Newspaper Page Text
James A. Hoyt, Jr
Anderson, May 26.?Anderson is a
peculiarly appropriate place for a
bauIrerV couventiou, inasni teh as the
bauks if thi.) oity and county have
aobieve? a noiabls record.
it ii csid* ihat in proportion to pop
ulation Auderaor. has a larger bank
ing capital than ivny other interior
town in South Carolina. Whether
this be true exactly or not cannot be
uaid from the information at hand,
but it is well known that the business
of banking has for many years been
profitably conducted in this city of
growing, thriving Piedmont, and this
fact is largely due to the confidence
and patronage which the farme/s of
this superb farming county have ac
corded these home instituions.
The National Bank of Anderson
was organized in tho year 1872, when
South Carolina was anything but a
prosperous State, and when there were
anything but prosperous times just
ahead. Its capital stock was $50,000.
The president was Col. Joseph X.
Browa. who had carved his name as a
gallant soldier in war and then proved
his fitness for leadership in times of
peace. The cashier was Mr. J. A.
Brock and the. assistant cashier was
Mr. B. Frank Mauldin, the recently,
retired president of the State Bank
ers' Association* The National Bank
of Anderson was successful from the
start and for 19 years paid a dividend
of 12 per cent. In 1891 it
stood eighth in banking value in the
United States and third in tht
South. In that year it was determin-j
?d to liquidate and organize another
bank, not a national bank. The
bank wound up its affairs; and the
stockholders were paid $475 for every
$100 they had put in.
The Bank of Anderson was organ
ized as the sucoessor of the National
Bank of Anderson. Col. Brown vol
untarily retired from the presidency
and Mr. Brook was elected president
and Mr. Mauidin made cashier, Col.
Brown being elected vice-president
and attorney, and these gentlemen
now hold the positions just named.
The capital stock is $150,000, and
every yeat of its existence the Bank
of Anderson has paid 10 per cent, its
surplus now being $150,000.
The Farmers' and Merchants' Bank
was organized in 1888, with the late
R. S. Hilles president ?nd Mr. J. R.
Van ciiver as cashier. The capital was
at first $50,000 and it was subsequent
ly i noreaaed to $100,000. It has paid
10 per cent, regularly and its surplus
is *iow $120,000. Upon the death a
few months ago of Mr. Hill?a gentle
man whom Anderson misses sorely?
Mr. Vandiver was made president,
and Mr. J. Boyoe Burriss was made
The Fopple'? Bank was organized
only six years ago with a capital
stock of $100,000 and with Mr. Fret
well, as president?and Mr. Fretwell
is capital stock himself* This .bank
has paid a dividend of 8 per cent,
regularly and is doing a good business.
The cashier is Mr. John N. Bleckley.
An institution which is an adjunct
in a senBC to. the Farmers' and Mer
chants' bank is the Farmers' Loan
and Trust company, whioh was organ- !
ized in 1902 with a capital stock of
t75,000. Mr. R. S. Hill was the first
president of this institution- and on
his death Mrs Vandiver succeeded
him in that position also.
A glance at the banking business
of thie community takes in only part
of the field unless some mention is
made of the banking ) institutions
throughout tho county of Ander
The Bank of Belton,. at Belton, was
organized in 1899 wit a capital of $50,
00O and its surplus is; now 30,000 and
11 has been paying 10 per cent. The
officers arc: B. A. Lewis, presided;
Ellison A. Smyth, vice-president, and
W.E. Geer cashier.
Th? Belton Saving bank is capital
ized at 25,000, having been organized
?he Farmcra' Bank of Belton
*?b also organised in 1003. the eapV
l^H^^QpO.. Judge W. F. Cox
y\vnmWl^Bm^t Ashury O. Lst
imer is vice?pre?id?nt and John A.
Horton is cashier.
At Hones ?fcth the Citizens? Bank
J-s organized jn 1900 with L. Ai
Brock as president, J. C. Milford as
rtce-prasident and P. W. Sullivan
cashier. The capital ia $35,000 and
Ibe baok. <it*r paying 8 per cent, for
the fiVf/years of its existence, now
h?8 e surplus of $17,000.
The Bank of Honea Path was or
ganized 10,1903 with R. M. Shirley
President, J. D. H?mmert vio?-preBi
?ant and T. R. Fin?ey cashier. The
oat?tsl is $25,000, and the surplus is
aotf a'bo?t $4,000,
Bank of Pendleton, in the up
P*r sectWof the county, was estab
lished in 1809 with a capital of $30,
$ SEE US.
s is Sure and Steady.
., in Columbia State.
000, and it has paid 10 per oent. its
surplus now being about $5,000. M.
M. Hunter is president and J. J.
Sitton is cashier.
The Bank of Williamston, at Wil
liamston, was formed in 1000 with a
capital of ?20,000; it has paid 8 per
cent, and its surplus now is $6,000.
The president is James 1\ Gossett
and the cashier is JO , M. Lander.
At Pelzer the Chioora Savings
Bank was established in 1886 with a
capital of $20,000, and its surplus is
now twice that amount? $40,000.
Gapt. Ellieon A. Smyth is president
and J. A. Hudgins is cashier.
At Starr, on the Augusta road, th?v
Bank of Starr has a oapital o* *i?t- '
000 having been established this year.
Its officers are: A. S. Bowie, presi- '
dent, J. B. Tandiver vice-presi
dent, and W. A. Hudgins cashier.
Tho Bank of Iva was also organized
this year, the oapital being $15,000.
T. G. Jackson is president, J. E.
Watson is vice president and H. 11.
Sherard is cashier.
The recently retired president of
the Bankers' Association, Mr. B. F.
Mauldin, has a right to bo regarded as
a typical banker if the extent of his
banking interests is a criterion. It
has already been stated that he is the
cashier of the Bank of Anderson. He
is also an officer in eaoh of several
banks in neighboring towns, though
outside of Anderson County.
Mr. Mauldin is president of the
Bank of Due West, which was estab
lished in 1900 with $8,500 capital
paid in. This bank now has a surplus
of $7,500. Mr. A. S. Kennedy is vice
president and cashier.
The Bank of Hodges is another in
stitution of which Mr. Mauldin is
the president. It was established in
1904 with a oapital of $10.000 paid in,
and now has a surplus of $2,000*
The vice-president is E. S. Tinsley
and the cashier is B. S. Hodges.
The Lowndesviiie Banking company
in Abbeville County, as are the two
above, was organized in 1904 with a
paid-in capital ' of $12,500. Mr.
Mauldin is president, Mr. T. D.
Cooley is vice-president and B. H.
Mosely is cashier.
In 1900 the Bank of MoCormick
was established with a oapital of
$25,000, and now has a surplus of
$15,000. Mr. Mauldin is the presi
dent,\Mr. G. E. Britt is cashier and
Mr. G. E. Bradley is nrslecant cash
The secret of the banking suocess of
Anderson is not difficult to ascertain.
Anyone who is familiar with the
business conditions of the county
will tell you that it is largely due to
the fact that the farmers believe in
the banks and patronize the banks,
being both stockholders and depos
itors. As Anderson is now, and has
always been, an esc el lent agricul
tural community, this means a great
"Auderson," said a banker of this
city, "was the first county in South
Carolina to put the farmers on a cash
basis. Today practically all the far
ming business of this county is con
ducted on a cash basis, and we re
gard the f armor a' loans no tho best
class of business that comes our way,
They are usually prompt to pay.
They deposit in the banks and this
increases our resonrcea aud our busi
ness to a tremendous extent. The
deposits in tho banks of this city
range from $800,000 to $1,000,000."
"The farmers, then," it-was sug
gested, 'Wo in pretty good condition
in this county?"
"Tes, they are. Nearly all of them
pay cash, and if any of them need a
loan their neighbors endorse for them,
and that is all the security they need
to get money at the bank. The land
lords endorse for their tenants and
the Hen businessis practically un
One of the largest merchants of
Anderson . confirmed this statement,
and asserted that so .far as. Anderson
county was concerned tho lien law had
been practically repealed. Ho said
ho could remember the time when ho
had to persuade a farmer friend to de?
posit his money in the bank but that
now the farmers and the banks are on
the most friendly terms and this con-,
dition is of great Kelp to the farm
Keferring to tltu present condition
off the farmers, it is stated that the
farmers have held a large number of
bales of cotton of last year's crop and
one banker stated that many of the
farmers who have cotton hold over
1m abundantly able to hold it another
season through. The farmers of An*
derson county are thoroughly in line
with the - recent movement to organ
ise, and the organisation in this
county is said to he strong and iutel
liftoritly directed, but no esti?&to of
the reduction of acreage could be se
cured?though the- rains are matting
the acreage at prescsi.
There is one ootton warehouse in
this city?to the success of which Mr.
Lewis W; Parker referred in his re
marks the other day. This ia the
Farmers' Warehouse oompaoy, of
which Mr. R. E, Ligon is the mana
ger. It does a good business and has
paid dividends regularly. The ca
pacity is about 5,000 bales, and last
fall the warehouse could not hold all
the cotton there was to be stored,
and the cotton mills carried the over
The productien of Anderson county
is normally about 45,000 bales but
last year the production ran up to
57,000 bales according to the govern
ment reports. This county, it is thus
seen, ig one of the largest cotton pro
ducing counties in South Carolina.
But its farmers are not cottontots by
It is also a large cotton manufac
turing county. Tho fame of its cot
ton mills ban gone far abroad. The
Pendleton Manufacturing company
was organized with private capital as
far back as 1835?one of the oldest
ootton mills in the state. The Pel.ter
mills are known the world over for
"Heir produot, and Pelzer ia perhaps
'.he largest exclusively cotton mill
town in the State. The Brogon mill
in the oity of Anderson is not yet so
famous but it deserves to be, for it is
a unique institution among the cotton
mills of South Carolina and in point
of construction and production is well
worth seeing and describing.
The list of cotton mills in this
county is about ar much as can be
given in the space at the disposal - of
this artiole, but this of itself is very
The Anderson cotton mill has a
capital of $600,000; runs 70,000
Bpindles and 1,864 looms; employs 1,
I 200 hands and oonsumes annually 18,
000 bales of cotton. Tho product is 4
to 7 yards sheetings, converted into
tine print cloths. The president is
Mr. J. A. Brook?whose name appears
at the head so many Anderson en
Tho Brogon mill?of which more
extended notice will be taken later?
has a oapital of $600,000; runs 25,
000 spindles and 1,000 looms; employs
about 1,000 hands and consumes
about 10,000 bales of ootton. Its
produot is the unique feature?outing
cloths, etc. The president is Mr.
Brook and the vice-president and
treasurer is Mr, B* ?. Ligen. Tue
mill gets its name from the. two
names, Brook and Ligon?Bro-gon.
The Corona mill, knitting, ia cap
italized at $13,000 and it makes a
medium grade of Misses and chil
dren's hose. This president is Mr.
Geo. W. Evans, a young business
The Cox mill is capitalized at $200,
000 and runs 25,(00 spindles with a
consumption of 5,000 bales of long
staple ootton, making fine long
staple yarns. The president is Judge
W. :F. Cox. The mill during last
year doubled its capitis. r" 3ck and its
The Gluok mill is capitalized at
$600,000 and runs 25,000 spindles,
turning out several grades of cotton
cloths, some of them mercerized, moat
of them 40 inch-wide goods weighing
11 yards to the pound or 36 inch
goods weighing 1Q yards to the pound.
Some of the brands are bleached and
others are converted into print cloths.
The first president of the Gluck mill
was the late Mr. B. 8. Hill and his
successor is Mr. K. Ligon.
Of the Orr mill the late Col. James
L. Orr was president and on his death
! his brother, Dr. 8. M. Orr, v?as elect
ed to suooeed him. The capital is
$800,000; it has 56,536 spindles and
1,450 looms and makes 3 to 5}-yard
sheetings for the expert trade.
The Riverside mill was at first cap
italised at $112,000, with 10.000
cpiudics, but recently the capital was
inoreased to $225,000 and the number
of spindles and espaoity doubled. It
makes 20's to 30's yarns and warps.
The president is Mr. D. P. Me
The Townoend mill has a capital of
$50,00 and runs 5,000 spindles, turn
ing out twine, carpet warps, cones and
tubes. The mill is the personal prop
erty of Mr. H. O. Townsend.
The Toxaway mill is just across the
Blue .Ridge Hail way from the River
fide mill and Mr. MoBrayer is also
president of this mill. The capital is
$200,000 and the number of spindles j
is 12,000, making fine print cloths.
Outside of Anderson oity, but
within Anderson County, are a num
ber of mills, some of them large ones.
Bellon?Capital, $700,000; spindles
152,000; produot, sheetings and twills;
president B. A: Smyth.
1 Hone* Path?Capital, $400,000;
spindles, 40,000; produot, broad print
cloth; pr?sident, J. D. Hanmett.
Pelzer?Capital, $1.000,000: spin
il?s ;. 130,000; product, sheetings,
shirtings and drills for the export
trade; president,-E. A. Smyth.
Pcndleton?Oapital, $65,000; spin
dles, 3,120; product, carpet yarns and
special ti-j; president, Mr. A. JvvBit
Piedmont?Capital, $800,000; spin- j
dies, *5&,500; product, 3 %o -4 y??dj
sheetings and drills, president, Mr.
W. K. Beattie, succeeding recently
the late Col. Jas. L. Orr.
spindles, 20,000; product, line sheet
ings, president, Jas. 1'. Gossett.
All the abovo figures are taken
from a pamphlet printed by the
Chamber of Commerce and revised to
date by tho secretary, Mr. A. M.
Carpenter, and it is believed they are
Many of tho visiting bankers went
out to 8co the Brogon mill and so sur
prised and delighted were they with
what they saw that a few words
about this establishment will bo of
interest to the general reader.
Tho mill is built for the manufac
ture of colored napped fabrics and
I dress goods. Some of the looms carry
! a6 high as 12 color/, and "the Ander
son flannels" are becomiog celebrated
gn the market. The market docs not
afford a prettier "outing cloth" than
this mill makes. But not only in its
product is the mill notable. Its
equipment is of the latest and the mill
is kept in the best of condition.
Built in 1903, it is as clean as a new
Ths motive power consists of a pair
of Allis-Chalmers cross compound
oondensing engines, 30x0-1x00, cap
able of producing 3,000 horsepower.
Two batteries of 72zl8 inch horizontal
tubular boilers; seven boilers in each
The dynamos to furnish the electric
lights for the plant are located in the
engine room, together with an auxil
iary engine for pilot lights and mo
tive power for repair purposes.
The picker building is 170 feet long,
7G feet wide and two stories high,
and is arranged for 10 complete sets
of Kitson picking machinery, together
with a complete waste picking depart
The carding room is located on the
first floor of the main building, and is
most complete in equipment and ar
rangement, being arranged for 1S0x45 ;
inoh Whitin revolving flat top cards; j
28S deliveries of Whitin drawing; 28
Woonsocket slubbers; 40 Woonsocket
intermediate fly frames, and 80 Wood- ,
socket fine fly frames.
The spinning, spooling, warping
and slashing occupy the floor above
the card room, which is well adapted
for the purpose, having' a monitor
roof extending the entire iength of
this room, which is 564 feet long and
130 feet wide and is arranged for 50,
000 Whitin spindles, 12 Whitin spool
ers, 32 Draper warpers, 10 Cohoes
slashers, all driven from below, which
with the other necessary applianoes
for a colored mill, makes a most com
The spinning and weaving are on
the same level, being separated by a
fire wall, and this weave shed is
worthy of special mention, and it is
the latest development in sawtooth
mill construction, and gives an ideal
light for the purpose wanted. This
room is 460 feet long by 205 feet
wide, and arranged for 1,728 looms,
nearly equally divided between Dra
per and Crompton and Knowies. All
of the machinery on this floor is
driven from below.
The first floor of the weave shed is
occupied by the repair shops, dye
house, napping and finishing depart
. The dye house is a model in itself,
and shows what can be done in this
department, both as to location and
economy. A visitor would be sur
prised at the absence of steam and
moisture, as the arrangement for ex
hausting the steam and carrying away.
the waste water is very complete.
The dye house and picker building
are equipped with an elaborate blow
ing system, .the cotton being blown
Iinder ground from the picker build
ing to the dye house, dyed and re
turned in the same manner. This de
partment has a oapacity of 20,000
pounds daily. The finishing depart
ment is a new departure for Anderson
in shearing, calendaring, napping,
tentering, machinery, etc.
The officers of the company are: J.
A. Brook, president; Hobt. ?. Ligon,
viee-president and treasurer; O. J.
Brock, seoretary and assistant treas
urer; R. L. Camnock, superintendent.
The board of -Mrectorc is as follows:
J. A. Brook, itobt. ?. Ligon, Fred
G. Brown, J. E. Barton, O. S. Sulli
van, B. Q. Ligon, Geo. W. Evans, all
of Anderson; G. M. Whitin of Whit
ins vi lie, Mass., and Andrew D. Joner
of Baltimore, Md.
The cotton mill story of Anderson
is something that can bo written of
other towns in South Carolina in
differing degrees but there is one in
dustry that has been developed here
to sn extent not equalled in any other
geotion. Those who read the reports '
? ^ ^ fl , 11
HOW 6EB5? Mi
Peoph with Weak Siornaohs Ii
Nearly all disease germs that find
lod?s*at in the system gain entrance
with the air we breathe, or through
our food and drink.
If the etomaoh and digestive ograns
be weak, so that food does not readily
digest, thev will contain a sour, slimy
fermenting mass, an ideal spot for
the disease'germs to g?'?w and spread
through the whole system.
If you suffer with headache, back
of tho Bankers' convention saw that
tho chairman of tho entertainment
committee was Fred G. Brown, who
is known far and wide as a genial
fellow. But he is also a shrewd busi
ness man, a developer of no mean
ability. The Anderson Phosphate
and Oil company is an enterprise
which owes its success to his manage
ment, Mr. Brown being tho president.
Very little can bo /vrittcu about this
enterprise for lack of available ligures,
but it is sufficient to say that the
company owns a chain of cotton seed
oil mills iu this section which havo
been phenomenally successful and
which are outside the trust. Last
year tho company paid out in divi
dends $8^,000. The mills owned and
operated are: Tho Farmers' Oil mill
and tho FSxcelsior mill, both at An
derson; who Bolton, Fendleton, Wil
liamston and Honea Path mills and
the Moneyniok mill at Pel/.er, all iu
this county; the mills at Seneca,
Piedmont and McCormick. Besides
these thero are several independent
oil mills in the county. Then there
are roller mills and many of the most
Themuc! dpal growth of Anderson is
a topic to which a whole chapter could
profitably be devoted. Here the work
of civio improvement, which has taken
such hold all over tho State, has
shown its best fruits in the exceed
ingly tasteful adornment of tho Court
House Square; a work which won the
prize offered by Tho Ladies' Home
Journal of Philadelphia last year.
The square has not only been beauti
I fied with flowers and trees, but the
streets on the square are laid with
brick and mudholes aro no moro. Tho
work of street improvement is being
pushed all over tho oity and now ?hat
the town has waterworks, sewerage
and a street railway this^street work
oan be carried to completion.
The street railway was built within
the last year and there are five and
one-half miles of track in use. Tho
company is the Anderson Traction
company, which is controlled locally,
and the venture is paying, the stock
being quoted at above par.
How rapidly Anderson is growing
and what it means to its citizens is
well illustrated by a faot which is
related by a gentleman who knows
whereof he speaks. Less than seven
years any a young business man of tho
town, who was then a clerk in a cloth
ing store, bought for $550 six and
one-half acres of land in the edge of
town, about three-quarters of one
j mile from the Court House. Now he
is selling from this tract half-acre
lots for $300 each. In other words,
he is now getting $1,600 an acre for
land that cost him less than $85 per
acre; that is to say, h? is getting hi
I money back 20 fold after six years.
! There need be no wonder that the
olerk of seven years ago is now a full
partner in a paying business of his
own with $8,000 investment in stook
I of Anderson ootton mills. He is a
sample of what Young Anderson is
This has become a lengthy story
but the whole has not been told.
White Man Sits Down To Walk.
The Western Indians, although not
fond of work, do not approve of indo
lent white men. Tho "heap good white
man," in their estimation, is the white
man who works hard; and to sit by
and watch him as he toils seems to
afford them never-failing pleasure.
Some young "warriors" of theBlaok
foot tribe sat in the shade one day,
watching a group of laborers who
were constructing a grade for a branch
railroad in Montana. They were com
menting upon the workmen and their
work, when a bioyolist, the first that
they had ever seen, oame riding along
the newly completed grado. He had
got off the train at tho last station,
and was going to the for? "a little far
The Indians watched che wheelman
without a word until he passed beyond
a knoll, whioh hid him from view.
Then they expressed their sentiments
"No good white man 1" one remark
"No," answered another, with great
soorn; "heap lazy white man?sits
down to walkt" ,
?i- ' igr ,a\>\ ,?
? How unhappy the lot of a board*
iog house landlady. Strawberries no
sooner get cheap than the boarders be
gin to kick for peaches and water
? True politeness requires more at
tention to the feelings of others than
to mere forms.
? About the only reason a woman
has for marrying a man is?because.
?s>*. .>jt!'j>* *
( a CsBttssal State of Donner.
' sehe, variable appetite, nausea, gnaw
ing at the pit of the stomach, sallow
skin, heart-burn, furred tongue, sleep
lessness, and general debility, it shows
that the stomach has been overworked
and weakened. A fifty cent box of
Mi-o-tfk tablets will give quick and
Ask Evans Pharmacy, one of the
most reliable drug firms in Anderson,
to show you the strong guarantee
under which they asll Mi-o ca.
i ! i
when you have lost MT
on tho affaira of lifo and your business wins dull
and your WITS an> dull?take from :\ to 5 Hv
dale's Liver Tablets, one at a tun?', au liour apart
and you will bo aurprised tln> next morning to'aei
how bright and clear everything will be. You will
begin your day's work with *?> niueh added vim ami
vigor that you will naturally Increase ymir bunluewt
Kuccoflsby the weight of personality you will beablo
to infill in'o every detail. The formula of itydulc'ri
Liver Tablets Is one of the most effective combinations
knoun to modern medical acience,
(j_ >',,l,r '.ht r in k<*h1 working order,and nine-teutl
till you ?f\ in ihiM condition, l>ut take Itydnlu'H Liver Tablet ? tii-ilrst
time you r?H?l ilull and dUtuclined to grapple \\ itli tho routine duties
of lifi>. By taking a Ktit<-li (tablet)ln time you'll Rave both worry nnd
tabteUand avoid ill health. Kydale's Liver Tablet** are enny t otakc
pleos.ua in effect, always satisfactory in results. 60 cuooolate-coateA
Tablet* lu a cou veulent box, cents.
M'f'd by tho RADICAL REMEDY CO., Hickory, N. C.x
FOR SALE BY EVANS PHARMACY.
Wanted to Buy,
Good, Flat Land, in good state *
of cultivation and well im
Wanted to Sell.
132 acres, Hall Township?40 acres in bottom lantls that will yiel'l 1000
bushels corn. Fair improvement.
118 acres, Savannah Township, known as Evergreen place. Well im?
proved, good orchard.
84 acres, Hopewell Township. Teuaut house, barn, ifec. 45 acres S?
cultivation, balance woods and old fields.
152 acres, Rock Mills Township. Price 81200.
06J acres, Broadway Township. Well improved. Price 82"\0O
87} acres, Varennes Township? improved.
200 acres, Fork Township.
JOS. J. FBETWEIX*
ANI5BI?80N, ?. C?
._ . - ? B"
THE SOUTH'S GREATEST SYSTEM1
Unexcelled Dining Car Service.
Through Pullman Sleeping Cars on alllTrains._
ConvenientlSchedules on all Local?Trains.
. WINTER TOURIST RATES are now in^eflect to all Ftorida^ Point?
For full information as to rates, routes, etc.^consult^ncarest Southern
Railway Ticket Agent, or
R. W. HUNT, Division Passenger Agenl, Charleston, S. C.
QU, Big ipt M
This Establishment has been Selling:
IN ANDERSON for more than forty years. Daring all that time competitors
have come and gone, bat we have remained right hero. We have always soJ4
Cheaper than any others, and during those long years wo have not had one dis
satisfied customer* Mistakes will sometimes ooour, and if 'at any time wo
found that a customer was dissatisfied we did not rest until we had made him
satisfied. This polioy, rigidly adhered to, has made us friends, true and last
ing, and we oan say with pride, but without boasting, that we have the coufi
denoe of the people of this seotion. We have a larger Stock of Goods ihm
season than we have ever had, and we pledge you our word that we have never
sold Furniture at as olose a margin of profit as we are doing now. This te
Eroven by the faot that we aro selling Furniture not only all over Anderson
'ouoty but in every Town in the Piedmont seotion. Come and see us. Your
parents saved money by buying from us, and you and your ohildren can save
money by buying here too. We carry EVERYTHING in the Furniture line,
G. F. TOLLY &:80N, Depot Street
WE have moved our Shop and office below Peoples' Bank, in front \>i
Mr. J. J. FretwelTs Stables. We respectfully ask all our friends that need
cny Roofing done, or any kind of Repair work, Engine.Stacks, Evaporators,
or any kind of Tin or Gravel Roofing to call en ns. sa we are prepared to do
it" promptly and in best mauner.B?olicitingN'our patronage, we are,
_ ... * Respectfully,! BURRISS A DIVVER.