The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > White Oaks golden era.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Pages Available: 8,760,709

Title:
White Oaks golden era. : (White Oaks, Lincoln County, N.M.) 188?-18??
Place of publication:
White Oaks, Lincoln County, N.M.
Geographic coverage:
  • White Oaks, Lincoln, New Mexico  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
J.C.O. Morse & Co.
Dates of publication:
188?-18??
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Lincoln County (N.M.)--Newspapers.
  • White Oaks (N.M.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Also on microfilm: Las Vegas, N.M. : New Mexico HIghlands Universty Library.
  • Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 42 (Sept. 29, 1881).
LCCN:
sn 93061641
OCLC:
28082108
Succeeding Titles:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

White Oaks golden era. December 13, 1883, Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

White Oaks Golden Era

Located in Lincoln County, White Oaks is on New Mexico 349, 12 miles northeast of Carrizozo. In 1879, three prospectors discovered gold at this location, and soon a mining camp named White Oaks Spring sprouted. It was named after the two springs situated several miles from the mining town. Both the gold mine and the nearby mining camp flourished and soon attracted a number of journalists. By 1884, White Oaks had 1,000 residents, and in the years that followed it was known as the liveliest town in the territory. Yet, despite the hopes of the residents, the railroad never came to White Oaks. After the gold mines were depleted, people began drifting away and White Oaks started its long decline.

The White Oaks Golden Era, founded in December 1880, was the town's very first paper. It was a weekly, English only, politically unaffiliated publication. Subscriptions sold for $3.00 per year, $2.00 for six months, and $1.10 for three months. The White Oaks Golden Era advertised itself as the oldest paper in Lincoln County. The first known editor and publisher are J.H. Wise and G.W. Pritchard. During its lifetime, the White Oaks Golden Era reported local, territorial, national and international news, covering for example the assassination of President Garfield in September 1881. By 1883, the White Oaks Golden Era's masthead included a motto that read "New Mexico as a state; The Development of its resources and the elevation of its people." In April 1884, an article appeared about suffragist Susan B. Anthony, describing her as "the great agitator of woman’s right to be equal with men at the ballot box."

News relating to and about stock was important to the town of White Oaks. The front page of the Golden Era mostly reported on issues related to livestock under a column titled Stock News. The entire middle page contained information about cattle. It included a hand-drawn picture of the animals with the brand, the particular location of which owner the animal was identified, and the address of the owner. The paper also covered stock laws governing the management of cattle, reported on the activities of the stock association, and announced rewards offered for recovered livestock, along with providing descriptions of the missing or stolen animals. The section of the White Oakes Golden Era reporting stolen or missing stock was the only part of the paper that made use of the Spanish language.

After a period of rapid turnover in editors and publishers, the White Oaks Golden Era ceased publication in July 1884. The paper moved to the nearby town of Lincoln whose citizens demanded a paper to serve the county seat. The White Oaks Golden Era acknowledged their wishes, noting that "they [had] moved for the interest of the county at large." On July 17, 1884, the paper assumed the new title Golden Era.

Provided by: University of New Mexico