About The Bozeman weekly chronicle. (Bozeman, Mont.) 1883-1889
Bozeman, Mont. (1883-1889)
- The Bozeman weekly chronicle. : (Bozeman, Mont.) 1883-1889
- Place of publication:
- Bozeman, Mont.
- Geographic coverage:
- Chronicle Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 16 (May 16, 1883)-v. 7, no. 2 (Feb. 6, 1889).
- Bozeman (Mont.)--Newspapers.
- Issues for <Jan. 28-Nov. 18, 1885> also called: <Whole no. 105-147>.
- sn 86075108
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Bozeman Weekly Chronicle
On January 27, 1883, Samuel W. Langhorne, a trained druggist, published the first issue of the Bozeman [Montana] Weekly Chronicle, a nine-column Democratic weekly. Langhorne operated a drug store in Helena during the 1860s before moving to Bozeman in 1870 to establish its first drug store. Langhorne also served as a probate judge, legislator, and as a member of the ill-fated 1884 Constitutional Convention. Ironically, the second issue of the Chronicle advised against calling a convention in 1883 in order to wait for a completion of the Northern Pacific Railroad through Montana. From early on, advertising shared the front page with the news copy, and the promotion of agriculture dominated the newspaper.
In December 1884, Langhorne sold his interest in the Chronicle to Abel Kelsey Yerkes, a Quaker from New Jersey who gained notice beyond his newspaper career, which began with the Coulson Post in present day Billings, with his adventuresome travels across Montana in 1877 shortly after the Battle of the Little Bighorn. Yerkes’s travel reminiscences were published in the Hardin Tribune-Herald in 1929. Before moving to Bozeman, Yerkes had operated the Yellowstone Journal in Miles City. During the War of the Copper Kings in the 1890s, industrialist Marcus Daly purchased the Bozeman Chronicle, the successor to the Bozeman Weekly Chronicle, for $11,000. When the Chronicle became a daily in 1911, it was the smallest city newspaper to offer a full report of the Associated Press.
Provided by: Montana Historical Society; Helena, MT