About Delaware gazette. (Delaware, Ohio) 1855-1886
Delaware, Ohio (1855-1886)
- Delaware gazette. : (Delaware, Ohio) 1855-1886
- Alternative Titles:
- Delaware weekly gazette
- Place of publication:
- Delaware, Ohio
- Geographic coverage:
- A. Thomson
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 37, no. 38 (Dec. 21, 1855)-v. 70, no. 50 (Dec. 9, 1886).
- Delaware (Ohio)--Newspapers.
- "Republican." <1859-1865>.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Published as: Delaware weekly gazette, Sept. 30, 1886-Dec. 9, 1886.
- Publishers: A. Thomson, <1856>; A. Thomson & Son, <1865-1876>.
- sn 83035595
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Delaware Gazette is one of the longest running newspapers in the state of Ohio and the oldest paper in Delaware County. The Gazette originated in 1818 as the Delaware Gazette, and Religious Informer by Presbyterian Joseph Hughs and Baptist Joseph Drake. The paper did not have a very long life. Struggling to find steady readership, it was sold in 1821 to Ezra Griswold, owner of the Delaware Patron and Franklin Chronicle. Griswold ran the two papers concurrently, re-naming his recent acquisition the Delaware Gazette. In an attempt to improve the subscriptions, and make his job easier, Griswold merged his two papers in 1823 and changed the name to the Delaware Patron. He changed the paper’s name again to the Ohio State Gazette in 1830.
In 1834, George Sharp purchased the growing paper and changed the name to the Olentangy Gazette. Sharp enlisted the help of a young man named Abraham Thomson to run the paper. They were equal partners for the next few years until Sharp, becoming disenchanted with the paper business, sold his share to Judge David Fuller. Thomson became the sole proprietor two years later in 1855, buying out Fuller and changing the name to the Delaware Gazette.
Under the ownership of Thomson, the Gazette grew, reaching a circulation of about 3,000 readers. Thomson made sure the paper represented the Whig political party and moved support to the newly created Republican Party in 1854, becoming the organ of the party in the county. Thomson closely followed the Civil War, often printing letters from soldiers and showing support for their families at home.
Health problems forced Thomson to leave the Gazette in 1866, but the Thomson name remained on the paper as he handed it over to his son, Henry Clay Thomson. From 1866 to 1871, the young Thomson ran the paper with Civil War veteran Alfred Lee. The new owners dedicated their efforts to the local interests of the county, especially the agricultural community. The Gazette remained in the Thomson family until 2004 when it was sold. The Delaware Gazette is still being published to this day.
Provided by: Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, OH