Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1925 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The eagle. (Silver City, N.M.) 1894-1???
Silver City, N.M. (1894-1???)
- The eagle. : (Silver City, N.M.) 1894-1???
- Place of publication:
- Silver City, N.M.
- Geographic coverage:
- Loomis & Oakes
- Dates of publication:
- Ceased with Aug. 17, 1900?
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Aug. 22, 1894)-
- Grant County (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- New Mexico--Grant County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216849
- New Mexico--Silver City.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01220466
- Silver City (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Albuquerque, N.M. : University of New Mexico Library.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Vol. 2, no. 1 (Aug. 82, 1898) mislabled Vol. 1, no. 1.
- sn 92070477
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Eagle commenced weekly publication in Silver City, New Mexico, on August 22, 1894 and continued through August 17, 1900. Silver City had been established in 1870 by a Captain Hurlburt, and the following year it became the seat of Grant County. The settlers ignited an already explosive situation with the Apaches, and the silver mines and cattle ranches in this isolated region were vulnerable to Indian attack. Consequently, many territorial newspapers called for the extermination of the Apache or their removal from the Southwest. The arrival of the telegraph in 1876 and the railroad in 1883 spurred the growth of Silver City. The town's population expanded rapidly and included a number of journalists, who founded eight newspapers between 1879 and 1883. The press in turn stimulated the further growth of the mining sector through its accounts of mineral discoveries that encouraged prospectors and capitalists alike to settle in Silver City. News of these developments was disseminated through a network of exchanges with newspapers in other parts of the country.
On August 24, 1900, the Eagle moved to Santa Fe and, assumed the title of the Santa Fe Eagle. Between 1900 and 1910, four new weeklies were established in Santa Fe. Among them, the Eagle became the most important and absorbed the Spanish-language El Boletin Popular in 1908. The Eagle supported the interest of the Democratic Party. It published local, territorial, national, and international news exclusively in English every Wednesday morning. A one-year subscription to the Eagle cost $2.00, a six- month subscription $1.00, a three-month subscription 50 cents, and a daily copy five cents.
A.J. Loomis & H.L. Oakes were the first editors and publishers of the Eagle. Loomis stayed with the Eagle when it re-emerged in Santa Fe. In 1909, Loomis reported that the Governor of New Mexico, George Curry, had physically and verbally assaulted him during a meeting in Curry's private office at the state capitol. Shortly afterward, Governor Curry submitted his resignation to President William H. Taft.
Provided by: University of New Mexico