About The Missoulian. (Missoula, Mont.) 1900-1904
Missoula, Mont. (1900-1904)
- The Missoulian. : (Missoula, Mont.) 1900-1904
- Alternative Titles:
- Daily Missoulian
- Place of publication:
- Missoula, Mont.
- Geographic coverage:
- Fruit-Grower Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Began with May 1, 1900.
- Ceased in Nov. 1904.
- Daily (except Mon.) June 23, 1901-Nov. 1904
- Description based on: Vol. 27, no. 2 (May 2, 1900).
- Last issue located: Vol. 31, no. 170 (Nov. 12, 1904).
- sn 86075059
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- View complete holdings information
The ten-page, seven-column Missoulian represents the oldest continuously operating newspaper in Montana, publishing its first issue in 1873. In 1902, Harry O. Collins formed the Missoulian Publishing Company and remained editor of the Missoulian until he sold the newspaper to Joseph M. Dixon, Montana congressman and later governor of the state. Dixon hired Arthur Stone, a former Democratic state legislator and future dean of the journalism school at the University of Montana at Missoula, to edit the Missoulian.
The daily newspaper covered both national and international news with stories from the Associated Press, as well as providing local news about the university and stories promoting both the lumbering industry and agricultural interests to the south in the Bitterroot Valley and to the north in the Flathead/Mission Valleys. Dixon, a Progressive politician who managed Theodore Roosevelt’s Bull Moose Presidential campaign in 1912, also called for the opening of the Flathead Indian Reservation to white homesteaders in 1910. The Missoulian published a holiday edition promoting Missoula’s business opportunities and those related to both farming and logging. Dixon’s affiliation with Roosevelt and his call for a new tax on the mining industry and regulation of utility rates angered Amalgamated Copper (later the Anaconda Company). In 1926, the Anaconda Company purchased the Missoulian, one of a dozen newspapers it owned, evidence of the enormous control the industry exerted over the daily press in Montana.
Provided by: Montana Historical Society; Helena, MT