About The state journal. (Jefferson City, Mo.) 1872-1886
Jefferson City, Mo. (1872-1886)
- The state journal. : (Jefferson City, Mo.) 1872-1886
- Place of publication:
- Jefferson City, Mo.
- Geographic coverage:
- Burch & Meredith
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Dec. 27, 1872)-v. 15, no. 34 (Aug. 6, 1886).
- Cole County (Mo.)--Newspapers.
- Jefferson City (Mo.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 87052128
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The State Journal
The State Journal appeared on December 27, 1872, as an eight-page paper, in Jefferson City, Missouri. Published with Burch & Meredith as editors/proprietors, the Journal was Republican in politics. Although Nelson Burch was the primary editor, at various times during the paperâ€™s existence, others were employed to do editorial writing.
In 1873, the firm of Burch and Meredith also started publishing the Daily State Journal, but in 1882, Meredith sold his share of the company to W. S. Ferguson.
A stock company composed of Democrats and Republicans, Burch & Ferguson was won a contract to be the printer for the State of Missouri. In 1883, Burch & Ferguson secured a contract with the state penitentiary inspectors to establish a printing office in the prison. The State Journal was printed from this office until it encountered opposition from printing establishments throughout the state. Both the State Journal and the printing office were boycotted, and the Burch & Ferguson eventually lost its contract with the prison. Soon after, both the paper and company were sold to James E. McHenry.
McHenry turned the State Journal into a Democratic paper, published in opposition to the other local Democratic newspaper, the Jefferson City Tribune and to the re-election of Francis M. Cockrell to the United States Senate. The reorganized State Journal had a precarious existence until the early part of 1887 at which time it ceased publication, leaving the Tribune unopposed.
With the sale of the State Journal to McHenry, the Republicans of Cole County were left without a party paper. This was soon remedied by Sylvester W. Cox who launched the State Times in August of 1886. Cox ran the State Times as the successor to the State Journal , using the same volume and number figures that the State Journal would have taken had it continued. The State Times ceased publication on October 18, 1888.
Provided by: State Historical Society of Missouri; Columbia, MO