The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The Minneapolis journal.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Pages Available: 8,787,116

Title:
The Minneapolis journal. : (Minneapolis, Minn.) 1888-1939
Alternative Titles:
  • Evening journal
  • Journal junior
  • Minneapolis evening journal
  • Sunday journal
Place of publication:
Minneapolis, Minn.
Geographic coverage:
  • Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
Journal Print. Co.
Dates of publication:
1888-1939
Description:
  • Oct. 1, 1888-Oct. 20, 1905; v. 27, no. 286 (Oct. 21, 1905)-61st year, no. 248 (July 31, 1939).
Frequency:
Daily Oct. 1, 1905-July 31, 1939
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Minneapolis (Minn.)--Newspapers.
  • Minnesota--Minneapolis.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01204260
Notes:
  • Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • Available on microfilm from the Minnesota Historical Society, and the Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service.
  • Merged with: Minneapolis star (Minneapolis, Minn. : 1928 : Home ed.), to form: Minneapolis star the Minneapolis journal.
  • On Sundays published as: Sunday journal, <Nov. 3, 1918>.
  • Weekly children's supplement called The journal junior published Jan. 15, 1898-<Apr. 6, 1913>.
LCCN:
sn 83045366
OCLC:
1757631
ISSN:
2151-3953
Preceding Titles:
Succeeding Titles:
Related Links:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

The Minneapolis journal. January 1, 1901, Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Minneapolis Journal

The Minneapolis Journal began publishing on November 26, 1878 as the Evening Journal with Clarence A. French, Charles H. Stevens, and Frank E. Curtis as the founders. The Journal provided news coverage of Minneapolis as well as Saint Paul, the state, and the nation. Its first years of publication were chaotic and challenging, as they were for most daily newspapers of that time period. But the Journal survived and flourished for the next 60 years.

The Journal was politically Republican as was its main rival, the Minneapolis Tribune. The Journal covered sports, women’s issues, entertainment, theater, and business news. In 1888, the Journal hired a full time news photographer, Edwin A. Bromley. Political cartoons by Charles Bartholomew, known as “Bart.,” began to appear on the front page in 1890. These popular cartoons were reprinted in newspapers throughout the United States and Europe. In 1898, the newspaper began a “Junior Journal” section on Saturdays for young readers. Its locally produced content appeared for fifteen years. A highlight of the “Junior Journal” was its featured writing and artwork of schoolchildren from Minneapolis, greater Minnesota, and Northwestern states including Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, Montana, and Nebraska

Herschel V. Jones started as a reporter for the Journal in 1885. He became an influential business and commercial reporter and editor, helping the newspaper gain the support of the Minneapolis business community. In 1908, Jones purchased the Journal, and his family went on to manage the paper longer than any other owner. Jones was instrumental in developing the market page which documented the importance of Minnesota as a major wheat producer and Minneapolis as the milling center of the nation.

In 1939, the Journal was purchased by the Cowles family and merged with the Minneapolis Star to form the Minneapolis Star-Journal. In 1947, the “Journal” was dropped and the title became the Minneapolis Star . In 1982, the evening Star merged with the morning Minneapolis Tribune to form the Minneapolis Star and Tribune, which in turn became the Star Tribune in 1987.

Provided by: Minnesota Historical Society; Saint Paul, MN