About The Batesburg advocate. volume (None) 1901-1911
- The Batesburg advocate. volume : (None) 1901-1911
- Geographic coverage:
- Dates of publication:
- Began with January 16, 1901; ceased with October 27, 1911.
- Batesburg (S.C.)--Newspapers.
- Lexington County (S.C.)--Newspapers.
- South Carolina--Batesburg.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01232286
- South Carolina--Lexington County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207422
- Description based on: Vol. 1, No. 1 (January 16, 1901); title from masthead.
- Latest issue consulted: October 27, 1911.
- sn 92065508
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Batesburg Advocate
The weekly Batesburg Advocate (1901-1911) captured the town of Batesburg, located in the western corner of Lexington County, South Carolina, during a period of heightened civic pride and economic growth. Batesburg and its neighbor, Leesville, had sprouted up in the 1870s as the Charleston, Columbia, and Augusta Railroad expanded its rail lines and opened up new markets. By 1901, Batesburg had its own bank (First National), cotton mill (Middleburg), and college (Batesburg Collegiate Institute). The town would later host the Tri-County Fair (representing Aiken, Lexington, and Saluda Counties) and the South Carolina State Colored Fair, cementing Batesburg’s status as an up-and-coming economic center.
The Batesburg Advocate began as the Saluda Advocate, which was first published in Mount Willing, in Lexington County, and then in Saluda, the seat of Saluda County. In December 1900, manager Eugene Walter Able moved the Saluda Advocate to Batesburg and sold it to John Bell Towill. The first issue of the newly rechristened Batesburg Advocate appeared on January 16, 1901. In his salutatory, Towill declared, "So long as the paper remain[s] under the present management, it will never be the organ of any politician or clique." In an ironic twist, Towill entered the political arena shortly thereafter, serving two terms in the South Carolina House of Representatives and a stint as a board member for the South Carolina Dispensary between 1904 and 1905.
In 1903, John Towill sold the Advocate to Nathan Rogers Bayly. Under Bayly's leadership, the Advocate branded itself "All the news of three counties condensed." In the summer of 1911, Bayly sold the Advocate to John Oscar Eargle, the editor and proprietor of the Leesville News. Eargle merged the two papers soon afterward, creating the Leesville News-advocate. The last issue of the Batesburg Advocate appeared on October 27, 1911.
Provided by: University of South Carolina; Columbia, SC