firm was Smith & Enderlein. For
two years this firm existed, when a dissolu
tion was agreed upon, and in 1873 the firm
became Schmidt, Keifer & Co., but in 1874
the Oo. was dropped and Schmidt & Keifer
id the business.
Mr. Keifer'a health failing him he with
drew from the business, and in 1876, while
Mr. Schmidt was looking about for another
partner, the firm was simply Chas. G.
Schmidt again, as it had been once before
in its history. In 1877 another change was
made, and the firm now sails under the col
ors of Schmidt & Miller. They are engaged
in an exclusively wholesale saddlery hard
ware business at No. 66 Sibley street, where
they carry a very large stock of goods of their
lines, employing three traveling salesmen
and eight store salesmen, one bookkeeper,
r. Baker, together with the two members
of the firm, Chas. G. Schmidt and C. W.
The store is very commodious and admir
ably arranged for business purposes. The
office is a very neat, cosy affair, where you
can talk business comfortably and as pri
vately as possible, if you desire. The whole
building is heated by steam, and is arranged
with a view to economy in all its depart
ments. An important factor to this estab
lishment is its collar factory, which at the
present writing employs nineteen men, who
are earning good wages and adding many
hundreds of dollars yearly to the building up
of St. Paul.
Brecher, Becht & Co
is the only house in St. Paul which is de
voted exclusively to the Bale of notions
a nd furnishing goods at wholesale.
The building they occupy is quite
commodious, being 25x150, with four
stones and basement. The individual mem
bers of the firm are Arnold Brecher and
Geo. Becht, the latter a son of the late
Major Becht, who, at his death, was filling
oat his second term as sheriff of Bamsey
This firm, although young in
business years, having commenced
business in May last, has already a strong
hold on the purchasing community.
They have competent salesmen on the
road whose periodical visits extend as far
south as Bock Island, 111., as far north as
Winnipeg besides taking in much of the
territory west, as far as the Kooky moun
tains. They have a resident buyer in New
York who keeps a ehar lookout for bar
gains, and is constantly adding novelties as
soon as they come to the surface. A manu
facturing establishment for furnishing goods
is now being fitted up in connection with
this house, and will soon be in active opera
Their sales from May 10 to date amount
in round numbers to $90,000 whith is a very
handsome showing for a new house and in
the face of sharp, close competition. The
members of the firm are both active busi
ness men who attend closely to all the de
tails of the business, delegating very little to
others what they oan do themselves. Their
stock comprises a great variety of articles,
all of which are useful and many of whioh
are very ornamental.
The hotel capacity of St. Paul is some
thing enormous for a city of this size. Theie
are some fifty hotels of all grades, besides
almost innumerable boarding houses.
We do not give in detail any but the
more prominent hotels, and their capacity
and business is somewhat surprising. It
shows that St. Paul can care for a crowd of
10,000 people without being inconvenienced
or calling upon private resources.
The Merchants' Hotel,
Six years ago Col. A. Allen took charge of
the Merchants' hotel. From the hour he
assumed control it began to wear a different
complexion, until to day it is acknowledged
to be the best hotel in the Northwest. For
prodigal hospitality and table, it stands
without a rival even in a city as large as Chi-
cago. From year to year the Merchants'
has gained in popularity, deservingly so un
der the genial and hospitable management
of the proprietor. The Merchants needs no
extended description the whole Northwest
is acquainted with it, and tourists from the
East and South, invited by the glorious cli
mate of Minnesota to this region, have lively
and grateful remembrance of the accommo
dations and fare afforded them in St: Paul by
Under his management the house has
been enlarged, a five story addition with
sixty-four rooms has been made fronting on
Third street, and the building has been re
fitted from top to bottom with handsome
furniture, expensive and beautiful upholstery.
Throughout the house is luxurious and con
venient in all its appointments. Especial
care has been exercised in combining with
luxury every convenience, until the hotel
stands without a rival.
Situated in close promimity to the rail
road centres and the business part of the
city, it invites traveling men and all engaged
in business to quarter themselves within
its portals. A handsome and imposing
structure, the building fronts on Jackson
and Third streets. It has 175 rooms exclu
sive of six commodious parlors, dining room,
office, etc. The hotel is the largest and best
regulated in the Noxthwesi, and constantly
employs one hundred servants in the dining
room, laundry, etc. Col. Allen is known to
the public, and he has an able and courteous
assistant in Mr. John H. Dodge, chief clerk.
Once visiting the Merchants, the traveler
never omits a second coming, if he finds
himself within reaching distance.
Words do not tell so much as figures, and
42,911 guests entertained there during the
last year attest by a large majority to the
popularity of the Merchants.
The Metropolitan is an imposing four
story brick stmefare, occapying the west
side of Washington street from Third to
Fourth streets. The hotel was thrown open
to the public in 1871, being first conducted
by Gilbert Dutcher, who wa3 succeeded by
E. H. George, who gave way to Mr. George
Culver. Owing to the latter's demise the
hotel was closed until the first of last July.
It was opened about the first of July by
Col. A. O. Belote having been thoroughly
renovated and improved in many essential
particulars. Since its close in March the
hotel has undergone improvements and re
pairs to the extent of $18,000.
The transiont capacity of the house is
equal to the entertainment of 250 guests, and
has 135 rooms, and since its reopening in
July it has accommodated 15,000 tiavelers,
and during the year 25,000.
Among the many hotels in the city, the
Windsor ranks high. It is attractive out
wardly, and once inside the comforts of
home abound in cosy apartments and cuisine.
Since its opening for a New Year's dinner
January, 1878, the management under Sum
mers & Baugh has been satisfactorv to the
traveling public and patrons. At the time
opened the building was newly erected and
furnished throughout. Built after the
modern idea of convenience, it is elegant
all its appointments and has all the modern
improvements, elevator, etc., which make
life at a hotel one of elegant leisure and
comfort. The house has a capacity of 150
sleeping apartments, a handsoire dining
room and ordinary, three parlors and other
rooms common to a hotel. During the past
year 15,728 guests were entertained at the
The Clarendon hotel is a substantial three
story brick building, located on the corner of
Sixth and Wabashaw streets, and conducted
by Mr. C. T. McNamara. The house is pro
vided with sixty sleeping rooms, and during
1879 the register shows 5,840 arrivals. An
addition of forty rooms will be constructed
in the spring, to be located in the rear of the
present building, with the frontage on Sixth
The Sherman house is a liberal sized
three story frame building, located on the
corner of Sibley and Fourth streets, fronting
on the former thoroughfare, and conducted
by Mr. B. F. Ferris, 'lhe hotel enumerates
forty bed rooms, and during 1879 has ac
commodated 15,000 guests. A brick addi
tion of thirty-five rooms has been added to
the house, which will be opened to the pub
lic next spring.
Mr. Uvman'a Hotel.
This hotel is conducted by Mr Frank Up-
man. and is located on the corner of Third
a nd Cedar streets. I is a three story brick
building with a handsome stone frontage.
The hotel is equipped with thirty sleeping
apartments, and has capacity for forty tran-
sient guests. Daring the past year it has
registered 7,000 arrivals.
The International hotel is located at corner
of Seventh and Jackson streets, Marcus T.
C. Flower, proprietor. It is a three story
brick building, with rooms and accommoda
tions for 75 guests. Number registered dur
ing the year, 5,600.
The Commercial hotel is located at 95 and
98 East Seventh street, W. S. Temple, pro
prietor. It is a three story brick building,
with accommodations for 40 guests. Since
its re-opening, August 14, by the present pro
prietor, 3,102 travelers have put up there.
The Warren house is located at the corner
of Fourth and Jackson streets, D. A. Miller,
proprietor. I is a three story brick build-
in g, with accommodations for 120 guests.
The register for the year bears the names of
Gruber's hotel, corner of Fourth and
Seventh streets, or at "Seven Corners," is a
comfortable house. Its capacity is ninety
three rooms, exolusive of office and parlor,
and during the last year entertained 1,800
The European hotel is a three story brick,
situated at No. 107 East Third street, and is
conduoted by Mr. G. W. Robinson. The
house contains twenty-eight sleeping rooms,
and during the year has accommodated 5,000
The American house is conducted by Mr.
Nicholas Pottgieser. It is a three story frame
located on the corner of Fourth and Waba
shaw streets. It contains sixty sleeping
rooms, and during 1879 has provided ac
commodations for 6,500 travelers,
Boom tertained in
Name of Hotel capacity. 1879.
Merchants 175 42,911
Metropolitan 135 25,000
Windsor 150 1,5,728
Clarendon CO 5,810
Sherman 40 15,000
Dpman 40 7,000
International 75 5 60O
Commercial 40 3, ll)2
Warien 120 12000
Gruber's 93 1,800
European 28 5,000
American 60 6,500
Total 1,006 143,481
I To the above should be added the capacity
of the thirty-eight unenumerated minor hotels
and boarding houses, which at least double the
THE WATER WORKS.
An institution of St. Paul is our water
work system. No city in the Noithwest has
a more abundant supply of fresh, pure water
at all seasons of the year than St. Paul.
The water works company was organized
and woak begun in 1868, the mains fiom
Lake Phalen completed and the pipes laid
through the streets of the city two years af
The numerous lakes about St. Paul, con
necting with each other, furnish an abundant
supply of pure water, the quality of which
is superior in all respects to any in the West,
a nd is probably, in regard to purity, unsur-
passed in the country. The analysis of Prof
Silliman.of Yale college, shows that the
water from lake Phalen contains but 6.2
grains of solid matter to the gallon, while
that of the great lakes contains 11 grains.
he well water of this city contains 2 3
grains of such matter, and the quantity in
creases with the population. The water of
the springs in the upper part of the city also
shows an inferiority to that of Lake Phalen,
a specimen taken from where it bursts out
of the ground near the residence of the late
Dr. Willey, showing 11.6 grains of solid mat
ter to the gallon. These aie facts which
have been proven by the most scientific
chemists of the country, and they serve to
llustrate how peculiarly favored our city
has been in having a natural basin at its
doois, upon which it can
so easily draw for its
unlimited supply of water. The total num
ber of acres of water in the lakes at present
connected with Lake Phalen, are about ten
thousand. A single superficial foot of this
immense area would furnish a barrel of wa
ter per day for three years to one hundred
thousand people. These lakes have a water
shed of over sixty thousand acres.
THE PBESENI CAPACITY.
The city is now sopplied by two mains
ne 24-inch main and one 16-inoh main.
The present capacity of the mains is over
10,000,000 gallons daily. The present con
sumption is about one and one-half million
gallons daily. The company have 22 miles,
of pipe laid, 6% miles of 4-inch pipe, 1 0
miles of 6-inch pipe, and the balance in 12,
16 and 24-inch pipes. There are 165 hy
drants and 155 water valves. Three miles of
water mains are laid in tunnels, excavated
in the sand rock, and used exclusively by the
water oompany. There are 115 meters used
to measure water to large consumers. At pres
ent there are 1,500 consumers. The
number of men employed on an average is
30. The cost of the works was nearly $500,-
WOBK DONE IN 1879
'During the year there were new mains
laid, 2 3,008 5,280 miles, all of six-inch pipe
except about one half mile of four inch
85 new hydrants set twenty-five new water
valves set. About $25,000 were expended
this year on improvements.
The present officers of the company are:
PresidentCharles D. Gilfillan.
DirectorsWm. Lee, N. Myrick, James
Gilfillan, C. D. Gilfillan and John Caulfield.
SECRET AND BENEVOLENT SO-
The various secret and benevolent socie
ties uave experienced a year of general pros,
perifcy and with few drawbacks enter upon
the new decade with every prospect of a con
tinuance of the favor that has been extended
to them in the past.
The Grand Lodge A. F. & A. M. met on
the 14th of last January in this city. The
attendance was the largest ever known
the history of that body. Its next meeting
will be on the 13th of next month, when
the reports will show a steady access of
members during the year just closing and a
good financial condition. Our home lodges
have prospered beyond expectation, and all
anticipate a year of prosperity.
The Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Ma
sonB met October 14, and was also laigelv
attended, great interest being manifested in
the work of the order. Our local chapter is
steadily increasing in membership, and ere
long it will probably become necessary to or
ganize a new chapter in order to accommo
date those who are found worthy of eleva
tion to that sublime degree.
The Grand Council of Royal and Select
Masters was in session on the 13th of Octo
ber, and the usual business was transacted.
The reports show that the order is doing
The Grand Commandery of Knights
Templars held their annual encampment on
the shores of the lake at Water-
ville on the 24th of June. The ses
sion was most enjoyable. This sug
gested to Damascus commandery of this oity
the desirability of establishing an annual
encampment on the shores of some of the
lakes surrounding this city, where they oouid
spend the heat of the summer among the
sylvan groves, and receive then* fnenda with
true knightly hospitality. The result was
the establishment of Camp Hurlbut, on the
shore of White Bear lake, in the early part of
the month of August, where for a month
some fifty fcnights took up their quarters in
tents prepared for them. One night a week
wai set apart for the entertainment of friends
and fellow knights from other cities. These
evenings were notable for their social bril
liancy and good cheer. The picturesque
camp was brilliantly illuminated, and all
guests were accorded a hearty welcome. The
Great Western band furnished music for the
occasions, and the pavilion in the cente of
tha camp was a scene of extraordinary gaiety.
The Sabbath days were devoted to religious
observances. Tens of thousands from this
and adjoining cities vitsited the encampment
daring the season, and there -was a general
regret when the time came to strike camp.
It is probable this most enjoyable feature
will be repeated the coming year.
THE MASONIC BELIEF ASSOCIATION.
In connection with, the Masonic body of
Minnesota a relief association has been or
ganized for the purpose of aiding the fami
lies of deceased Masons. This association
now numbers 2,525 members. During
he year seventeen members have died,
and the families of each have reoeived
$2,000 in cash. To provide this money
assessments are made upon the surviving
members, but as the number of members is
exotss of the amount required there is a
surplus from each. For the past year,
therefore, though there were seventeen
deaths ther9 were but ten assessments, the
remaining seven assessments having been
paid out of the surplus accumulated from
the ten assessments collected. It will thus
be seen that a total of $34,000 has been
paid out by the association during the year,
for which each member has paid about $12,
equivalent to $G a year per $1,000 of in
surance. The membership of the associa
tion has increased about 300 during the
year. The management is confided to the
secretary, Mr. J. C. Terry.
The year has been a prosperous one for
the Odd Fellows. The increase of member
ship has been larger than ever before, and
the financial condition ofthe order was never
better. The relief society has done some
veiy efficient work, relieving the distress
not only of the families of deceased mem
berB, but to sick and destitute members
themselves. It is impossible to obtain s1
tiatics, but it is estimated that during ~o
year more than $80,000 have been dispensed
Ancient Order of United Workmen.
No. of members in St. Paul, Jan.
Present No of members in St
No. of deaths in St. Paul during
Amount of insurance paid in St.
Paaldaring 1879 _.$ 6 000
Present No. of members State.. 2,11.*
Present No of members in United
Total amount of insurance held by
all pokey holders 140,C0G DOT
United Ancient Order of Hi uids.
No. of members in St. Paul, Jan. I, 1879. COO
Present No. of members in St. Paul 600
No. of deaths in St. Paul durir.^ 1871) 5
Amonnt of insurance paid in St. Paul
during 1879 S5 010
Present No. of members in the State.. 1 liW
THE AMUSEMENT WORLD.
St. Paul has been favored during tbe past
year Ritb, as a rule, a very excellent class of
amusements. We have had a few draamt'
entertainments of a high order, three 6ea
sons of grand opera, "Pinafore" wnl ou'
limit by no less than half a dozen drffeient
organizations, all the negro minstrelsy tl, i
has been going with a sprinkling of lector.,
and readings, and a few burlesque perform
ances of the usual merit. Our concert
have been mostly given by home talent, but
they have been none the less enjoyable on
that account. I is notable that the opm
and "Pinafore" drew the largest houses ot
the year, with the minstrels next in oidev.
though the pantomime of "Humpty Dumpt j''
could boast of almost as large houses, though
at lower prices. Fanny Davenport and
Mary Anderson drew the largest houses ol
dramatic stars who have visited us. The
lectures drew the smallest audiences of the
We subjoin a complete record of the
amusements of the year 1879 in St. Paul,
together with brief comment as to the char
acter of the entertainments and the recep
tion accorded them by our people. It will
prove useful for reference to those who are
interested in events of the past that have oc
curred here. Where not otherwise indicated
the entertainments were given at the Opera
Z7ie Record for 1879.
Jan. 1-4, with two matineesCharles Forbes'
Dramatic company in "Black Diamonds" and
"Uncle Tom's Cabin." Performance indiffer
ent and attendance fair.
Jan. 14.Lecture by W. M. R. French otf
"Conventional Art and Modern Decoration."
Lecture commonplace and receipts moderate.
Jan. 16.Benefit of tb Protestant Orphan
asylum by amateurs, with ''A Scrap of Paper."
Good performance and receipts large.
Jan. 18.Adelaide Phillipps Conoert com
pany in selections from "Martha" and "It
Trovatore." Well rendered but not largely
Jan. 20 and 21.Chase Concert company
Gtooof concerts poorly patronised.
Jan. 23.Masquerade ball under the ausp ices
of Marco Bozarris Grove A. O. at Atbo
naum Highly successful.
Jan. 23.Headings by the Misses Banning
Well executed and fairly patronized.
Jan. 27.Opera of "Stradella" at Atbermum
by the German society. House crowded ar
performance of a high order for amateurs.
Jan. 28.Sixty-second concert of the Bt.
Paul Musical society. First appearance of
Miss Gilbertie Davidson Fine concert well
Jan. 31 and Feb. 1, with Saturday matince
Alf. Burnett and Miss Helen Nash in readings.
Only fairly Buccessfal in any respect.
Feb. 1,Matinee concert by Musical sooietj
at Music Hall. Successful.
Feb. 2.Bepetition of "Stradella" at tbe
Athenaeum by German society. A better rrr
formance than before, bat not as largely pat
Feb. 10-12.John Dillon in "Toby, the C03
jurer." Large houses and plenty of fan.
Feb. 10.Masquerade of German society a*
Athenasam. Grand gala night.
Feb. 15.Return John Dillon. "TobyN