About Blue hens chicken & Delaware Democratic Whig. (Wilmington, Del.) 1845-1848
Wilmington, Del. (1845-1848)
- Blue hens chicken & Delaware Democratic Whig. : (Wilmington, Del.) 1845-1848
- Alternative Titles:
- Blue hens chicken
- Blue hens chicken and Delaware Democratic Whig
- Place of publication:
- Wilmington, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Jeandell & Vincent
- Dates of publication:
- -v. 3, no. 52 (Aug. 11, 1848).
- Began with Aug. 22, 1845 issue?
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 24 (Jan. 30, 1846).
- sn 84038110
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
Blue Hens Chicken & Delaware Democratic Whig, Blue Hen's Chicken, The Statesman & Blue Hen's Chicken and Weekly Delaware State journal, Statesman and Blue Hen's Chicken
The Blue Hen’s Chicken and Delaware Democratic Whig was first published in Wilmington in 1845 by William T. Jeandell and Francis Vincent. Jeandell had previously been a co-owner of the Delaware Republican with William S. Miles. The Blue Hen’s Chicken and Delaware Democratic Whig was a four-page newspaper published every Friday morning. It was named after Delaware’s state bird. Jeandell departed the newspaper several months later, leaving Vincent as the sole owner. In 1848, Vincent shortened the title to Blue Hen’s Chicken to reflect a shift in political affiliation.
Vincent focused his attention on making the Blue Hen’s Chicken a true community newspaper, incorporating largely local news and editorial commentary. It soon became the largest newspaper in Delaware. The Blue Hen’s Chicken published local court proceedings, reports from public organizations, as well news on local construction and manufacturing. In addition, the newspaper ventured into the political area by advocating in 1846 for the transfer of state political power from the Whigs to the Democrats and endorsing the formation of a convention to revise the Delaware state constitution in 1852.
The Blue Hen’s Chicken existed as a separate publication for nine years when it was sold to Dr. James Heyward, owner and publisher of the Statesman, who combined the two newspapers and renamed the venture the Statesman and Blue Hen’s Chicken. Heyward continued publication of the anti-slavery newspaper for approximately a year before selling to Henry Eckel in 1855. It then appeared as the Delaware State Journal and Statesman, with both semi-weekly and weekly editions. From May 29, 1855, until June 4, 1858, the newspaper was published semi-weekly as the Delaware State Journal, Statesman, and Blue Hen’s Chicken and weekly as the Weekly Delaware State Journal, Statesman, and Blue Hen’s Chicken. Later, the titles reverted to Delaware State Journal and Statesman and Weekly Delaware State Journal and Statesman.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE