Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Cimarron news and press. (Cimarron, N.M.) 1907-19??
Cimarron, N.M. (1907-19??)
- The Cimarron news and press. : (Cimarron, N.M.) 1907-19??
- Place of publication:
- Cimarron, N.M.
- Geographic coverage:
- Cimarron Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan. 10, 1907)-
- Cimarron (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Colfax County (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- New Mexico--Cimarron.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01283738
- New Mexico--Colfax County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217271
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 92070543
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Cimarron Citizen and Cimarron News and Press
Cimarron, New Mexico, named for the river on which the community grew is located in Colfax County, where a post office was established in 1861. Cimarron began in 1841 with the filing of the Mexican Beaubien-Miranda Land Grant, later known as the Maxwell Grant, representing one of the largest contiguous private landholdings in the history of the United States. This designation, together with Cimarron being the principal stop on the Taos branch of the Santa Fe Trail, made the town a natural gathering place for travelers, ranchers, miners, traders, and outlaws. From 1872 to 1882, Cimarron was the seat of Colfax County. Cimarron declined in influence in the 1880s when Raton became a railroad center, but tourism and resource-based industries have kept the town alive. Today, Cimarron is a getaway for visitors seeking cool mountain air, a touch of history, trout fishing, and activities off the beaten path.
The Cimarron Citizen was first published on March 4, 1908. It appeared every Wednesday in English with the motto "Published in the interest of Cimarron, the Cimarron Valley, Colfax County, and the Territory of New Mexico"--those words appearing just beneath the masthead. The first editor and publisher was George E. Remley. In the premier edition, the Citizen announced to the town of Cimarron and to the world at large that "Its first, last and continuous efforts will be for the betterment, advancement and the promotion of each and every legitimate and deserving enterprise which tends to up build Cimarron especially, and also increase the commercial welfare of the Cimarron Valley, Colfax County, and the Territory of New Mexico." Included in the first issue is an apology to its readers "For the ripeness and age of some of its news. As Mrs. O'Toole puts it, paragorically speaking we are going to give you the news whether it is news or not." An annual subscription cost $2. In 1911, the Cimarron Citizen merged with the Cimarron News and Press to form the Cimarron News-Citizen.
The Cimarron Citizen reported local, territorial, national, and eventually international news. An example of local coverage was an account on March 4, 1908, of a robbery of the post office in Dawson, a nearby coal mining town. It turns out that the perpetrator was a 14-year-old boy who confessed and implicated three of his friends. The article reported that because they were so young, leniency would be shown.
Newspapermen in Cimarron and the surrounding area were deeply involved in a campaign to end the reign of crime and terror that plagued New Mexico in this period. These editors represented a new element that was part of the large wave of Anglo-American immigrants accompanying railway construction in the territory. As law enforcement struggled to keep order in New Mexico, territorial editors endorsed extraordinary measures to cope with the violence. Most approved of the use of territorial militia. In the case of the legal yet unjust Maxwell Land Grant, the press advocated for a peaceful and orderly society and solution.
Provided by: University of New Mexico