About The evening herald. (Albuquerque, N.M.) 1914-1922
Albuquerque, N.M. (1914-1922)
- The evening herald. : (Albuquerque, N.M.) 1914-1922
- Alternative Titles:
- Sunday herald
- Place of publication:
- Albuquerque, N.M.
- Geographic coverage:
- The Evening Herald
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 2, no. 277 (Jan. 27, 1914)-v. 13, no. 105 (July 11, 1922).
- Daily 1914-Apr. 16, 1921
- Albuquerque (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Bernalillo County (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- New Mexico--Albuquerque.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01205799
- New Mexico--Bernalillo County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01218455
- Also on microfilm: Santa Fe, N.M. : New Mexico State Library.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 92070582
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Albuquerque Evening Herald, The Evening Herald and The Albuquerque Herald
The Albuquerque Evening Herald served New Mexico's most populous city, located in Bernalillo County. By 1900, Albuquerque had 6,238 inhabitants and nearly doubled its population to 11,020 a decade later. Albuquerque expanded along with the railroads, including the New Mexico Eastern which by 1909 had extended the town's trading area to the Texas state line. Newspapers in Albuquerque competed vigorously with fifteen weekly and six dailies produced between 1900 and 1912. Additionally, seven specialized journals drew their profits, in part, from Albuquerque. The Albuquerque Daily Citizen (forerunner to the Albuquerque Evening Herald) and the Albuquerque Journal-Democrat and their descendants were the largest newspapers. Neither proved dominant until 1905 when Thomas Hughes, editor of the Daily Citizen, because of his ailing health, sold the newspaper to several Republicans. Four years later, a group of Democrats combined the Daily Citizen and the Tribune to form the Tribune-Citizen. In just two years, the Tribune-Citizen went bankrupt and was sold to another group of Republicans who renamed it the Albuquerque Herald.
The Albuquerque Evening Herald commenced daily publication on March 7, 1911, and continued, with minor name changes, through June 19, 1926. It was succeeded by the Albuquerque Journal. Title variations included the Evening Herald and the Albuquerque Herald which was an evening edition of the Albuquerque Morning Journal. "Today’s news today," the July 1, 1912, edition boasted in the heading, "You get it in the Herald." A monthly subscription to the Herald at that time cost 50 cents for delivery by mail or 60 cents by carrier; yearly mail subscriptions cost $5.00 by mail or $6.00 by carrier. Horace B. Hening and James B. Black owned the paper while E. Dana Johnson served as editor. "Ten pages today," the Herald bragged, noting that it was "[p]ublished every afternoon except Sunday." By January 2, 1920, a single issue of the Herald cost five cents and a one-month subscription 75 cents by mail or carrier or $7.50 for one year. Readers could expect international, national, state, and local news from the "Official paper of the city of Albuquerque."
Provided by: University of New Mexico