Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1925 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Cimarron news and Cimarron citizen. (Cimarron, Colfax County, N.M.) 19??-19??
Cimarron, Colfax County, N.M. (19??-19??)
- The Cimarron news and Cimarron citizen. : (Cimarron, Colfax County, N.M.) 19??-19??
- Alternative Titles:
- Cimarron news and citizen <1915>
- Cimarron news and the Cimarron citizen
- Place of publication:
- Cimarron, Colfax County, N.M.
- Geographic coverage:
- Cimarron Print. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Cimarron (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Colfax County (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- New Mexico--Cimarron.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01283738
- New Mexico--Colfax County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217271
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 48 (Jan. 7, 1911).
- sn 92070544
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Cimarron News and Cimarron Citizen
The Cimarron News and Cimarron Citizen served the ranching community of Cimarron in Colfax County, New Mexico. Cimarron earned the title “cowboy capital of northern New Mexico” and served as the county seat from 1872 to 1882. The town was officially founded in 1841 and was named after the nearby Cimarron River. Serving as headquarters for the Maxwell Land Grant, it had been a main stopping place along the Taos branch of the Santa Fe Trail attracting travelers, miners, traders, ranchers, and outlaws. Cimarron’s prestige waned in the 1880s as Raton became a key railroad center in the region. Tourism and exploitation of the area's abundant natural resources have helped the town continue.
The first newspaper launched at Cimarron was the Cimarron News in 1870. The Cimarron News and Cimarron Citizen commenced on March 4, 1908, and continued weekly publication through July 26, 1917. It was formed by a merger of the Cimarron Citizen and the Cimarron News and Press. It was published for a time as the Cimarron News-Citizen. The January 7, 1911 edition claimed in the heading that the newspaper had the, “Best equipped printing plant in northeast New Mexico,” where it also offered “Fine job and print work.” The heading also urged “Come to Cimarron—an ideal town in which to build an ideal home.” A year subscription to the paper cost $2.00, and it was printed every Saturday.
The Cimarron News and Cimarron Citizen published occasional Spanish language content, usually limited to legal notices.
Provided by: University of New Mexico