Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1943 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Dickson County herald. (Dickson, Tenn.) 1907-1979
Dickson, Tenn. (1907-1979)
- The Dickson County herald. : (Dickson, Tenn.) 1907-1979
- Place of publication:
- Dickson, Tenn.
- Geographic coverage:
- W.L. Pinkerton
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Nov. 15, 1907)-v. 73, no. 5 (Nov. 29, 1979).
- Dickson (Tenn.)--Newspapers.
- Dickson County (Tenn.)--Newspapers.
- Tennessee--Dickson County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01223300
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Publishers: W.L. Pinkerton, 1907-1911; R.A. Freeman, 1911; Herald Pub. Co., 1911-<1942>; Freeman & Ishmael, 1942-1949; Leland G. Ishmael, 1949-1968; Community Newspapers Inc., 1968-1973; Multimedia, 1973-1979.
- sn 89058337
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Dickson County Herald
W.L. Pinkerton established the Dickson County Herald in 1907 in the town of Dickson, Tennessee, an agricultural and manufacturing area located west of Nashville. The town was home to Dickson Normal College, where Hattie Carraway, the first woman elected to the U.S. Senate was educated. The college was located near the utopian Ruskin colony, founded by newspaper editor (the Coming Nation) and socialist Julius Augustus Wayland in the late 19th century.
W.L. Pinkerton served as editor and publisher of the Herald, an eight-page weekly Democratic newspaper, published each Friday. The Herald operated in direct competition with the Home Enterprise, established in 1890 as a Democratic weekly and also published each Friday. In 1910, Gordon W. Cullan served briefly as the publisher and editor of the Herald, but by 1911 Pinkerton was again listed in the dual role. Under Pinkerton's leadership, the Dickson County Herald began outpacing the Home Enterprise, listing circulation figures of 1,440. After 1912, the Herald operated under the corporate umbrella of the Herald Publishing Company with Ralph A. Freeman as business manager, and offered readers community news--the requisite birth and death announcements and notices of local clubs, but it also contained modern elements, such as regional and national news purchased from wire services. Advertising space was taken up by both local businesses and national companies such as Coca Cola, Ford, and Kodak. By 1916, the thriving Herald had eliminated its competition, and by decade’s end, R.A. Freeman and Pitt Henslee had stepped into the role of managing editor and editor in chief, respectively. Both men had previous experience in newspapering--Freeman had worked at the Dickson Verdict, and Henslee, a banker by profession, was former publisher of the Dickson News. After Henslee's death in 1927, Freeman remained at the helm of the Herald until the 1940s. In the 1960s, the Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle purchased the Herald, and it went through several changes of ownership over the following decades. In the 21st century, it is published online by Gannett, as the Dickson Herald.
Provided by: University of Tennessee