About The Sussex Republican. (Georgetown, Del.) 1888-1933
Georgetown, Del. (1888-1933)
- The Sussex Republican. : (Georgetown, Del.) 1888-1933
- Place of publication:
- Georgetown, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Sussex Republican Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1888? Ceased in 1933.
- Description based on: Vol. 9, no. 20 (Nov. 10, 1894).
- sn 88053058
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
The Sussex Republican
The Sussex Republican was a weekly newspaper founded in Georgetown, Delaware, in 1886 by Reverend A. D. Davis, a member of the Wilmington M. E. Conference. As its title implies, the newspaper was Republican in nature and fully supported Republican candidates for national, state, and county elections. Established at a time when the Delaware Republican Party was encountering upheaval, the Sussex Republican promoted Republican candidates regardless of faction.
The Sussex Republican was published every Saturday and included news of the national as well as the local Republican Party. In fact, with the victory of a Republican candidate for governor in November of 1894, the Sussex Republican stated, "We congratulate ourselves in the belief that the Sussex Republican did its full share toward bringing about the grand result in this county last Tuesday." The newspaper published official returns for elections and, consequently, could demonstrate the role of Sussex County voters in bringing about Republican victories.
In addition to political news, the Sussex Republican printed general local news such as train times and hints for the household. The editor also encouraged civic involvement among its readers by advocating for a section of the southern route of the Queen Anne Railroad through the area of Georgetown.
As Republican political involvement began to wane in the early 1910s, the Sussex Republican noted that "The present activity of the Democrats in this State is in strong contrast to the lack of it on the part of Republicans." It is unknown when the Sussex Republican ceased publication, but it remained in print at least through 1916.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE