About Delaware state journal. (Wilmington, Del.) 1870-1883
Wilmington, Del. (1870-1883)
- Delaware state journal. : (Wilmington, Del.) 1870-1883
- Place of publication:
- Wilmington, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Henry Eckel
- Dates of publication:
- -n.s., v. 4, no. 23 (Dec. 6, 1883).
- Began in 1870.
- Description based on: Vol. 38, no. 83 (Oct. 18, 1870).
- sn 84026836
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
Delaware State Journal and Statesman, Weekly Delaware State journal and statesman and Delaware State Journal
Founded in Wilmington by Peter Brynberg and Robert Porter in 1833, the Delaware State Journal was published on a semi-weekly basis with Moses Bradford as editor. Both a contemporary and a rival of the Delaware Gazette, the Delaware State Journal was edited by Henry Naff until his retirement in 1849. At that time, Henry Eckel, a journeyman at the Delaware State Journal purchased the newspaper.
In 1855, Eckel also bought the Statesman, which had recently merged with another Wilmington paper, the Blue Hen's Chicken. In that same year, the Journal was renamed the Delaware State Journal and Statesman; it appeared in both semi-weekly and weekly editions. The semi-weekly, published from May 29, 1855, until June 4, 1858, was known as the Delaware State Journal, Statesman, and Blue Hen's Chicken. The weekly version was called the Weekly Delaware State Journal, Statesman, and Blue Hen's Chicken. The latter ran briefly from May 21 to June 1, 1859, after which it was renamed the Daily Journal and Statesman. Soon thereafter, their titles reverted to Delaware State Journal and Statesman and Weekly Delaware State Journal and Statesman.
In its early years, the Journal served as a Whig publication, rivaling the Delaware Gazette, a Democratic newspaper. The Delaware State Journal and Statesman maintained its Whig association until the party was replaced by Republicanism, an affiliation it maintained until after the Civil War. In 1868, the Delaware State Journal and Statesman began to support the Democratic Party.
From 1862 until 1872, Henry Eckel had been sole proprietor and editor of the Delaware State Journal and Statesman. In 1870, he changed its name back to Delaware State Journal. With the May 1, 1872 issue, Eckel turned the paper from a semi-weekly to a daily. In June 1872, he sold his interest to William T. Croasdale and Gilbert G. Cameron, the editors of the Every Evening. The two men also obtained the Delaware Gazette in 1882 and consequently merged the two newspapers to form the Delaware Gazette and State Journal, which operated until 1902.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE