About Fort Worth gazette. (Fort Worth, Tex.) 1891-1898
Fort Worth, Tex. (1891-1898)
- Fort Worth gazette. : (Fort Worth, Tex.) 1891-1898
- Alternative Titles:
- Fort Worth daily gazette July 3, 1893-Mar. 22, 1894
- Illustrated Sunday gazette Feb. 3, 1895
- Sunday illustrated Fort Worth gazette Feb. 10-Aug. 4, 1895
- Place of publication:
- Fort Worth, Tex.
- Geographic coverage:
- Democrat Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1898.
- Vol. 15, no. 150 (Mar. 14, 1891)-
- Daily (except Monday) June 3, 1895-<>
- Fort Worth (Tex.)--Newspapers.
- Also issued on microfilm from Microfilm Center, Inc.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Second section of Sunday ed. contains new banner with titles: Illustrated Sunday gazette, and: Sunday illustrated Fort Worth gazette (Feb. 3-Aug. 4, 1895).
- sn 86071158
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Fort Worth Gazette
The Fort Worth Gazette succeeded the Fort Worth Daily Gazette when the Daily Gazette's sister publication, the Fort Worth Weekly Gazette, was suspended in 1891. The new Fort Worth Gazette assumed the resources of the preceding titles, including the same publisher, the Democrat Publishing Company. Upon the death of its editor Walter Malone in that same year, ownership of the Gazette passed first to the Gazette Company and then to the State Printing Company. Former Daily Gazette editor Buckley B. Paddock recalled that “with [Malone’s] death the paper was doomed.” In 1896, the owners of the Fort Worth Gazette sold its Associated Press franchise and subscription list to The Dallas Morning News, and Fort Worth lost its only daily newspaper without warning.
During its brief lifetime, the Fort Worth Gazette appeared in three distinct editions: a daily (published every day of the year), a Sunday edition, and a weekly. The publishers nominally issued the Sunday edition as a daily, but the Sunday Gazette's length and character set it apart from the week’s other issues. Furthermore, for several months in 1895 the second part of the 16-page Sunday Gazette carried a banner reading Illustrated Sunday Gazette or the Sunday Illustrated Fort Worth Gazette. Readers could subscribe to the Sunday edition separately, and its circulation surpassed that of the other dailies.
By 1893, the daily edition numbered between eight and twelve pages, and reached 8,420 people at an annual subscription rate of $8.00, while the Sunday edition boasted a circulation rate of 10,400 at $2.00 per year. The weekly held the highest circulation rate of them all, at 17,070, at the cheapest price: $1.00 per year. All three editions measured 18 x 24 inches.
Erasmus G. Senter served as managing editor of the Fort Worth Gazette after Malone’s death. The paper continued to cover national and international events, obtained through wire services, and reported on civic life, real estate transactions, and railroad news in such columns as “Around the City”, “The City in Brief,” and “In and About Fort Worth.” The Gazette provided a look at Fort Worth’s history, often in the form of written remembrances of events and buildings. The paper maintained approximately forty branch offices throughout the state, including ones in Dallas and Abilene. The Gazette's “Texas in Type” and “Agricultural Department” columns and its market listings provided unique perspectives on matters of interest to all Texans.
When the Gazette gathered its daily and weekly operations under one banner in 1891, it implemented a few changes to its look and feel. Most prominently, the paper’s nameplate abandoned its former Gothic lettering in favor of a stately, more angular serif lettering. Furthermore, advertisements played a larger role on the Gazette's front page and masthead, and soon there was no mistaking it: the newspaper’s banner shared its space with local advertisers. In later years, the Gazette emphasized its independence by declaring in the editorial masthead: “Not Owned by the Trusts.”
Provided by: University of North Texas; Denton, TX