About Mower County transcript. (Lansing, Minn.) 1868-1915
Lansing, Minn. (1868-1915)
- Mower County transcript. : (Lansing, Minn.) 1868-1915
- Alternative Titles:
- Mower Co. transcript
- Place of publication:
- Lansing, Minn.
- Geographic coverage:
- Colwell Bros.
- Dates of publication:
- Began with Apr. 16, 1868 issue.
- Ceased with Vol. 48, no. 12 (May 26, 1915.)
- Austin (Minn.)--Newspapers.
- Lansing (Minn.)--Newspapers.
- Mower County (Minn.)--Newspapers.
- Available on microfilm from the Minnesota Historical Society.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 31 (Nov. 12, 1868).
- Published at Lansing, Minn., Apr.-Dec. 1868; at Austin, Minn., Dec. 1868-1915.
- sn 85025431
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Mower County transcript
The Mower County Transcript was a weekly Republican-affiliated newspaper published on Thursdays from 1868 to 1915, first in Lansing (April-December 1868) then in Austin, Minnesota (December 1868- May 1915). When it began, the Transcript was four pages with nine columns and had a circulation of 700.Â By 1887, the paper had changed to an eight-page, six- column format, and circulation had grown to 1,000. The Transcript covered news from across Mower County, including the county seat of Austin, as well as in the towns in nearby Dodge and Steele counties. It also featured stories from Iowa, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas.
Mower County lies on Minnesotaâ€™s southern border and is the home of the headwaters of the Upper Iowa River, which is a tributary of the Mississippi. A dam was built in the late 1800s, creating Lake Louise, which served the farmers of the area.Â By the 1890s, agriculture was the primary industry of Mower County, with wheat and hog farming being the most common. Agricultural news and tips were featured in every issue of the Transcript, with â€œFarmer Benâ€™sâ€� column appearing on the front page each week. In 1891, the meat packing and processing firm of Geo. A. Hormel & Co. was founded in Austin. Advertisements listing low prices on beef products and classifieds soliciting farmersâ€™ pigs for processing started appearing in the Transcript in the late 1890s. By 1918, Hormelâ€™s distribution was growing nationally, and the company established offices in Minneapolis, Duluth, Chicago, Dallas, and Atlanta.
Local political items also held a prominent place in the Transcript, which unabashedly favored the Republican platform and candidates. For example, the editors wrote on October 29, 1902, â€œIn national affairs the Republicans stand for protection to American industries and labor, for the control of the trusts, for prosperity. The Democratic Party is for free trade, the menace of good times, for an unsafe and speculative financial system. These are real issues. Take your choice.â€�
The Mower County Transcript had many editors and owners over the years. It was first published by the Colwell Brothers and edited by A.J. Burbank. In 1871, Avery A. Harwood purchased the paper. Harwood was elected Secretary of the Minnesota Senate the following year, as described in the January 4, 1872 issue: â€œOur editor is absent at St. Paul, which is all right. He was elected Secretary of the Senate, which served him right. He left us to manage things, which is also right.â€� Harwood maintained ownership of the Transcript until 1878, when it was bought by Charles H. Davidson and J. N. Wheeler.
The final issue of the Mower County Transcript was published May 26, 1915. It then merged with another Austin publication, the Mower County Republican, to become the Mower County Transcript-Republican.Â The former editors of the Mower County Republican, J. H. Frazier and Anna Roble, edited the new title, which was published until October 7, 1920.
Provided by: Minnesota Historical Society; Saint Paul, MN