Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library, Urbana, IL
Newspaper Page Text
HERE'S A HANDY BALKAN' WAR GUIDE
(Cut This Out for Reference
When Reading Dispatches
From the Front.)
Adrianople The principal
fortress in European Turkey.
Near the Bulgarian frontier on
the railway between Belgrade
and Constantinople. Population
about 80,000, consisting of Turks
(less than half), Bulgarians,
Jews, Armenians and Greeks.
Albania A region in the west
of European' Turkey, with a pop
ulation of over 15000,000. V
Belgrade- The capital of Ser
via, on the 'right bank of the Dan
ube, near ; Semlin, Austria-Hungary.
Population about 30,000.
Berana, Close to the Montene
grin border, the scene of several
Bucharest Capital of Rou
mania, styled by the Roumanians
the "Paris of the East." Strongly
fortified. Population 300.000.
Burgas A seaport of South
ern Bulgaria, 76 miles northeast
of Adrianople. Population 12,000.
Cettinje Capital of Montene
gro, in a narrow valley at an ele
vation of about 2,000 feet. Popu
Durazzo A fortified town on
the coastjof Albania.
-' Elassona A town in Euro
pean Turkey, .close to the Greek
' Ipek A town in the Kossovo
vilayet of Turkey in Europe, near
the frontier of Montenegro.
Macedonia A part of modern
Turkey ; contains a medley ofpeo-
pleSi the chief elements being
Slavs, Osmanlis and Greeks. The
quadruple alliance are demand
ing autonomy for it.
Mitrovitza A Turkish- town
in the vilayet of Kossovo, the ter
minus of the railway from Salon
ika in the direction of Novi-Ba-zar.
Nish or Itfissa A fortified Ser
vian town 130 miles southeast of
Belgrade. Population 21,524.
About 3 miles from Turkish fron
Novi-Bazar The Sanjak of
Novi-Bazar is between Servia (on
the east) and Montenegro (on
the west). It adjoins Bosnia. It
was occupied by Austria and
evacuated in 1908, when the sov- '
ereignty of Austria was extended
over Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Philippolis. B u 1 g a rian city,
the seat'of a Greek archbishropic.
Population 42,849. Turks defeat
ed here by the Russians in 1878.
Ppdgoritza (Mountain Fort)
The largest town in Montene
gro (38 miles porth of Scutari,
and 3 miles from the Turkish
frontier), headquarters of the
Montenegrin army; strongly for
tified. Preveza, Gulf .of At the south
ern extremity of Albania.
Prisrend Capital .of the vila
yet of Kossovo. Seat of a Cath
olic archbishropric and a Greek
Pristina A Turkish -town in
the, vilayet of Kossovo, 3 miles
northeast of Prisrend. Popula
Salonika Ajt the head of the