About The Garland globe. (Garland, Utah) 1906-191?
Garland, Utah (1906-191?)
- The Garland globe. : (Garland, Utah) 1906-191?
- Place of publication:
- Garland, Utah
- Geographic coverage:
- J.A. Wixom
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Feb. 10, 1906)-
- Garland (Utah)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Supplements accompany some issues.
- sn 85058179
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Bear River Valley, which surrounds the town of Garland in northern Utah, has long attracted different groups of people. Fremont Indians inhabited the area until about 1300. Later, bands of Shoshone regularly wintered in the area. In the 1820s, fur trappers made their way into the valley, including Kit Carson, Jedediah Smith, and Jim Bridger. And in 1889, Mormon homesteaders began to put down roots in the scenic valley. They established settlements that became the towns of Bear River City, Fielding, and Plymouth, and, on the east bank of the Malad River, Garland.
The founders of Garland originally named their town Sunset, because of the stunning displays that regularly spread across the western sky in the evening. But after a major excavation project brought much needed irrigation to the Bear River Valley, the town changed its name in honor of the canal builder, William Garland of Kansas City.
The canal system helped Garland grow as settlers arrived to establish farms on newly irrigated land. The first schoolhouse was built in 1889 and a post office followed in 1895. The railroad reached Garland in 1901. With the construction of a sugar factory two years later, boom times arrived. Farmers enjoyed healthy profits growing sugar beets, which thrived in the valley’s rich soil. The Utah Sugar Company, which owned the factory, acquired 40 acres in Garland, where it built homes for its workers.
When the Garland Globe debuted in 1906, the town’s population was approaching 1,000, and Garland was home to more than two dozen businesses. The weekly newspaper introduced itself to citizens on February 10, with a six-page edition that lauded the town and its “brilliant possibilities of tomorrow.” Manager and editor, J. A. Wixom, promised to remain politically independent and “devoted to the interests of Garland and the greater Bear River Valley.”
The newspaper appeared every Saturday, and for more than two decades it thrived right along with the town it served. The Garland Globe regularly included a lively assortment of articles that covered Utah politics, national and international events, local gossip, and, of course, the sugar industry. In 1906, the paper featured a retrospective of the town’s short history, offering a glowing review of the Utah Sugar Company’s impact on the town--“a future for this valley, a boon for Garland.”
Garland’s prosperity continued into the middle of the 1920s. Then, the town’s fortunes began to decline along with farming profits, a change that presaged the Great Depression, which hit hard in Garland and much of Utah. Despite a name change to the Garland City Globe, the newspaper’s fortunes slid and in 1925 it folded.
Provided by: University of Utah, Marriott Library