About The Tropical sun. (Juno, Dade County, Fla) 1887-19??
Juno, Dade County, Fla (1887-19??)
- The Tropical sun. : (Juno, Dade County, Fla) 1887-19??
- Alternative Titles:
- Salerno news <1913>
- Place of publication:
- Juno, Dade County, Fla
- Geographic coverage:
- Guy I. Metcalf
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1887.
- Weekly <1913-1926>
- Juno Beach (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Miami-Dade County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Palm Beach County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- West Palm Beach (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- "Official paper of Dade County."
- "Search for the truth is the noblest occupation of man; its publication a duty."
- Available on microfilm from The State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
- Description based on: Vol. 5, no. 5 (Mar. 25, 1891).
- Editor: <Jan. 21, 1892> G.I. Metcalf.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 40, no. 30 (Oct. 8, 1926).
- Published at Juno, <Mar. 25, 1891-Jan. 3, 1895>; and at West Palm Beach, <Jan. 31, 1895-Oct. 8, 1926>.
- The Tropical Sun [LCCN: sn83025639], the self-declared "Official paper of Dade County", was the chief medium for Dade County, Florida, well before Miami (FL) was a twinkle in the land developers' eyes. First published in 1887, eight years before Miami was incorporated as a city, the Tropical Sun covered the events of Florida's Land Boom in the 1920s and its subsequent bust in preceding the Great Depression in south Florida. It also documents the growth of tourism, the presence of malaria in Florida prior to World War II, and other issues related to the struggles of the developers of south Florida's Atlantic coast. The only rival to the Tropical Sun was the Miami (FL) Metropolis [LCCN sn96027198] and its successor newspapers. The Tropical Sun was published as a weekly for most of its history but, also, as a semiweekly between 1903 and 1906. Miami and Dade County saw an increase in tourists after 1906 when Henry Flagler's railroad opened service to Key West. Before this date, tourist traffic to Key West would have involved travel by city. The location of the Tropical Sun's offices in Juno, Florida, "set back from the (railroad) track some thirty feet and from the wharf about fifty yards" is telling of both the newspaper's and south Florida's relationship with and their reliance on tourism. Between 1891 and 1895, the Tropical Sun was published in Juno, Florida. From 1895 to 1926, it was published in West Palm Beach, Florida. For a time beginning in 1914, the newspaper published both as a weekly under the Tropical Sun title and as a daily under the title, the Daily Tropical Sun. Both Juno and West Palm Beach are in current day (ca. 2007) Palm Beach County, Florida. But, both titles served the City of Miami and the whole of the then much larger Dade County during their years of publication. Palm Beach County was separated from Dade County in 1909.Cf, Andrews Meyers, Ruby. "Newspaper Pioneering on the Florida East Coast, 1891-1895". p.52. Online at Florida International University Digital Collections http://digitalcollections.fiu.edu/tequesta/files/1983/83_1_03.pdf.-- E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- sn 83025639
- Related Titles:
- View complete holdings information
The Tropical Sun declared itself the "Official paper of Dade County" before Miami was a twinkle in the land developers’ eyes. First published in 1887, eight years before Miami was incorporated as a city, the Tropical Sun covered the Florida Land Boom of the 1920s, as well as the ensuing bust that preceded the Great Depression. The paper also documented the growth of tourism, the lingering problem of malaria, and other issues related to the development of south Florida’s Atlantic coast. Miami and Dade County saw a great increase in tourists after 1906 when Henry Flagler’s railroad extended service to Key West. The location of the Tropical Sun’s offices in Juno, “set back from the (railroad) track some thirty feet and from the wharf about fifty yards” speaks to the importance of tourism both to the newspaper and to south Florida.
The Tropical Sun was published in Juno between 1891 and 1895 and in West Palm Beach from 1895 to 1926. The paper appeared weekly for most of its history, and also semiweekly between 1903 and 1906. For a time beginning in 1914, a daily version was also issued under the title, the Daily Tropical Sun. The only rival to the Tropical Sun was the Miami Metropolis and its successor newspapers. Both titles served Miami and the whole of the then much larger Dade County.
Provided by: University of Florida