Newspaper Page Text
Kentucky Irish American.
VOLUME I. NO. 22.
LOUISVILLE: SATURDAY) DECEMBER 3,
PRICE FIVE' CENTS.
Celebrated the Twenty-Fifth
Anniversary of St. Cecilia's
From Thirty Families the Con
gregation lias Grown to
One of the Most Progressive and
Prosperous Parishes in
ALSO THE HOME OF MACKIN COUNCIL
The twenty-fifth anniversary of St. Ce
cilia's church and the feast of St. Ceci
lia were celebrated at St. Cecilia's church
on last Sunday with solemn high mass,
at 10 o'clock. The Rev. Father Deppen
was celebrant, Father Bachmann deacon
and Father Crane sub-deacon. Father
Brady, the rector, was master of ceremo
nies. At 7:30 in the evening solemn ves
pers was sung by the Rev. Father Miller,
assisted by Fathers Bachmann and Bona
venture. Father Deppen preached the
sermon at mass on the church of St.
Cecilia, and in the evening delivered a
lecture on the feast of the saint of that
The choir was under the direction of
Miss Agnes Richter, and she was assisted
by Misses Henrietta Bauer, Paula Rosen
Margaret Everin and May Zinninger as
sopranos; Misses Theresa Rosen, Con
stance Richter, Cecilia Recktenwald and
Mrs. D. Schiller, contraltos; Messrs. A.
Emmcttsberger, J. Gottbrath, II. Gau
cher, tenots; Messrs. George Recktenwald
and Wni. Lawler, bassos; Misses Henrietta
Bauer, Paula Rosen, Theresa Rosen.
Messrs. II. Enmiettsberger and George
Recktenwald, soloists. They rendered
music of a high order.
St. Cecilia's church was erected during
the years of '73-74. Ground was broken
in September, 1873, and the comer stone
laid in November of the same year. The
first mass was celebrated in the fall of
74. The church was built on what was
then known as Slevin's park, east of the
old Salt river road, now Twenty-sixth
street, nearly opposite St. John's ceme
tery. The ground on which it stands was
time oflered it to the city to be used as a
park, but as it was at that time sur
rounded by ponds the city didn't accept
of it. A few years later the ground was
given to the Right Rev. Bishop of this
diocese, who had the church erected for
the Carmelite Fathers, with the intention
of converting it into a college.
At the time the church was built there
vere about thirty families living in the
parish, while at the present time nearly
800 reside there. Of the original fami
lies the following are still living and
are members of the parish: Pat Bannon,
Dan Quill, Conrad Wentzell, John Ker
berg, Michael King, Peter Tevelin, Thos.
Nohelly, John Richardson, W. II. Boyce,
C. Schreiber, D. Pempsey, Tim Harring
ton and C. W. Smith. The first director
of the choir was Mrs. Hannah Smith, the
first organist Miss Harris,
From 1873 to 1875 the church was un
der the direction of the Carmelite fath
ers, the first pastor being Father Feehan.
His lodging-room was over the office in
the church. It was not until 1877, when
Father Rock was sent as rector, that
they had a pastor's residence. The par
ish was so scattered during Father "Rock's
time that he rode horseback in making
his parish calls. Ho owned a fine black
horse that he called Pat, but the boys of
the parish went him one better and
called him "Pattie Rock."
In 1879 the Passiouist fathers took
charge, with Father Aloysius as rector,
Father Ryau succeeded Father Aloysius
and Father WcIIenry succeeded Father
Ryan. In 1883 the secular fathers took
charge. Father McConnell was the first
to be rector. He was succeeded by the
late Father Mackin, whose death in
1893 is still fresh in the memory of the
parishioners. The present rector, Father
Brady, has been in charge since 1893
There have been 1 ,C25 baptisms, about
200 marriages and 2G0 deaths registered
since the establishment of the parish,
The first person to be baptised was Cath
erine Pearl Parsons, daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Joseph Parsons. The first marriage
to be solemnized was between Mary Kil
leen and William McCue.
The Sisters of Charity started school
in the rooms under the church in 1877,
which they still continue. When the
church was built there were no streets
made north of Main nor west of Nine'
teeth. When attending uigut services
the parishioners carried lanterns. Old
residents well remember when two boys
playing truant from school were drowned
in a pond in the vicinity of the church.
At present the church la surrounded by
streets and line residences, an in iweniy
St. Cecilia's is the home of that popu
iar Catholic society known as Mackin
Council, which, like the church, has
grown from forty members, who organ
ized it 1n 1892 under Father Mackin, to
about 300, its present membership.
A number of improvements have been
made in recent years, notably a fine
pastoral residence and a new steel belfry.
The old belfry, which was erected at the
time the church was built, was a wooden
one, and many a hard thump the wnter
has bad against its sides when ringing the
old bell, 'flic parishioners will have the
church free from debt in a few years, and
then they expect to erect a new edifice,
as the one at present is not suited for the
ever-increastng congregation. V. B. S.
NOW TO BE SOLD,
Catholic Orphan Asylum, the
Finest Residence Block in
It can be said of few plots of laud on
Manhattan Island that they have been
used for one purpose only ever since it
was settled by white people. But this Is
true of the Roman Catholic Orphan
Asylum, which extends from Fifth to
Park avenue and from Fifty-first to
When the Dutch controlled the lower
end of the island no one paid any
attention to the lands lyinc as far
north as Fiftieth street. It was left to
Indians, to wolves, to bears, to panthers.
It was good hunting ground.
In those days real estate speculation
was an unknown thing. There was a
deal more laud than any one wanted.
A man with 3,000 was looked upon as
richer than a man witli 000 is now.
When the English took possession of
Manhattan and the Duke of York be
came the lord, he claimed possession of
all unoccupied land on the island, and
in this was included the site of the Ro
man Catholic Orphan Asylum and St.
Patrick's Cathedral, together with nearly
all the territory in that vicinity.
When the Revolution ended the city
of New York succeeded to the owner
ship of all lands which the Duke of
York had not disposeed of, and these
were known as they are to this day, as
the common land of the citv. Robert
Lyburn bought the present site of St.
Patrick's, but the site of the Roman
Catholic Orphan Asylum was never sold
by the city. The city later leased the
property to the church authorities. At
that time it was nothing but a great mass
of forbidding rocks.
When the asylum was built great
jagged rocks had to be blasted away
and a high hill cut down, and the big
structure and the smooth turf succeeded
them. But a part of the playground is
artificial stone that is as smooth as the
primeval rocks were rough.
William II. Vauderliilt always resented
the presence of the orpnsm asylum. So
did other rich men having houses in the
vicinity. Time and time again Mr. Van-
derbilt tried to buy the orphan asylum.
He offered sums which the church author
ities frankly admitted were more than
thepropertv was .worth. .. , ,.
But they would not sell. . They held
that there were many advantages iu
having the asylum next the church.
The Roman Catholic Orphan Asy'uni is
the only institution of the kind in the
city which does not receive the per
capita of 8 a month from the municipal
bout three years ago Archbishop
Corrigan decided that the time had come
when it would be wise to think of re
moving the asylum to the upper part
of the city, where there was more room.
The welfare of chjldren is always associ
ated with the country. Of course, if the
asylum were removed the old property
would be sold.
And then the question of title arose.
There was no doubt that the asylum
could retain the ground to the end of
time, but it did not hold the land in fee
simple. It could not give a purchaser a
clear title, so that it was practically
worthless as an asset.
The church authorities went to the
Board of Aldermen with an ordinance
which was passed upon by the corpora'
tion counsel, and which was practically a
deed of sale, transferring the property
outright to the asylum for 1. The ordi
nance passed and was signed by Mayor
Able lawyers said that this gave a per
fectly clear and legal title. But the
church authorities wanted no possible
question. A bill was sent to the Legisla
turein 1890, so framed that it gave the
asylum power to dispose of the property
as it saw fit, and made the title absolutely
valid. This became a law.
isow me property can De sold witli a
clear title, and therefore can command
its normal value. How much this is is
a matter of opinion. There are thirty'
four lots m one block and thirty-two
in the other. It has been said that the
property is worth 3,500,000, but experts
say that this is a low estimate, and that
it will bring nearer 5,000,000. The Fifth
auenue block is the most valuable resi
dence property in New York.
The C. K. of A. held their meeting at
St. John's Hall, Clay and Mam streets,
Monday evening, and important business
was transacted. Owing to the inclem
ency of the weather there was not as
large attendance as was expected. Mr,
H. Veeneman, State Vice President, was
in the chair, with Mr. J. McGuire, of
Branch 24, acting as Secretary. The next
meeting will take place on Sunday even
ing, December 11, and the business to be
transacted will be in relation to the
national convention to be held in this
city in 1900. With the officers mentioned
above are associated Mr. F. P. Baron, of
Branch 25, as Treasurer, and Messrs,
William .Meemm and u. l'eidiiaus aa
Trustees. Very Rev. Father Bax, Spir
itual Director, was also present. It is
the wish of the officers that all members
and representatives of the different
branches be present at the next meeting.
The officers of the various branches are
earnestly urged to be present at the
nes8 0 importance to the whole order in
this city will be up for consideration.
Rapid Growth of the Organiza
tion in Every Part of the
Men "Who Have Been Estranged
For Years Joining in the
Everywhere There Arc Signs of
Nationalist Activity and
DISUNION WILL BE SWEPT AWAY
Branches of the United Irish League
are now being formed with extraordi
nary rapidity in every part of the West.
Within the past week the County of Gal
way has been taking action in all direc
tions, says the Dublin Weekly Freeman:
In Gal way borough a provisional com
mittee, composed of the most influential
men of both sections, has been formed
under the Presidency of Very Rev. Canon
Dooley, and a monster meeting was held
on Sunday, at which Mr. Harrington,
M. P.j Mr. John Fitzgibbon, of Castle
rea, and Mr. William O'Brien attended.
Steps have also been taken to start a
branch at Oughterard, where Rev. Father
McDouagh and Mr. John Joyce, an influ
ential Parnellite leader, have expressed
their sympathy. In Leenaue a branch
was established at an enthusiastic meet
ing under the Presidency of Father Wal-
In Ballygar there was a remarkable
demonstration, attended by Mr. John
Roche, M. P., and Mr. James Lynam, his
Parnellite opponent for East Galway at
the general election. A powerful branch
of the United Irish League was formed.
In Monivea a branch was established
on Sunday, and prepartions were made
for a monster demonstration at Abbey
knockmoy on the first Sunday in Decem
ber. In the neighborhood of Loughrea
also men who have been estranged for
years are joining heartily iu the prepa
rations for a great public meeting at Car
rabane, a few miles from Loughrea, on
the last Sunday in November. Every
where there are signs of activity, and of
as cordial co-operation as ever among
In Roscommon Mr. John Fitzgibbon is
exerting himself for the extension of the
league. The Castlerea branch was for
mally constituted on Sunday; the Tulsk
branch is also in full working order, and
the League is extending in all directions
around Elphiu, where the excitement
caused by the taking of Miss Conroy's
evicted farm by a policeman continues
County Sligo has taken to the move
ment with characteristic energyand unau-
minity. On Sunday there were two great
public demonstrationsiu opposite parts of
the country. That at Cliffoney, on the
borders of Leitrim, was addressed by
Messrs. P. A. McIIugh, M. P.; Henry
Brennau, M. Milmoe, J. J. Keenan and
others. At Ballisodare an immense
gathering was addressed by Messrs. John
O'Dowd, JJ. McLaughlin, J. Gihnartin
and others. In Dremore West, where
the people are mostly rarnellite, a
monster meeting was held on Sunday,
November 20, and was attended by Mr.
McHugh, M. P.; Mr. Collery, M. P., and
Mr. Milmoe, whose speeches declaring
that Parnell's followers ought to be the
first to couie forward and cement union
by starting branches of the United Irish
League, created a profound impression
among the Parnellites of Tireragh.
Preparations are also in progress for a
great public meeting at Bunniuadden,
and for the establishment of branches in
the parishes of Grange and Knockarea.
In Mayo the organization has now cov
ered almost every parish in West, North,
and South Mayo. Within the past two
weeks Messrs. Conor O'Kelly and John
O'Donuell have held a series of meetings
for the establishment of branches at
Mayo Abbey, Balla, Ballindiue, Logboy,
Aughamore and other districts of South
Mayo, and have met with the warmest
encouragement from the clergy and from
both sections of Nationalists. Iu each
case six delegates were elected from the
parochial branch to the South Mayo Ex
ecutive, the first meeting of which had
been fixed for Claremorris for the elec
tion of officers. This will be the third
Divisional Executive placed in full work
ing order. On Sunday there was a mon
ster meeting at Cong .attended by int'
mense contingents from Galway and
Mayo, with bands and banners. In
East Mayo a branch of the United Irish
League was formed on Sunday at Kil
more under the Presidency of the Rev,
Father McDonnell, and a branch is also
in course of formation at Bohola. There
are increasing signs of the extension of
the movement to the South.
In West Clare vigorous branches have
just been formed iu Killmer and Kilbally
owen, and the parent branch at Doonbeg
has had another victory, which puts an
end to the last case of landgrabbing in
that parish. Arrangements are in progress
for the formation of the West Clare Ex
ecutive, and a great public demonstration
will be held on the occasion. In West
Limerick the people of Askeaton have
just formed a b-anch, and forwarded an
affiliation fee of $10 through Mr. John
In North Kerry a number of branches
have been established, and it is contem-
plated to hold a .monster meeting in n
few weeks nt Ballylongford, where, as
elsewhere, Nationalists of both wings are
acting iu cordial co-operation.
The first branch o(K the United Irish
League in Tipperary has been formed at
Bansha. The movement is also extend
ing to Donegal, where arrangements are
being made for an inaugural demonstra
stration at BaHyshannbtt.
Demand that Bajfour and Cado
gnn Be Re mi tred to Act
with Justice to AH.
The Government isvery much mibtak-
if it imagines that the Catholics of
Ireland are going to fallow their demand
for equal treatment in the matter of uni
versity education to become rusty. Irish
Catholics, on the contrary, are determined
to keep their demandisteadily and persist
ently before the eyesof the country. Mr.
Balfour and Lord Cadogan have admitted
its justice; why, then, delay the settle
ment of a question on which the hearts
of the Catholics of Ireland are set? asked
the Dublin Herald irt a late issue. Mr.
Balfour can not plead that any difficulties
are being thrown in his way. He laid
down at one time certain conditions be
fore he could approach the consideration
on the subject. These conditions liave
been accepted by the trish Bishops. Why,
therefore, does Mr. Halfour dallyf Is it
afraid of the Orangemen he is? Lord
Russell, of Killowen, in a memorable
speech at a banquet in Dublin some time
ago voiced the sentiments of Irish Catho-
i; . i . ;j i . it .1 ! .1 .. , .
lies wiien lie saiu mui nicy uiu iiui wuui
'glorified ecclesiastical seminary" for
a university. Should not that statement
satisfy Mr. Balfour' and the members
of the Government? The fact is that the
Catholic case is unanswerable; statesmen
admit its justice andjreasonableuess, but,
unaccountaoiy, tuey nave aaopieu a
policy of procrastination. We may tell
them that delays are very dangerous.
Thev want also to delav on the ouestion
of the financial relations between Eng
land and Ireland; but even supporters of
their own are becoming sick and weary
of this policy of putting things on the
long finger. That this is so may be
gathered from a remarkable address de
livered by a Unionist Peer, Lord Emly,
when speaking at the inaugural meeting
of the Limerick Catholic Institute. Here
is a quotation froni this very important
I say it advisedly1; were tomorrow an
other Hoche to anchor his fleet off Bere
island he would be" .welcomed as even
Hoche himself w'ouldyiot have been wel
comed. lIcftvoftetfTOve we not held out'
the olive branch to England? How often
have we gone down on our knees and
begged of her to remember that a nation
high-spirited, sensitive and intelligent
will not and should not be kept in lead
ing strings? that the days are past and
gone when our people might be pushed
back at the point of the bayonet into the
Irish town, and the Irish town was grown
too narrow for us? That bitterest of all
bitter thoughts is the thought of what
might have been as England sowed the
storm so would she reap the whirlwind.
The hour was fast approaching, was even
at hand; the people she had scourged
would scourge her."
English statesmen would do well to
ponder on this address and also on the
remarkable letter of Lord Castletown on
the financial relations question, in which
he referred to the "Unite-or-Die" motto
of the Volunteers.
KNIGHTS AND LADIES,
They Entertain Their Friends
at a Pleasing Euchre
On Friday evening, November 25,
Branch 10, Catholic Knights and Ladies
of America, entertained its friends with a
progressive euchre and social at its hall,
in Clifton. Game was called at 8:30, ten
games being played, and the prizes were
won by the following: Ladies' first prize,
beautiful hand-paiuted pin-cushion, by
Mrs. William V. Brady; second prize,
bisque ornament, by Mrs. Walker. The
gentlemen's prizes, an elegant silk um
brella and a handsome tie, were won
respectively by Rev. Father Walsh and
Mr. J. J. Barrett. The programme was
Address Rev. Edward J. Hart.
Song Rev. Father Walsh.
Address Good of the Order Mr. T,
Piano solo Miss Nellie Hannan.
Recitation Mr. Dittoe.
Piano solo Mrs. William V. Brady.
Recitation Rev. Edward J. Hart.
Piano solo Miss Mamie Reiner.
Closing address Rev. Thos. W. White,
After the entertainment refreshments
were served, and every one present spent
a most enjoyable evening and expressed
the wish that Branch No. 10 would soon
Too much praise can not be given the
committee who had the entertainment in
charge, which was composed of Rev,
Father White, Messrs. Owen Keiran and
William Kelly, Mrs. Sarah Golden and
Miss Mamie Hannan,
The. Palace of Sweets has one of the
finest as well as largest stocks of holiday
goods to be found in the city. A specialty
is made of box-candy, and as Mr. Murphy
manufactures his own goods and enjoys
a large wholesale trade, freshness is al
ways assured. Last week he supplied
nearly the whole trade of Southern In
diana, and expects to fill large orders in
Indianapolis, His store and factory are
located at 120 West Market street, be
tween First and Second,
Ilonlli iti' tint. TluniifiM If. Slnr-
iey Cnsts Gloom Over Our
One of Louisviil's Most Progres
sive and Puhlie Spirited
"VVasthe Benefactor and Friend
of Many Struggling Boys
HIS GREAT CHARITY WILL BE MISSED
No death announcement of the past
year was received with more genuine sor
row than that of Mr. Thomas H. Sherley,
who died suddenly Tuesday morning of
paralysis of the heart, at his residence,
207 West Breckinridge street. He had
been suffering from a cold and had been
confined to his home for several days.
He was much improved Monday night,
however, and entertained several friends
who called until a late hour. He was
advised by his physician that he could
go to his office Tuesday morning.
Death came suddenly. Mr. Sherley
was surrounded by the members of his
family, and was sitting in his armchair
when the end came.
The announcement of Mr. Sherley's
death was a shock to the community. No
man m Louisville was better known than
he, and no man had devoted more of his
time and attention to the city's interests.
Sorrowing friends from all walks of life
called at the residence previous to the
funeral to pay their respects to the be
Mr. Sherley's death is a loss to Louis
ville. For years he was identified with
every movement iu behalf of the city aud
State. He was a man of wonderful en
terprise and industry and discharged the
many duties of trust imposed in him with
credit to himself and the office. His
sound judgment was always sought. In
his own business he was an acknowledged
leader, and in many other capacities he
showed the possession of an executive
ability which always singled him out as
an important factor iu big undertakings.
No man was more charitable or more
quiet about his good deeds than Mr.
Sherley. He was-generous to a-fault4
when any one appeared to be m need.
Some years ago Mr. T. J. Batman, who
was in more confidential relations with
the senior member of the firm than per
haps any other person outside of Mr.
Sherley's family, opened up a charity
account without Mr. Sherley's knowl
edge. He was able to keep a record only
of that money which he knew to have
been donated to charity, while much
more money went the same way that he
never knew anything about. After Mr.
Batman had been keeping the account
for about a year Mr. Sherley in looking
over the books one day ran across the
"What's this?' he asked, in surprise.
"That's the charity account," an
swered Mr. Batman.
Mr. Sherley closed up the book and
laid it aside.
"I don't want to know what's given
away. We don't need the account," he
said, and he never afterward alluded to
it or looked at the book, but it in no way
lessened his devotion to aiding the needy.
A story of some of the bread Mr. Sher
ley cast upon the waters coming back to
Iii in was told by Mr. Batman, and the
happening caused .Mr. Sherley as much
pleasure as- anything that ever occurred
to him. When the night schools first
opened in Louisville Mr. Sherley offered
a prize for the best pupil among the boys.
He found a little fellow on Main street
who appeared bright and capable, but
had no education and was badly handi
capped by circumstances. He took an
interest in the boy at once, and, calling
him into his office, talked to htm of the
advantages of an education and advised
him to go to night school. He told the
boy that he would see him through. The
boy went to night school and won Mr.
Sherley's prize, which that year was a
silver watch. The prize was always de
livered to the winner at Mr. Sherley's
office, and when the winner called for it
he always gave the boy a good aud en
couraging talk. He treated the boy in
question according to his custom and
watched him for a while and then lost
sight of him, A year or so ago Mr.
Sherley was in a Northern city on busi
ness and was walking down one of the
business streets, when a well-dressed,
energetic young man accosted him.
"I guess you don't remember me, do
you, Mr. Sherley?" he asked.
Mr. Sherley said he did not.
"Well, I'm the young man you helped
through night school. I'm prospering
here and I want you to meet my family."
The young man took him to an elegant
home and an interesting family and in
troduced him as the man to whom he
owed his success. The young man was
one of the owners of the largest stove
manufactories in the town and one of the
largest in the country.
No one knows how many needy but
worthy girls and boys he had entered in
business college and either paid for their
education or aided them in securing the
education. When the boy or girl left the
school he always saw that they secured
Mr. T. J. Batman, who went with Mr.
Sherley in 1873 as an office boy, and who
j has been with him ever since, of late
years as a member of the firm, said that
during his twenty-six year's connection
with the company Mr. Sherley had never
discharged an employe.
"He was too tender-hearted to dis-
charge any one in his employ," said he,
"aud when it had to be done I was the
one that had to do it. He knew neither
creed nor color. Protestant and Catholic
were treated alike. Tnice a year, on
fixed dates, the Little Sisters of the Poor
called at the office and were given a
The funeral took place Thursday morn
ing from Christ Church Cathedral, Bishop
Dudley conducting the services. The
immense gathering of mourning friends
attested to the high esteem iu which the
deceased was held by rich and poor alike.
The remains were accompanied to Cave
Hill cemetery by Dc Molay and Louis
The active pall-bearers were Messrs. J.
Moss Terry, T. C. Timberlake, C. E.
Dunn, John II. Leathers, Samuel Cassi
day, Amcricus Whcdon, William H.
Meffert and John A. Stratton. The hon
orary pall-bearers were Messrs. E. L.
Miles, Attilla Cox, William Patterson,
Joseph Zom, E. A. Hewett, W. B. Halde
man, T. J. Batman, Oscar Fenley, William
Cornwall, James S. Pirtle, Charles Gib
son and Charles P. Weaver.
The Man Who First Printed
the Declaration of Inde
pendence. The first man who printed the immortal
Declaration of Independence, John Dun
lap, was born in Strabane, County
Tyrone, Ireland, in 1747. He emigrated
at the age of nine to the United States,
where he came to live with his uncle,
William Dunlap, who was one of the
first printers and publishers in Philadel
phia, and who, under Benjamin Frank
lin, became Postmaster at Lancaster, Pa.
In 1771 he issued the first number of
the Packet, or General Advertiser, and
soon after became an extensive publisher.
When the British had possession of Phil
adelphia ( September, 1777, to July, 1778),
owing to his taking the side of the pat
riots, Dunlap was compelled to move to
Lancaster, and in 1784 changed his paper
from a weekly to a daily, the first in the
When the First Continental Congress
assembled at Philadelphia, in 1774, John
Dunlap was appointed printer to the con
vention and also to Congress and in that
capacity had the honor of being the first
who "printed-the- Declaration -of --Independence,
to the principles and doctrines
of which his paper and his personal ef
fort, civilly and in action, were dedi
cated. Before the War of the Revolution he
was Lieutenant of a Philadelphia troop of
cavalry, aud at Princeton and Trenton
was the bodyguard of Gen. Washington.
After the battle of Trenton, in order to
reconnoiter the position of the enemy
and to obtain such information as was
required before the further movement of
the American army upon the enemy,
then at Princeton, six men volunteered
their services for this hazardous service
and placed themselves under command
of John Dunlap.
How this duty was performed is well
described by the historian: "The rav
ages of the British had struck such ter
ror that no rewards could tempt any one
to go to Princeton on this errand. The
men, under their able commander, set
out aud obtained such a perfect account
that WashiiiEtou was able to cive the
English another taste of defeat."
For this perilous undertaking Gen.
Washington thanked the six men in
these words: "Though gentlemen of
fortune, you have shown a noble ex
ample, a spirit and bravery which will
ever be gratefully remembered by me."
Near the close of the war John Dunlap
became Captain of his troop, and, al
though a higher military station was of
fered to him, he preferred his post in the
troop. In 1790. during the insurrection
of the four western counties of Pennsyl
vania, Major Dunlap aud his troop were
sent to Muddy Creek, Washington coun
ty, and by his dexterity in capturing the
leaders of the movement the insurrection
was suppressed. William Finley, in his
history of this insurrection, says: "After
Capt. Dunlap's capture of the prisoners
who committed outrages against the civil
authorities, he captured several important
witnesses, treated them with humanity
and provided them with lodgings and
victuals before taking refreshments him
self." Having thus patriotically served his
country against the oppression of Eng
land and the domestic disturbers of the
peace of their own country, he retired
to his business. In the winter of 1780,
while the American army was in winter
quarters at Morristown, N. J., where they
' suffered even more than at Valley Forge,
Mr. Dunlap contributed 20,000 to sup
ply provisions and other necessities for
the patriots, not mentioning his donation
to the Hibernian Society, of which he
was a member. Mr. Dunlap died on
November 27, 1812, and was buried with
all the honors of war.
HICKEY'S OPENING TODAY.
John Hickey will today open his new
house at Seventh and Oak to his friends
and the public. There will undoubtedly
be a large attendance, as he is one of the
most popular men in the business, aud
many will want to see the changes made
in the house so long occupied by John
Gillen. Mr. Hickey will serve an excel
lent dinner during the afternoon and
Entertained hy the Ladies' Aux
iliary Lost "Wednesday
Their Euchre and Reception
Filled llihcrnian Ball to
Vocal and Instrumental Miudc,
Refreshments and Two Ele
REQUESTED TO GIVE ANOTHER PARTY
The euchre and reception given by the
Ladies' Auxiliary of the Ancient Order of
Hibernians at Hibernian Hall Wednesday
evening was a decided success, the two
halls being taxed to their utmost capac
ity. The ladies are well pleased with the
results achieved, despite the inclemency
of the weather and the manv nitiir
; amuspments which were going on 'about
The halls were brilliantly illuminated,
those partaking in the euchre party occu
pying the regular lodge room, while a
merry party enjoyed the vocal and in
strumental music and danced to their
hearts' content in the hall used for danc
Tile tables were arranged so as to ac
commodate about one hundred players,
while those not wishing to take part in
the games were comfortably seated where
they could witness the contests. Promptly
at J o'clock State Secretary James Cole
man announced the rules to be observed
by the players, and until 10:30 o'clock
the vast throng enjoyed the playing of
euchre as they never had before. The
play was fast and good-natured, with
many laughable surprises and no traces
When the bell announced the hour of
10:30 Mrs. T. Meder was awarded the
ladies' prize, an elegant bisque candela
bra, while Mr. Pat Sullivan won an ele
gant knife, the prize played for by the
While the euchre party was progress
ing a vocal and instrumental programme
was carried out in the front hall, several
ballads and solos being exquisitely ren
dered by Miss Bee Mullarkey, who pos
sesses a voice oMhe highest order. In
addTtfon'toThe rendition of somehoice
selections on the piano there was danc
ing, which was greatly enjoyed by both
the young and the old.
Upon the conclusion of the euchre the
ladies of the auxiliary treated their guests
to an abundance of refreshments, which
were greatly relished. Those present
were delighted with the entertainment,
and an effort was made to have the ladies
announce another reception for some time
next month. They will very likely ac
cede to the request.
The officers and members of the Ladies'
Auxiliary left nothing undone to make
the occasion one to be remembered, and
all were loud in their praises of the good
work done by Mesdames M. J. Hickey,
James Coleman, Thomas Keenan Sallie
Burke, Arthur Brach and Misses Rose
Sweeney, Anna Bain, Anna Hagerty.
Nell Cunningham, Celia Potter, Maggie
O'Connor, Mary Cavanaugh, Bee Mul
larkey, Anna Gillen, Mary Kelly, Josie
Godfrey, Mary Godfrey, Mary Higgins,
Annie Kelly and Mary Harrety, who dis
tinguished themselves in the capacity of
chaperones and as members of the Re
YOUNG MEN'S INSTITUTE
Trinity Council Will Take Part
in (he iTuhilce in Honor
of the Legion.
Trinity Council held an interesting and
largely attended meeting at its club
house Monday evening, when two new
members were admitted and a great deal
of business transacted.
Nominations of officers to serve for the
ensuing year were made. The election
takes place Monday evening, and as
there is a lively interest in the result a
big turn-out of members is anticipated.
Trinity is determined to take a promi
nent part iu the welcome to be tendered
the Legion on its return home, and has
sent a notice to each of its members to
take part in the parade. Those who can
take part will send their names aud the
number of the hat they wear to A. H.
Hukenbeck, 1010 East Market street, at
A requiem mass will be celebrated
Wednesday morning by Rev. Father
O'Grady at his church, on Payne street,
for the deceased members of Trinity
A number of visitors are expected to be
present at the next meeting, among
them the editor of the Kentucky Irish
The Young Ladies' Auxiliary of Trinity
Council entertained the members Tues
day evening with a "donkey" party.
The prizes were won by Mr. Benj. F.
Hund and Mr. Charles Able. The cake
walk was decided in favor of Miss Annie
Daley and Mr. William Ritman. A
feature of the evening was the presenta
tion of a handsome chair to the President
by Miss Fannie Cuniffe on behalf of the
Young Ladies' Auxiliary, who did the
honor very gracefully, delivering a neat
little speech, which was responded to by
President Hund iu a very appropriate
manner. A thoroughly enjoyable even
ing was spent by those present.