Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Alton observer. (Alton [Ill.]) 1836-1838
Alton [Ill.] (1836-1838)
Alton observer. : (Alton [Ill.]) 1836-1838
- Place of publication:
- Alton [Ill.]
- Geographic coverage:
- Elijah P. Lovejoy
- Dates of publication:
Vol. 3, no. 36 (Sept. 8, 1836)-v.4, no. 46 (Apr. 19, 1838) = whole no. 140-202.
- Alton (Ill.)--Newspapers.
- Antislavery movements--United States--Newspapers.
- Cincinnati (Ohio)--Newspapers.
- Available on microfilm from the Illinois State Historical Library.
- Editors: Sept. 8, 1836-<Aug. 10, 1837> E.P. Lovejoy; Dec. 28, 1837-Apr. 19, 1838 E.W. Chester.
- Issues for Dec. 28, 1837-Apr. 19, 1838 carry the statement: "In its matter it [the Alton observer] is ... essentially the same with the Cincinnati journal, being published at the same office and the Editor being the same."
- Publication suspended Aug. 24?-Dec. 21, 1837.
- Published in Cincinnati, Ohio, Dec. 28, 1837-Apr. 19, 1838.
- sn 84024151
- Preceding Titles:
View complete holdings information