About Blue hen's chicken and commonwealth. (Wilmington, Del.) 18??-186?
Wilmington, Del. (18??-186?)
- Blue hen's chicken and commonwealth. : (Wilmington, Del.) 18??-186?
- Place of publication:
- Wilmington, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Francis Vincent
- Dates of publication:
- Description based on: Vol. 5, no. 65 (May 7, 1862).
- Weekly ed.: Commonwealth (Wilmington, Del.).
- sn 88053048
- Related Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Delaware Democrat, The Commonwealth and Blue Hen's Chicken and Commonwealth
The Delaware Democrat was a weekly newspaper founded in Wilmington, Delaware, in 1857 by Dr. W. H. White and Dr. J. Stradley. Following the retirement of Dr. White, a Mr. Wharton of Dover joined the partnership. Under Wharton and Stradley, the paper became politically independent. Once Wharton retired, William T. Jeandell partnered with Stradley, and in 1858 the title was changed to the Commonwealth, with its offices at the corner of Fifth and Market Streets in Wilmington.
The Commonwealth was purchased from Jeandell and Stradley by Joseph M. Barr, who in December of 1861 sold the paper to Francis Vincent, the publisher of the Blue Hen's Chicken. He renamed the newspaper the Blue Hen's Chicken and Commonwealth. Vincent determined that the Blue Hen's Chicken and Commonwealth would serve as a mouthpiece for the Republican Party in Delaware, a party that he joined soon after it was organized. Vincent also used the newspaper to continue the anti-slavery efforts started with the publication of the original Blue Hen's Chicken. Vincent was personally committed to aiding Delaware's black population, both slave and free. In addition, he was deeply devoted to the issues of women's and workers' rights. While not an ardent prohibitionist, Vincent also advocated for moderation in the use of alcohol.
Vincent published the Blue Hen's Chicken and Commonwealth until the fall of 1863 when it was sold to the partnership of Allen and Biddle. The paper ceased publication shortly thereafter.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE