About The Delaware City news. (Delaware City, Del.) 188?-18??
Delaware City, Del. (188?-18??)
- The Delaware City news. : (Delaware City, Del.) 188?-18??
- Place of publication:
- Delaware City, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- News Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 30 (July 9, 1887).
- sn 88053083
- View complete holdings information
The Delaware City News
The Delaware City News was a weekly founded in Delaware City, Delaware, on July 2, 1887. Edited and managed by Charles W. B. Marshall, the newspaper was published by the New Publication Company. Issued every Saturday, its motto was "A Paper for the People." Subscription costs were $1 per year, and obituary notices were 5 cents per line. Marshall stated the newspaper's mission: "The News is a journal devoted to the interests and progress of Delaware City and will be welcomed in every household. It will be distinctly pronounced on all subjects pertaining to the welfare of the people- independent in tone, honest in all things."
The Delaware City News included commercial information from Philadelphia and noted the market demand and prices for butter, poultry, eggs, vegetables, and livestock. In addition, it published short fiction, reports on personal activities of Delaware City residents, advertisements for local businesses, and a city church directory. Due to its location on the Delaware River, the News also included a section on fishery notes.
The paper also covered national and international news in short columns named "News in Brief" and "Foreign Notes." As the News grew, Marshall included more national information. For example, the front page of the March 7, 1889 issue was almost entirely devoted to the inauguration of President Benjamin Harrison, while the following week's edition included extensive coverage of prairie fires in Dakota Territory.
Marshall remained proprietor and editor through the beginning of April 1889 when he sold the Delaware City News to James Hessey Dillworth, a native of Delaware, who took over as owner and editor. It is unknown when the Delaware City News ceased publication, although Dillworth published at least one edition on April 11, 1889.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE