Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Pensacola journal. (Pensacola, Fla.) 1898-1985
Pensacola, Fla. (1898-1985)
The Pensacola journal. : (Pensacola, Fla.) 1898-1985
- Alternative Titles:
- Place of publication:
- Pensacola, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
| View more titles from this:
- Mayes & Co.
- Dates of publication:
-88th year, no. 22 (June 2, 1985).
Began in 1898.
- Escambia County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Florida--Escambia County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215180
- Pensacola (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Also issued on microfilm from Bell & Howell, Micro Photo Division and the University of Florida.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 147 (Nov. 29, 1900).
- In March 1897, the Pensacola (FL) Journal [LCCN: sn87062268] was started as a weekly by M. Loftin. The Pensacola Journal became a daily in 1898. With competition at home in Pensacola, the newspaper's coverage included a large part of Florida. In 1922, the Pensacola Journal was purchased by John H. Perry, who in 1924 purchased the newspaper's rival, the Pensacola (FL) Evening News. For the next six decades, the Pensacola Journal continued to appear mornings and the Pensacola News evenings. Both newspapers remained extremely competitive. A combined Sunday edition published as the Pensacola (FL) News Journal [LCCN sn00059018] also became available. A consolidated newspaper, also known as the Pensacola (FL) News Journal [LCCN sn87062269] continued operations beginning June 3, 1985. This daily continues to this day (ca. 2008). Pensacola, Florida is the seat of government for Escambia County (FL); the western most city in the western most county of Florida. The city sits on Pensacola Bay, connecting to the Gulf of Mexico. Since the early colonial period, Pensacola had been an important naval port and economic center. By 1889, the city was already one of Florida's four largest cities. In 1890, Pensacola numbered 11,750 souls. The big news of 1898 was the beginning of the Spanish American War. Pensacola's Gulf Coast port, like others in Florida, hosted forces bound for Cuba, among them Teddy Roosevelt who passed through Pensacola on his way to Cuba through Tampa. Throughout the first decade of the 20th century, Pensacola experienced tremendous growth. By 1900, Pensacola had grown to 17,747 citizens. And, it increased another thirty percent by 1910, to 22,982 citizens. During the decade, following the Spanish American War, the United States of America secured the peace it had won over the Spanish in the Caribbean through naval patrols and maneuvers based out of Pensacola. From 1908 onward through the mid-century, Pensacola experienced urban expansion. 1908 saw the completion of a new Spanish Renaissance City Hall. 1910 witnessed the completion of the American National Bank building; at 10 stories, Pensacola's first skyscraper. 1910 also marked the construction of the San Carlos Hotel and a wooden bridge across Bayou Texar. By 1912, Pensacola had 21 miles of paved streets. Pensacola's first modern hospital, Pensacola Hospital, opened in 1915. And, in 1916, the city began operating its first motorized fire truck, and, had replaced all of its horse-drawn firefighting equipment by 1924. Since then through World War II, the history of Pensacola has been one of boom and bust. It underwent renewal and renewed growth following World War II.--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- Merged with: Pensacola news and Pensacola news-journal, to form: Pensacola news journal.
- Sunday ed.: Pensacola news-journal.
- sn 87062268
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
View complete holdings information