About The Valley City times. (Valley City, Barnes County, Dakota [N.D.]) 1880-1882
Valley City, Barnes County, Dakota [N.D.] (1880-1882)
- The Valley City times. : (Valley City, Barnes County, Dakota [N.D.]) 1880-1882
- Place of publication:
- Valley City, Barnes County, Dakota [N.D.]
- Geographic coverage:
- C.M. Greene & Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 2, no. 27 (Dec. 9, 1880)-v. 4, no. 26 (Nov. 30, 1882).
- "Official Paper of Barnes County and this Sub-Land District", 1880-1882.
- Available on microfilm from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
- Includes section: Tower City bulletin, 1880-1881.
- sn 89074268
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- View complete holdings information
The Valley City Times
With a name descriptive of its location in the valley of the Sheyenne River in North Dakota, Valley City was situated on the Northern Pacific Railroad. The first volume of the Northern Pacific Times rolled off the press in Valley City on June 12, 1879, under the guidance of publisher Dr. S. B. Coe. George A. Vallandigham, newspaperman from Ohio, was editor, but approximately a year later C. M. Greene took over and the name of the paper was changed to the Valley City Times. Vallandigham would eventually establish a rival newspaper in 1884, the North Dakota Democrat, which became the North Dakota Patriot in 1891 and which continued into the 1920s.
On June 8, 1882, Charles Richardson purchased the Times and launched a daily edition. Richardson, formerly of the St. Paul Pioneer Press in Minnesota, had been brought out west to handle the print shop. This daily edition, the Valley City Daily Times, was short-lived, lasting only until February 28, 1885. The Valley City Times continued as a weekly. Meanwhile, in April 1882, a group of Barnes County businessmen inaugurated a publishing company and launched the Barnes County Record. With L. Edward Davison as editor, the Record flourished and merged with the Times to form the Times Record. A series of editors followed, including Walter F. Cushing, secretary of the State Historical Society of North Dakota, a personal friend of Theodore Roosevelt, and a former editor of the Bismarck Tribune.
Stephen A. Nye acquired the Times Record in January of 1899, and it was under his ownership that the newspaper launched for a second time a daily edition. The Evening Times-Record appeared on July 2, 1906, and continued under that name until 1915 when it became the Daily Times Record. Frank Packard, a relative newcomer to the newspaper business, assumed control of the paper, followed by E. D. Lum.
In 1918, English-born Percy Trubshaw, an outspoken, 35-year veteran of the journalistic field in North Dakota, became editor. Trubshaw purchased the Times Record from Lum in 1927 and renamed it the Valley City Times Record, which he operated until his death in 1933, when his wife and family took over. The weekly edition ceased in 1922.
Next, Don Matchan purchased the Times Record but soon found that his style was not highly favored by the businessmen of Valley City, who threatened to boycott the newspaper. Although Matchan was initially determined to remain editor, he eventually sold the newspaper to an investment group, and on October 1, 1947, the Valley City Times-Record and the Barnes County News was incorporated. Numerous changes in the editorship of the newspaper have since occurred, and the plant has been modernized, but after 134 years the Times Record remains a viable part of the community of Valley City.
Provided by: State Historical Society of North Dakota