Newspaper Page Text
EDITED BY THE BOYS AND GIRLS OF THE IRVING M. SCOTTSCHOOL
FRANK WEISS Editor in Chief ALICE COPUS Assistant Society Editor
MELVIN RICE Associate Editor LILLIAN JARVIS Editor Story Section
STEWART SIMPSON Associate Editor CHARLOTTE WILKJE Household Editor
LILIAN RAN KEN News Editor AGNES PETERSON. . .Assistant Household Editor
WILLIAM RAHMER Assistant News Editor EMIL SASS Editor Industrial Section
FRANK ADAMS Athletic Editor BERT CUEVAS Editor Historical Section
VIOLET O'KEEFE Society Editor HENRY KENNY Jokes Editor
CLAUDIA WRIGHT Artist
A TRIBUTE TO IRVING M. SCOTT
Ir/jng Murray Scott, ironmas
ter, mechanical engineer and ship
builder, was horn at Hebron Mills,
Baltimore county, Maryland, De
cember 25, 1857. He was the son
of John and Elizabeth Lettig
Scott and the great-great-grand
son of Abraham and Elizabeth
Dyer Scott, who came to Amer
ica from Cumberland, England, in
1722, bringing a certificate of
good standing (as was the cus
tom in the Society of Friends) in
the English Society of Friends.
Abraham Scott purchased a
tract of land known as "Old Reg
ulation" from Lord Baltimore in
1723 and there established a grist
mill, a tanyard and crossroads
store, and from these the place be
came known as "Hebron Mills,"
and there Irving Murray Scott
was born 115 years after his an
cestors came to America, and there
members of his family still reside.
He married Laura Hord, daugh
ter of John Redd and Jeanette
Dennis Hord of Kentucky, Octo
ber 7, 1863, and is survived by
two children, Alice Webb and
Laurance Irving Scott.
From Old Nick, the miller at
Hebron Milts, Mr. Scott first ac
quired a taste for and knowledge
of mechanics. He attended the
public schools and later Milton
academy, where he studied three
years under Charles Emerson
Lamb. After leaving school he
declined bis father's offer <>f a pro
fessional course and began the
study of engineering and wood
working under Obed Ilussey, the
inventor of the reaping machine.
SAN FRANCISCO, CAL., SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 23, lgtg.
Completing his course, he
worked for several years in Balti
more, supervising the construc
tion of engines and in studying
mechanical drawing and German
at the Mechanics' institute.
In 1860 Mr. Scott was engaged
as draftsman at the Union Iron
works, which then employed 22
men, and was made superintend
ent and manager in 1861 and
partner in 1863. The Union Iron
works was then known as H. J.
Booth & Co.; then as Prescott,
Scott & Co., and when, under Mr.
Scott's able management, it be
came a great iron and shipbuild
ing concern employing thousands
of men, the old name of Union
Iron works was resumed.
In 1880 e\lr. Scott made a trip
around the world to study the for
eign shipbuilding plants. On his
return he rebuilt the works and
added shipbuilding to its activi
ties in 1884. In addition to pri
vate and foreign vessels, many
ships for the United States gov
ernment were built, among them
BO VS !
DO YOU WANT TO EARN CHRISTMAS GIFTS?
The San Francisco Call Wants 100 LIVE WIRE BOYS
to work an hour each clay after school, and three hours
Saturday, and will pay them in cash or merchandise.
Make Use of Your Thanksgiving Vacation!
see MRS. BURNESS
Circulation Department, The Call, Afternoons between 3 and 5
the Oregon, Olympia, Monterey,
In 1898 Mr. Scott went to St.
Petersburg, Russia, to advise
with the Russian government on
battleship construction. Mr.
Scott was interested in mining,
banking and other fields, and to
him was largely due the develop
ment of the Clipper Gap Iron
company, one of the richest in
California. In addition, he was
the inventor of improved cut-ofT
engines and other machines, and
designed the machinery for the
famous Comstock mines.
He was president of the San
Francisco Art association and
Mechanics' institute, regent of
the University of Caifornia, trus
tee of tlie Leland Stanford Jr.
university and of the free library.
In 1880 he was made president of
the Authors' carnival. He was a
fluent writer and contributed to
magazines on many subjects. In
1869 he won the commendation of
William Seward on an address
delivered at the Mechanics' pa-
Editor tn Chief.
vilion. He was a popular speaker
at public and patriotic gatherings
and delivered orations at the un
veiling of the statues of Francis
Scott Key and Starr King.
A member of the prison board
under Governor Stoneman, he
also was appointed a member of
the staff of Governor Perkins. He
went to the world's fair in Chi
cago in 1891 as president of the
California commission, and was a
member of the freeholders to
form the charter of San Francisco
in 1895. He also was nominated
for state senator and delegate to
form the state constitution. He
was a republican presidential
elector in 1886, president of the
Commercial museum of San
Francisco in 1900 and chairman
of the committee to receive Pres
ident McKinley in 1901; he was
made a doctor of philosophy by
the Santa Clara university for dis
tinguished services to the state
and was also a member of the Pa
cific L'nion, Burlingame, Army
and Navy, University, Bohemian,
Union League and Press clubs of
San Francisco and of the Law
yers' club and the National Arts
society. New York.
Mr. Scott died at his home on
Rincon hill April 28, 1903. In pri
vate life he was the gentlest and
most loving of sons, devoted to
every member of his family, pa
tient, persistent and a tireless
worker, fond of animals and very
kind to them, fond of art, a great
reader and home lover and de
voted to little children. The thing
he most disliked and despised was
a man who drank. His days were
spent in hard work and his even
ings in reading, lie was a man
with a big and most forgiving na
ttir*. and one who held no malice
agri'.nst any one.