About White Oaks eagle. (White Oaks, N.M.) 189?-190?
White Oaks, N.M. (189?-190?)
- White Oaks eagle. : (White Oaks, N.M.) 189?-190?
- Place of publication:
- White Oaks, N.M.
- Geographic coverage:
- Hewitt & Watson
- Dates of publication:
- Began in July 1895? Ceased with Aug. 6, 1903?
- Lincoln County (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- New Mexico--Lincoln County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01218749
- New Mexico--White Oaks.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01297936
- White Oaks (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 4, no. 37 (Aug. 22, 1895).
- Filmed with other titles.
- Microfilm published by BMI Imaging Systems; issued in series: Chicano serials collection.
- sn 87090065
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
White Oaks Eagle
White Oaks is located in Lincoln County, New Mexico, 12 miles northeast of Carrizozo. In 1879, three prospectors discovered gold there and soon a mining camp flourished. By 1884, White Oaks had 1,000 residents. The White Oaks Eagle, previously the Old Abe Eagle, was first published on July 18, 1895, as volume IV number 32, which was a continuation of the numbering system of its predecessor. The first editor and publisher of the White Oaks Eagle were John Y. Hewitt and William Watson. Published in English only, the Eagle appeared weekly and was affiliated with the Democratic Party.
The Eagle carried advertisements for many local businesses including legal services, real estate, hotels, bars, cigar and liquor stores, general stores, and other non-local newspapers. An ad for Levi Strauss & Company noted that the jeans manufacturer employed over 350 girls. In August 1895, the Eagle stated that when the iron-clad contracts with various advertisers came to an end they would not be renewed, which would improve the appearance of the paper.
The White Oaks Eagle reported on local, territorial, national and some international news. It covered elections and other political events and the followed the movement to achieve statehood for New Mexico. On March 5, 1896, the Eagle reported that work had begun on the White Oaks Road where teams at Tenth and Stanton Streets throwing dirt for the White Oaks Railway. But despite the best hopes of the residents, the railway never arrived. Other local coverage focused on the school affairs. In one article appearing in the Eagle, the Honorable M.C. de Baca, Territorial Superintendent of Public Instruction, wrote that in schools districts where the majority of children are of Spanish speaking parents teachers should know both Spanish and English.
In 1897, William Watson sold the Eagle to Sidney M. Wharton and J.A. Haley. The paper then began publication at the Lincoln County Printing Company with Wharton as editor. The new owners, announced: The political affiliation of the EAGLE will remain, as in the past, Democratic; but we shall not hesitate to condemn the Democratic Party, or the action of its members, when we feel that they are in the wrong.
An annual subscription to the White Oaks Eagle cost $1.50 if paid in advance; otherwise it cost $2.00. A six-month subscription cost $1.00 and a three-month subscription cost 75 cent. A single copy sold for 5 cent. A special offer involved the sale of both the White Oaks Eagle and a non-local paper such as the Cincinnati Weekly Enquirer for the price of one. With the depletion of its gold deposits, people began drifting away from White Oaks, leading eventually to the suspension of the White Oaks Eagle, which in August 1903,merged with the Capitan Progress to form the short-lived Capitan News.
Provided by: University of New Mexico