About The Globe-republican. (Dodge City, Kan.) 1889-1910
Dodge City, Kan. (1889-1910)
- The Globe-republican. : (Dodge City, Kan.) 1889-1910
- Alternative Titles:
- Globe republican
- Place of publication:
- Dodge City, Kan.
- Geographic coverage:
- Globe-Republican Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 12, no. 52 (Oct. 23, 1889)-v. 34, no. 9 (Nov. 24, 1910).
- Dodge City (Kan.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Has occasional supplements.
- Publisher varies.
- sn 84029853
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Globe-Republican was published weekly in Dodge City from October 23, 1889 until November 24, 1910. Always an eight-page, six-column paper, subscribers received the Globe-Republican every Wednesday until August 1895 when it switched to a Thursday publishing schedule. Founder Daniel M. Frost, stated that the paper was “devoted to chronicling the activities of the cattle ranges and deploring the gambling rackets and the saloon murders of the frontier town.” Far from being prudish, Frost opposed Prohibition and “championed the Republican wet cause.” By 1893, the Globe-Republican was the “Official Paper of the County” and boasted “a circulation more than twice as large as any other newspaper in the county.” By 1910, over 900 copies were circulating in a city of 2,600 and a county of 7,600 inhabitants.
The history of the Globe-Republican can be traced to Christmas Day, 1877, when attorneys Daniel M. Frost and William N. Morphy founded the Ford County Globe. The paper went through several title and personnel changes before becoming the Globe-Republican in 1889. In July 1891, Walter C. Shinn, who had established the Dodge City Times in 1876, returned to Dodge City to become assistant editor for the Globe-Republican. Frost delivered his valediction in the January 14, 1892 issue, followed by Shinn’s relinquishment of editorial duties on February 1, 1895. Nicholas B. Klaine, Frost’s former editorial rival at the Dodge City Times, took over sole charge of the newspaper on June 21, 1895, stating that the Globe-Republican “will be a clean newspaper of which no one will be ashamed, and its columns will be free of abuse and scurrility.” Klaine sold the newspaper and printing plant to William E. Davis and Frank W. Tyler on June 15, 1902. In their salutatory editorial address, the new owners proclaimed to “strive at all times to be fair and courteous to the home people who are [of] different political faith, but will be persistent and steadfast in standing for its own [Republican] convictions.”
After the November 24, 1910 issue, the name officially changed to the Dodge City Globe, commonly referred to as just the Globe, which remained in publication until 1918. Editor Jess C. Denious cited the reason for the name change the complaints from patrons that “it was too much trouble to write Globe-Republican when remittances were to be made to this office.” In December 1911, a daily edition was introduced called the Dodge City Daily Globe, which continues to publish to this day.
Provided by: Kansas State Historical Society; Topeka, KS