Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Republican. (Woodville, Miss.) 1844-1847
Woodville, Miss. (1844-1847)
- The Republican. : (Woodville, Miss.) 1844-1847
- Place of publication:
- Woodville, Miss.
- Geographic coverage:
- F. Soule & J.H. Leatherman
- Dates of publication:
- New ser., v. 21, no. 7 (Feb. 3, 1844)-new ser. v. 24, no. 7 (Jan. 30, 1847).
- Woodville (Miss.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Available on microfilm from The University of Kenkucky & The Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- sn 84020022
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Woodville Republican, The Republican, The Woodville Republican, The Woodville Republican, and Wilkinson Advertiser and Woodville Republican
The Woodville Republican, the longest running newspaper in Mississippi and possibly the state's oldest continuously operated business, was published in Wilkinson County in the southwest corner of the state. Situated on the eastern bank of the Mississippi River, Wilkinson County was created in 1802 as part of the Old Natchez Cession, the first area occupied by Europeans. Woodville, the county seat and one of the oldest towns in the state, was home to several prominent Mississippians including President of the Confederate States of America, Jefferson Davis, whose boyhood home was nearby Rosemont Plantation.
The founding editor/proprietor of the Woodville Republican, Missourian W. A. A. Chisholm, moved to Woodville in fall 1823 and published the first issue on December 11, 1823. Chisholm published and/or edited the four-page, weekly paper until at least 1836. Variations in name and changes of management were frequent throughout the paper's early years: Woodville Republican (1823-26); the Republican, and Wilkinson Weekly Advertiser (1826); Woodville Republican, and Wilkinson Weekly Advertiser (1827-30); Woodville Republican (1833-1844); the Republican (1844-47); the Woodville Republican (1847-53); and the Woodville Republican, and Wilkinson Advertiser (1853-55). Around 1858, the name of the newspaper reverted to the Woodville Republican for the fourth and final time. "Republican" referred to our nation's form of government; the paper always supported the Democratic Party except from 1869 to 1874 when William H. Nobles, a Republican and for a few years county sheriff, ran the paper. In 1879 former Confederate Captain John South Lewis, joined the paper and later became sole proprietor/editor. Subsequently, the Republican passed from father to son through four generations, and as of 2014 was owned and operated by Andrew Lewis, John S. Lewis's great-grandson.
The content and organization of the Woodville Republican reflected the changing times. During the 19th century, the paper was a mix of national, state, and local news; poetry, general interest items, letters and addresses of notable southerners, and local advertisements. In the 1850s, political news of interest to citizens filled the anti-Whig paper. For example, the Nashville Convention, an 1850 meeting of nine southern states to consider secession, was a recurring topic, and in 1851 the paper focused on Mississippi's gubernatorial race. Beginning in the early 20th century, state and local news and social announcements were more dominant. By 1902, "Mississippi State News" was a regular front-page column, and the Republican declared itself the "Official Journal of Wilkinson County." Columns and editorials reflected prevailing attitudes of white conservative Democrats. News of the day included the new state capitol building in Jackson and President Theodore Roosevelt's November 1902 bear hunt in Sharkey County, Mississippi, from which evolved the "teddy" bear.
Provided by: Mississippi Department of Archives and History