About The Albany register. (Albany, Or.) 1868-18??
Albany, Or. (1868-18??)
- The Albany register. : (Albany, Or.) 1868-18??
- Place of publication:
- Albany, Or.
- Geographic coverage:
- C. Van Cleve
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1868.
- Albany (Or.)--Newspapers.
- "U.S. official paper for Oregon."
- Also issued on microfilm from University of Oregon.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 12 (Nov. 28, 1868).
- Has occasional supplements.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 13, no. 14 (Dec. 31, 1880).
- Publication date varies: Saturday; Friday.
- sn 84022643
- Preceding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Albany Register
The Albany (Oregon) Register was founded by Collins "Coll" Van Cleve in 1868, the same year the recently revived Albany Journal went bankrupt. A Republican weekly, the Journal served the residents of Albany and Linn County. Pickett & Co. had revived the Journal in 1867, but the company went bankrupt in March 1868, resulting in the newspaper becoming defunct.
The former editor of the Albany Journal, William McPherson, was elected to the Office of State Printer and moved to the state capitol, Salem. With McPherson's election and the paper's demise, the Journal's printing plant was left abandoned. In 1868, Van Cleve, who was a captain in the Civil War, took over the plant and became publisher and editor of the new Albany Register. Van Cleve had previously worked at the Weekly Oregonian and the Oregon Weekly Times.
Like the Journal, the Register was a Republican newspaper. Although it was published daily in 1875, the Albany Register was a weekly newspaper for most of its run. Its four-page layout was occasionally extended because of special supplements. Regular sections in the paper included "Local Matters," "Brevities," and "Scientific Scraps." News articles focused on national and international events. Advertisements in the Register touted appliances, housewares, medicines, and clothing.
The Albany Register ceased publication sometime in the 1880s.
Provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR