Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1924 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Pageland journal. volume (None) 1911-1978
- The Pageland journal. volume : (None) 1911-1978
- Geographic coverage:
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1911; ceased in 1978.
- Chesterfield County (S.C.)--Newspapers.
- Pageland (S.C.)--Newspapers.
- South Carolina--Chesterfield County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01209228
- South Carolina--Pageland.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01232287
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 4, No. 18 (January 13, 1914); title from masthead.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 68, No. 19 (December 28, 1977).
- sn 86063754
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Pageland Journal
The weekly Pageland Journal reported on events in the town of Pageland, located in Chesterfield County, South Carolina, starting in the early 20th century. Like many communities in the Pee Dee area, Pageland owed its existence to the arrival of the railroad. The town even took its name after Adolphus High Page, the president of the Lancaster and Chester Railroad. In 1908, 157 persons lived in Pageland; a year later, the population had increased to 800 inhabitants. By 1913, Pageland boasted a drug store, hotel, and industries including the Pageland Buggy and Wagon Company, Pageland Coco-Cola Bottling Works, and a building supplies maker, the Pageland Manufacturing Company. In later years, it adopted the superlative "watermelon capital of the world."
The Pageland Journal began in December 1911, but its origins extended back to the Pageland News and Scout, established that same year by James Parvin Tucker. Sadly, no issues of the News and Scout are known to exist in hard copy or on microfilm. In 1912, James Tucker's brother, Carl Millon Tucker, took over the Pageland Journal. Under Carl Tucker's management, the Journal reached between one and two thousand subscribers. Sometime around1916, the newspaper's office suffered damage from a fire but persevered by using the printing presses of the Monroe (North Carolina) Journal. In 1920, the Reverend Robert Stevens Latimer took over as owner. As Lillian Werts Latimer, Robert Latimer's wife, explained, "We swapped a Dodge automobile as the main consideration for the paper." Column headings included "Musings" and "Moral issues"; Lillian Latimer covered the local affairs column.
In 1928, Samuel and Lillian Latimer sold the Pageland Journal to Brutus and Gerald Sanders. In 1978, the Journal was merged with the Chesterfield Advertiser and became the Chesterfield Advertiser-Journal. The union proved short-lived, however, and in October 1980, the Pageland Journal had resumed publication under its previous name. In 1981, the Pageland Journal was merged with the Pageland Progressive to create the Pageland Progressive-Journal, which still continues into the present day.
Provided by: University of South Carolina; Columbia, SC